Dragonsbone

HBO confirms on working on four potential spinoffs of GOT

176 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Dragonsbone said:

Here is the article of ew, where HBO confirmed to them, that they are currently working on four potential spinoffs of GOT

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/game-of-thrones-prequels-spinoffs/

They don't know yet, wich and how many of the spinoffs are gona make it as a final show on television. But GRRM and DD are listed as excecutive producers. 

 

This fucking sucks! :angry2: It already spells trash because we know damned well, based on the show that bores me to sleep already, that we won't come close to getting anything close to the real story.

If it was a different channel, because HBO is pretty one tracked tits and dragons, and definitely with NO D or D involved, then maybe.

Sometimes it is better to end on a high note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This fucking sucks! :angry2: It already spells trash because we know damned well, based on the show that bores me to sleep already, that we won't come close to getting anything close to the real story.

If it was a different channel, because HBO is pretty one tracked tits and dragons, and definitely with NO D or D involved, then maybe.

Sometimes it is better to end on a high note.

There is a simple solutions mate: don't watch it. No one is forcing you :blink:. I tend to think that HBO will survive one person not watching it. 

"..because WE know damned well, based on the show that it bores ME to sleep...". I dont even know how to respond to that :o

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dragonsbone said:

There is a simple solutions mate: don't watch it. No one is forcing you :blink:. I tend to think that HBO will survive one person not watching it. 

"..because WE know damned well, based on the show that it bores ME to sleep...". I dont even know how to respond to that :o

 

Awesome. Thanks for the reply, and gods damn, I never thought of that not watching option. I guess I was already ahead of myself when I stopped watching halfway through season 6. Truly, you are superior :bowdown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Awesome. Thanks for the reply, and gods damn, I never thought of that not watching option. I guess I was already ahead of myself when I stopped watching halfway through season 6. Truly, you are superior :bowdown:

You are welcome. Also if it helps: do not watch any show that you don't like. I read it somewhere on the internet, that you can actually do it...crazy right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

You are welcome. Also if it helps: do not watch any show that you don't like. I read it somewhere on the internet, that you can actually do it...crazy right?

I tend not to which is why I am happy this info was brought to me before I wasted my time and money on shyte such as this.

And don't believe everything you read on the interwebs. Some people have this idea that game of thrones is somehow good anymore :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I tend not to which is why I am happy this info was brought to me before I wasted my time and money on shyte such as this.

And don't believe everything you read on the interwebs. Some people have this idea that game of thrones is somehow good anymore :dunno:

Not just some people. The vast majority of the viewing audience think it's a good show, otherwise rating would have gone way down by now, rather than up. You don't have to agree with their opinions, but you should respect them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they go with a show set in the Age of Heroes era.  They need a heavy magic component, I think.  There is no magic in the world during the Robert's rebellion era or during the time of the Dunk and Egg stories.  I don't want to see Dance of the Dragons.  I'm not as fascinated by Targaryen history as GRRM and others are.

But whatever they choose, it will be a money grab. It might be alright, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I tend not to which is why I am happy this info was brought to me before I wasted my time and money on shyte such as this.

And don't believe everything you read on the interwebs. Some people have this idea that game of thrones is somehow good anymore :dunno:

Yeah...I don't get those people too. Having an own opinion and being the vast majority. How can they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

I hope they go with a show set in the Age of Heroes era.  They need a heavy magic component, I think.  There is no magic in the world during the Robert's rebellion era or during the time of the Dunk and Egg stories.  I don't want to see Dance of the Dragons.  I'm not as fascinated by Targaryen history as GRRM and others are.

But whatever they choose, it will be a money grab. It might be alright, though. 

I would love that. That was also the first thing, that came to my mind. But I am not sure if HBO will go that way. GOT is liked by so many people, because there is actually not that many magic involved, but rather political conflicts. But involving more magic, more mysteries, that would be awesome :D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could try the True Detective way of making a show: anthologies.

IIRC, HBO is already making plans for TD Season 3. They may want to do the sme with these spin-offs: each season, a new story. They have plenty of them at their disposal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't find the money grab argument to be particularly compelling. every single film, television show, product, video game, etc etc etc ever created is a money grab. They are all made to make money. People don't make things with the intention of not making money ffs. 

I think it'll be best as 13 episode miniseries-es, which I guess would be considered an anthology. 

13 Episodes on the Conquest, 13 episodes on the Dance, 13 episodes on the Age of Heroes, etc etc etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would be most interested in the princess and the queen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tifani said:

Personally I would be most interested in the princess and the queen 

bless you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, dsug said:

i don't find the money grab argument to be particularly compelling. every single film, television show, product, video game, etc etc etc ever created is a money grab. They are all made to make money. People don't make things with the intention of not making money ffs. 

I think it'll be best as 13 episode miniseries-es, which I guess would be considered an anthology. 

13 Episodes on the Conquest, 13 episodes on the Dance, 13 episodes on the Age of Heroes, etc etc etc. 

I think anthology would be the best way to go. It's a format that seems to be gaining in popularity with "prestige" cable TV: Fargo, AHS, True Detective, Feud, etc. No need to drag out plotlines, they could change up the cast, setting, and time period every season, and they could theoretically keep it running for several years. AHS will be airing its seventh season this fall. Each season could be, like AHS, "Game of Thrones: [season's name]." We may also get tighter, better storytelling if the writers have to confine themselves to 13 episodes per story...theoretically, anyway.

It doesn't sound as if HBO is going in that direction, though. I'm guessing they want to take one concept and try to make an ongoing non-anthology series out of it, to which I say good luck with that.

Edited by Newstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really would not be interested in Robert's Rebellion. We (including show only people) already knows how that plays out as well as what happens to all the major players thus taking away any 'shock value'. Added to that, we could still get more info on the Rebellion via Bran and/or other characters in upcoming seasons of GoT. I think that the story of the rebellion will be sufficiently covered in GoT making it pointless for HBO to do a spin-off based off of it.

I would love to see DoD/TPatQ or Aegon's Conquest. The only issue there is the question of budget. DoD especially will require significant investment. I don't think that D&E would work out well as a series - there just isn't enough material and nobody (I'd wager even GRRM himself) knows when/if that series will be completed, which means that the showrunners would be out of source material after one, maybe two, seasons. D&E might be appreciated by fans of the books if done well but I don't see it capturing the imagination of the vast majority of GoT viewers.

I like the anthology idea posted upthread. Think that format would work best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of an Anthology series, with different stories each season, but I doubt that will happen.

Personally, I believe of the 4 mentioned spinoffs, Aegons conquest has by far the best potential for success.

It is not so far removed from ASOIAF like Dunk and Egg. It isn't absent any semblance of magic or dragons which a lot of people love about GoT like Roberts Rebellion does and it's more familiar than Dance of Dragons.

Aegon the Conqueror's name has been mentioned numerous times during GoT (By Tywin when talking to Arya, by Sansa in responding to question from Septa Mordane, by Littlefinger talking to Varys re Iron Throne, by Davos and Stannis talking to each other, etc). He is a familiar name to show watchers, not just the book readers.

Seeing how Westeros was just before Aegon's conquest (with Harren the Black, Torrhen Stark, etc as kings of their respective kingdoms) and seeing Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya's political moves as well as battle moves in their conquering of Westeros could be fascinating. Only limited details about the conquest have been revealed, leaving a lot of opportunity for the show runners to fill in the blanks and really create their own story.

Limited details we do know, like the Field of Fire where all 3 dragons were unleashed and roasted over 4000 men, would be absolutely amazing scenes on screen if done right.

Indeed, I think Aegons Conquest has the possibility to be an even better show than Game of Thrones under better showrunners and writers. D&D messed up a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would feel better if d&d were not involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's official then. We are never ever getting ADOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I would feel better if d&d were not involved.

If it makes you feel any better, GRRM has retained a co-exec producer credit throughout the duration of the show, even though he hasn't contributed anything to the show for the last few years. Just because D&D are executive producers doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have any creative input. I think HBO's press statement even said that D&D are looking forward to a hard-earned break or however it was phrased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I would feel better if d&d were not involved.

Well, I think they did a good job until they outpaced the books. When they did, things didn't go well. Just look at the Dorne plot in Seasons 5 and 6, also would have liked to have seen more of the Blackfish.

I'd personally like to see Robert's Rebellion or Dunk and Egg as a show. To diverge into actors, I think they can still use the actors as Young Ned (Robert Aramayo), Lyanna (Aisling Franciosi) and Ser Gregor Clegane (Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now