Horse of Kent

Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

447 posts in this topic

Looks like West Brom have got Krychowiak. More than a couple of top-6 sides who could have done with him. They are another unfashionable side to have had a pretty good window all told. Burke should be better suited to the Premier League than the Bundesliga, Hegazy has been very strong other than that ricket against Stoke and Rodriguez has already made an impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad that we did our business early but it's kinda boring that United aren't even getting linked to anyone on the eve of deadline day. Still think we are short in the fullback positions. The only FB's who offer anything going forward is an aging Valencia whose delivery is mostly poor and an injury prone, inconsistent Shaw. We should be looking to hijack the Aurier deal. That or we should not have let TFM go on loan in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me Stoke have had a very good window as well. Zouma is an upgrade, and Jese looked very hungry against Arsenal. Choupo-Moting also gives them something, and Fletcher on a free is nothing to sneer at. Not sure they're gonna miss shit-for-brains Arnautovic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Looks like West Brom have got Krychowiak. More than a couple of top-6 sides who could have done with him. They are another unfashionable side to have had a pretty good window all told. Burke should be better suited to the Premier League than the Bundesliga, Hegazy has been very strong other than that ricket against Stoke and Rodriguez has already made an impact.

He was very highly rated during his time at Sevilla. France has clearly been difficult for him, but to go from PSG to West Brom is a big surprise. As you say, teams like Chelsea and Arsenal could have done with a spare centre midfielder. Perhaps after a year on the fringes, he wanted regular football, especially in a World Cup year.

No offense to WBA, but I would really like to know how Pulis sold the club to him for this loan deal. 'Hi. We are a club from the Midlands that likes to play a bank of 4 and 5 to frustrate the life out of our opposition while playing the percentage game and scoring from Chris Brunt corners turned in by one of our back 4, that is usually made up of 4 centre backs. Welcome to mid table mediocrity!'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pray Chamberlain is gone and if he's not, he plays with the reserves the rest of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Liverpool aren't going to get anywhere near matching Chelsea's offer. £35 million for a squad player with 12 months left on his contract is nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why big clubs would be bidding for him anyway. He's not been able to convince at Arsenal beyond an occasional snippet. He'd have no chance to get in United's squad.

Otherwise, it seems like it's a quiet end to the transfer market, nothing of interest happening.

Coutinho's not going to be moved after all. Surprised Barca have not moved on to target Juve's Dybala, also a pretty sensational player they could use. But they may have thought chances of signing him would be even slimmer than Liverpool giving up their prized Brazilian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

No offense to WBA, but I would really like to know how Pulis sold the club to him for this loan deal. 'Hi. We are a club from the Midlands that likes to play a bank of 4 and 5 to frustrate the life out of our opposition while playing the percentage game and scoring from Chris Brunt corners turned in by one of our back 4, that is usually made up of 4 centre backs. Welcome to mid table mediocrity!'

I've slagged Pulis off for this myself, but I think he's beginning to amend his ways a little. I mean, I'm 100% certain that he'll revert to type if there is even a sniff of relegation, but for now he seems willing to play the occasional forward pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I find it interesting that there has been zero rumors about Ozil. No one wants him. I understand.

Also, latest rumors coming out of connected Arsenal people is that there is an issue with "available" funds which means we shouldn't expect anyone incoming. That is amazing. This is the worst run organization out there.

Edited by Mexal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mormont said:

I've slagged Pulis off for this myself, but I think he's beginning to amend his ways a little. I mean, I'm 100% certain that he'll revert to type if there is even a sniff of relegation, but for now he seems willing to play the occasional forward pass.

The type of players he has been signing this window does suggest that he is trying to move away from that style.

To be fair to WBA, they are quite good at what they do. I just wouldn't expect a player like Krychowiak to fancy moving from PSG to the PL to play in a team like a Pulis' WBA side. Good signing for them, though.

 

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I find it interesting that there has been zero rumors about Ozil. No one wants him. I understand.

Also, latest rumors coming out of connected Arsenal people is that there is an issue with "available" funds which means we shouldn't expect anyone incoming. That is amazing. This is the worst run organization out there.

Arsenal are meant to be one of the richest clubs in world football. That there are rumours they are having issues with available funds is an absolute disgrace and an insult to the fans that pay for the most expensive season tickets in European football to go and see them play, especially when they are trekking up and down the country to see abject performances like the one at Anfield on Sunday.

There is zero sporting ambition at that club anymore. Stan Kroenke is running it to fill his own pockets. I'd say that is the reason the funds aren't available; Stan is keeping the money for himself, happy enough to watch it coming in without ever spending it on the improving the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I'm not sure why big clubs would be bidding for him anyway. He's not been able to convince at Arsenal beyond an occasional snippet. He'd have no chance to get in United's squad.

I can see why both Chelsea and Liverpool would be interested in him.

He's a versatile player who can cover a number of positions to a reasonable, if not exceptional, standard and he's got a decent amount of Premier League experience now. Both Chelsea and Liverpool are going into this season with concerns about squad depth and with additional Champions League commitments, he certainly offers something of value to them. I just don't see it being worth £35 million.

On top of his versatility he does have the potential to develop into being better than just a squad player and I'd imagine both Conte and Klopp are looking at him and thinking they can do a better job at developing his potential than Wenger. It's just at his age there's a very good chance it's not going to happen so I wouldn't put too much value on that.

ETA: I will say American owners have a reputation for being a bit rubbish, Hicks and Gillette being the classic example but Kroenke, the Glazers and Lerner have also been underwhelming to say the least but I'm reasonably pleased with how FSG have done. I don't really get the criticism they sometimes get.

They got rid of Hicks and Gillette, they've got the Anfield redevelopment done and they've been reasonably proactive in improving Liverpool's managers. Clearly they've had some ideas which haven't worked out but they do seem to be genuinely trying to improve the club. It also seems like they've put up a transfer kitty of something like £150 million this summer and it not getting spent seems to be more down to Klopp than them.

Edited by ljkeane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: WBA, they have actually signed a fullback this window as well. Shocking. 

There are rumours swirling about Everton signing Stefano Okaka, to have a forward. Honestly, I'd rather go without a recognized striker than signing Okaka, but as it happens, some people know more about football than me. It may be a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile Höwedes is on his way to Juve (as mentioned in the last thread). Loan fee of 4-5 mil, € with the transfer clause for up to another 15m.

I guess that's it for the Mustafi to Juve rumour for the moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

I'm not sure why big clubs would be bidding for him anyway. He's not been able to convince at Arsenal beyond an occasional snippet. He'd have no chance to get in United's squad.

Klopp knows what he's doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably rotation/cover option for Liverpool's Mane and Salah. At least that's what I think Klopp sees in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swansea's talks with Renato Sanches reported to be going well and a loan deal looks likely. Also reported that they are looking to bring Bony back to the club which would then pave the way for Llorente to Chelsea. Also, Wolfsburg are interested in taking Origi on loan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an aside, the fact that Wenger started Ox against Liverpool when he clearly wanted to go to Liverpool is horrendous management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.