Kalbear

US Politics: Locked, Loaded, Fired Up and Capitalized

416 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi my fellow americans, please I have a question :

Do you think that it is very likely that Trump will go to war with NK as it is a unique opportunity to divert the critics away from his WH problems?

Thanks.

Edited by Future Null Infinity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

So, reasonable odds that one of the older ex-Presidents passes away during Trump's tenure. Meaning he has to give a eulogy. Can you imagine it?

If...big if...he remembers to mention the deceased at all I'm giving vine even money he uses 'what'shisname'. 

He'll be sure to mention that he received more votes than the deceased and, oh yeah, he had way more people than at his inauguration than that dead loser did.   sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Hi my fellow americans, please I have a question :

Do you think that it is very likely that Trump will go to war with NK as it is a unique opportunity to divert the critics away from his WH problems?

Thanks.

Shit, I don't think it's likely, but it's not off the table. I think the man is clearly unstable, so there's really no way to be sure what he's going to do. I would have to imagine that when he does start a war (which I think is really likely) it will probably be with a non nuclear power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

55 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Hi my fellow americans, please I have a question :

Do you think that it is very likely that Trump will go to war with NK as it is a unique opportunity to divert the critics away from his WH problems?

Thanks.

Been pondering this and reached this verdict:

Trump hates being in a situation where his incompetence and lack of knowledge shows, whether it be to the masses or to his administration or 'his generals'. There would be no better example of such a situation than a war against a nation he knows next to nothing about and doesn't give a shit about on the other side of the globe. The moment a war erupts, 'his generals' are going to be running the show, and his job will be to nod sagely and look smart and follow their advice in every single meeting.

Right now he's doing what he does best, trying to bluff his way out of a war through bluster and threats. But he's basically just playing to the crowd. What he really wants is a quick fix and the praise that follows, so he can remind everyone what a great negotiator he is. He's only going to have to declare war if the situation reaches a point where not going to war threatens his tough-guy image too much. So basically if Kim keeps testing his ego.

Edited by denstorebog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Been pondering this and reached this verdict:

Trump hates being in a situation where his incompetence and lack of knowledge shows, whether it be to the masses or to his administration or 'his generals'. There would be no better example of such a situation than a war against a nation he knows next to nothing about and doesn't give a shit about on the other side of the globe. The moment a war erupts, 'his generals' are going to be running the show, and his job will be to nod sagely and look smart and follow their advice in every single meeting.

Right now he's doing what he does best, trying to bluff his way out of a war through bluster and threats. But he's basically just playing to the crowd. What he really wants is a quick fix and the praise that follows, so he can remind everyone what a great negotiator he is. He's only going to have to declare war if the situation reaches a point where not going to war threatens his tough-guy image. And that would require quite some balls from NK.

Caveat: tomorrow he reads the Rasmussen poll saying his AR has already risen 7 pts since he started rattling his sabre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Caveat: tomorrow he reads the Rasmussen poll saying his AR has already risen 7 pts since he started rattling his sabre.

Good lord.  That'll just encourage him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

You want the resistance to win out? Don't alienate the ones who are on your side. You want to bring up example after example of government not protecting at best and doing harm to people at worst. Please do! Get us riled, get us more on your side. I want to add my voice and support to those screaming over the injustice, but I don't accept anarchy as a solution.

Fighting violence with violence won't help you win, it will only serve to marginalize you more from society. Why do you have to play by the rules when the other side is doing so much harm and getting away with it? Because you're supposed to be the good guys. Sorry but equal treatment, respect, and the same rules for all is more important to me than revenge.

Yes, this. I was really disappointed to read through this thread and see so many people advocating against free speech and for abandoning the rule of law.

That being said, absolutely advocate against violence. What happened in VA today is abhorrent and should not be in any way tolerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Yes, this. I was really disappointed to read through this thread and see so many people advocating against free speech and for abandoning the rule of law.

That being said, absolutely advocate against violence. What happened in VA today is abhorrent and should not be in any way tolerated.

I would just like to add my voice in agreement with your positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Yes, this. I was really disappointed to read through this thread and see so many people advocating against free speech and for abandoning the rule of law.

That being said, absolutely advocate against violence. What happened in VA today is abhorrent and should not be in any way tolerated.

Playing by the rules is easy to say when you're not the one under threat of violence. 

The police didn't stop this. They responded to people threatening others with guns by letting these people go. They did not stop the car attack. They did not stop the beatings last night. I'm happy to advocate rule of law when it is demonstrated to be just and applied to both sides; when it is used as a force multiplier for one side there is little reason to advocate for it, and it is clearly to the benefit of the neonazis to advocate for a peaceful solution. 

If that alienates you so much that you are on the side of nazis so be it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's now 3 dead. 

And it's pathetic people still think nazism and it's ideological view points of suppression and genocide and preaching such thing are just free speech. Lets look at what nazis have done recently here in the US recently. Shot someone at a Milo klan even in Seattle months back, stabbed 2 people to death in Portland Oregon, last night used tiki torches as weapons to assault anti racist protesters, and today one used a car as a weapon and ran it into a crowd resulting in numerous injuries and 3 people being killed. 

And I am not even going into how they dox anti racists, dox women, dox people of the lgbt community and threaten them with rape, death and physical assault.

And piss on the rule of law. The rule of law a century and a half or so ago said it was perfectly fine to own people and use them as slaves, which gave people free reign to get away with raping those slaves, torturing them and murdering them. less than 100 years ago rule of law sad you do not have to serve people of color and it was legal to segregate people by skin color.

What good is the rule of law when the law allows oppressive fascists to potential rise into power and then kill a good portion of that lands population?

Amendments are made to be rewritten and changed. It's in the word. Not every single view deserves to be treated the same, not every view deserves to be given respect and allowed to be spewed. Nazism and white supremacy are views that should not be given platforms nor should be protected by free speech. 

You can not fight fair against people who don't play by the rules and have no issue rewriting the rules to gain power to get their neo nazi utopia going. They will strip people of rights and you are worried about their rights lol. 

They will kill anyone against them and you want to allow them to have a path to do so.

Edited by Sword of Doom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Deaths 2 and 3 were State Troopers in a helicopter crash - they had been monitoring the situation from overhead a during the day. ETA I've seen no mention of other deaths directly related to the protests. 

Edited by kairparavel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

They should bring terrorism charges against that driver and waive due process rights, put him in solitary at a military facility and let him rot...if not, just admit the terror laws are illegal, xenophobic bullshit.

Edited by Sword of Doom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Glad to see Spencer arrested 

 

I think removing the Lee statue is a call for that community.  I think that people who engage in violence should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  

I think that if we abandon rule of law and allow everyone to take violence into their own hands we will end up with the libertarian hell hole you've been warning against for years.

This line of thought is such bullshit and so fucking dangerous.  The rule of law is not everything, nor is it always just.  Think of laws we've had.  You're the type of person who would have been in a saloon telling your peers to calm down about slavery, not resort to violence, because we shouldn't abandon the rules of law even though that rule of law is inherently violent and makes humans property.  You are the person who would have been in a cafe during the Hitler years saying the rule of law shouldn't be abandoned and violence not enacted in favor of saving millions of lives. The tremendous privilege you have blinds you and makes life that much more dangerous and lonely for those of us who don't live with that privilege.  Do we want violence?  Fuck no.  But we'd also like to, you know, live, and if subverting the speech of fucking nazis ensures that this happens, you should be all for it.  We're talking about white supremacists, not abortion protestors.  

2 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

shut the fuck with that stupid shit, scot. you have been a confederate apologist for too long on this board and it is tired. 

you are a fucking lawyer and lack the ability to faithfully argue here. 

will you just go the fuck away? you have no friends here.

:wub::grouphug::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

They should bring terrorism charges against that driver and waive due process rights, put him in solitary at a military facility and let him rot...if not, just admit the terror laws are illegal, xenophobic bullshit.

I heard there were some spaces at gitmo.  Those fuckers wanted that place to remain open.  Now they can go rot there.  

Edited by Dr. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That can't have been Richard Spencer, by the way.

If it was, someone would have picked up the story by now. Could have been awesome though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I would just like to add my voice in agreement with your positions.

I'll third this.

One thing that i'd like to throw in here. There's a big difference between promoting the right to free speech of all individuals and allowing those individuals to commit acts of violence based on their speech. I think the narrow divide between the two has a tendency to get lost at times and that looks to be happening here. 

I'd also like to respond to @Sword of Doom's apparent belief that Rule of Law is arbitrary at times and does not mean shit. The answer to why the Rule of Law is important lies in your very criticism of it. We should continually be ensuring our legal system reflects that of a free and equal liberal democracy. We should be incredibly proud at the leaps and bounds we have made since this nation's creation, but to throw away the Rule of Law is to slip towards transgressions such as slavery and Jim Crow. The system is not perfect, but to pretend we can inoculate ourselves from all threats to our security is to abandon the very liberties we supposedly hold dear.

Edited by Ghjhero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I heard there were some spaces at gitmo.  Those fuckers wanted that place to remain open.  Now they can go rot there.  

It would be poetic justice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ghjhero said:

I'll third this.

One thing that i'd like to throw in here. There's a big difference between promoting the right to free speech of all individuals and allowing those individuals to commit acts of violence based on their speech. I think the narrow divide between the two has a tendency to get lost at times and that looks to be happening here. 

I'd also like to respond to @Sword of Doom's apparent belief that Rule of Law is arbitrary at times and does not mean shit. The answer to why the Rule of Law is important lies in your very criticism of it. We should continually be ensuring our legal system reflects that of a free and equal liberal democracy. We should be incredibly proud at the leaps and bounds we have made since this nation's creation, but to do otherwise is to slip towards transgressions such as slavery and Jim Crow. The system is not perfect, but to pretend we can inoculate ourselves from all threats to our security is to abandon the very liberties we supposedly hold dear.

Tell me how we rewrite the system when the people that empower neo nazis are in the white house, the DOJ, senate seats and congress and are actively working to suppress even more votes than they currently do to ensure they stay in power and have the ability to plant who they want in supreme court justice positions? 

What leaps and bounds lol? Unarmed black people can get killed while being unarmed on video and white society still sides with the fucking cops. Civil rights are being attacked right now by Sessoins and he is trying to roll quite a bit back. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.