US Politics: flaking out and coming uncorked

DanteGabriel

17 hours ago, Altherion said:

Come now, this is practically comical. Bannon provides a valuable service by pointing out problems which are ignored by mainstream media and politicians, but he has no plausible solutions and the things you list are just silly.

They are the things that you've supported as a Sanders and then Trump supporter. 

17 hours ago, Altherion said:

The elites are a very small group (roughly 4 orders of magnitude smaller than people who don't share my worldview), Bannon is an economic nationalist and there can be no peaceful ethnic cleansing in a country with the Second Amendment.

I love that your objection to peaceful ethnic cleansing is that it's not pragmatic enough, not that it's wrong. Otherwise I think you doth protest too much. Come on - you didn't use words like this?

“I don’t need to be lectured–by a bunch of– by a bunch of limousine liberals, okay, from the Upper East Side of New York and from the Hamptons, okay, about any of this. My lived experience is that.”

or

“The elites in this country have got us in a situation, we’re at not economic war with China, China is at economic war with us.”

or

I'm a Leninist. Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that's my goal, too. I want to bring everything crashing down and destroy all of today's establishment.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Senate Kills Rule That Makes It Easier To Sue Banks

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/24/politics/senate-cfpb-arbitration-repeal/index.html

/Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Er, umm, This will trickle down to the consumer, yeah, that's the ticket, every thing will trickle down.

We all trickle down here.

42 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Senate Kills Rule That Made It Easier To Sue Banks

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/24/politics/senate-cfpb-arbitration-repeal/index.html

/Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

And McCain and Flake voted with their party, in case people were starting to feel warm and fuzzy about a pair of shitheels who decided to do the bare minimum human thing, at long last, and notice what a fucking monster they supported for President.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

And McCain and Flake voted with their party, in case people were starting to feel warm and fuzzy about a pair of shitheels who decided to do the bare minimum human thing, at long last, and notice what a fucking monster they supported for President.

Yep.

A Republican strategist on NPR said something fairly clear to me, which is that Republicans and Trump largely agree on ideology, but have very different viewpoints on their morality (especially their personal morals). There are some differences - things like free trade and making deals with other countries - but largely they are in lockstep, and largely they are united in those goals. 

The bad part isn't that Trump is in office; it's that he's in office with this congress. And while Flake and Corker might be saying how bad Trump is, all that's going to do is make the Republican party lean more towards Trump as they leave, but it doesn't really make things better one way or another. Replacing Flake with another Republican means that instead of getting someone who votes 91% of the time with Trump, you'll get 95%. Whoop the fuck doo.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

But the messaging is incredibly important. I’m not saying don’t call the Nazis out, and I’m OK with lumping white nationalists and white supremacists in with them. My point is that you shouldn’t be including people who don’t fall into those groups with Nazis.

Let's be clear. Nobody who self-identifies as 'alt-right' is being 'lumped in with Nazis'. They are Nazis.

We're not talking here about Trump supporters. We're not talking about Republicans. We're talking about people who take for themselves the label that was specifically invented as a fig leaf for 'Nazi'. The Nazis absolutely already use the 'alt-right =/= Nazis' shit as propaganda to discredit the media. Acceding to it is not going to help. By the time the Breitbart-curious are labeling themselves as 'alt-right' it's too late to hope that soft words will win them back. This is not about attacking them. It's about telling the truth. 

The groups you listed? All, as noted, could be found in the actual, historical Nazi party, except perhaps the 'trolls', and my belief that this group actually exists as a separate phenomenon and not just as plausible deniability is not strong. People like that were, historically, Nazis. They have always been part of any Nazi movement. They are now, whatever name they choose for themselves, Nazis. At best, at best, they are so close to being Nazis that the distinction is almost petty.

Agreeing to the false idea that there is a distinction in the hope that this somehow might enable us to rescue or salvage them is wishful thinking at best and dangerous at worst. It's also leaving the victims of this movement feeling that they're being chucked under the bus: their safety a lower priority than catering to the delicate egos of racist white people who mustn't be upset, at any cost.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep.

A Republican strategist on NPR said something fairly clear to me, which is that Republicans and Trump largely agree on ideology, but have very different viewpoints on their morality (especially their personal morals). There are some differences - things like free trade and making deals with other countries - but largely they are in lockstep, and largely they are united in those goals. 

The bad part isn't that Trump is in office; it's that he's in office with this congress. And while Flake and Corker might be saying how bad Trump is, all that's going to do is make the Republican party lean more towards Trump as they leave, but it doesn't really make things better one way or another. Replacing Flake with another Republican means that instead of getting someone who votes 91% of the time with Trump, you'll get 95%. Whoop the fuck doo.

Yup. If you (collective) expected Republicans to not be Republicans because they dislike Trump, you were dreaming big. Corker, Flake and McCain might rail against Trump's conduct but if there is a bill in front of them that cuts regulations, you better believe they're voting for it with a smile.

Just a random thought that popped in the head with the Uranium One brouhaha Republicans are doing. Why doesn't Trump just cancelled the real? He could not wait to pull out of the Paris Deal and doing what he can to do the same with Iran. So why does he just not cancel it if it is so damaging?

I know it is mostly rhetorical but seems like a very fair question to ask.

The Republican proposal to cap tax-deferred 401k contributions at $2,400 dollars, opposed to the current tax-deferred cap of $18,000 ($24,000 if you're over age 50) in order to help pay for tax cuts to the wealthy is back on the table.

Brady declined to define what "middle class" means at his Wednesday event, saying it varies based on cost of living. He also would not guarantee that the GOP bill would lower taxes for everyone, instead suggesting all Americans would at least be indirectly "better off" thanks to the economic growth that he predicted tax cuts would help encourage.

"Let them eat cake" says the Republican shitheel as 90%+ of the economic growth he's touting lines the pockets of the top 1%.

6 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Just a random thought that popped in the head with the Uranium One brouhaha Republicans are doing. Why doesn't Trump just cancelled the real? He could not wait to pull out of the Paris Deal and doing what he can to do the same with Iran. So why does he just not cancel it if it is so damaging?

I know it is mostly rhetorical but seems like a very fair question to ask.

Can he? Didn't the sale happen 7 years ago?

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Can he? Didn't the sale happen 7 years ago?

What does that matter? He decided to just end things before. 

Will like some expert on the agreement to be interview for I think there still be some "National Security" clause in the agreement though multiple agencies needed to sign off. I know the speculation on my part of this. However will think something this important will have some back out clause.

CNN seems fairly obsessed with the Trump Dossier origins (almost as much as with the dead dudes in Niger), why? 

Who gives a shit, the HRC campaign helped pay for it. The right will wail and scream, the left will shrug. Can we get news that's... new? 

I have no idea what's happening in Greece. Because the place I go to get the goddamn news is obsessing over the orange shithead in the whitehouse as if their reporting actually matters. 

Jesus, they don't even pay attention to the important shit, like the lawsuit legislation that just went through the senate. 

Although I will give them credit that I know Nikki Haley is in the Sudan. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also I have to disagree. The former preys on people's anger and fear while the latter preys on people's aspirations. More or less.

Well, I'd say attacking entitlements plays on racial resentment as well - and actually was one of the original ways the GOP employed this tack - but point taken.  I was referring to the policy outcomes, or intended outcomes, of the establishment GOP's preferences on such being just as repulsive.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The Republican proposal to cap tax-deferred 401k contributions at $2,400 dollars, opposed to the current tax-deferred cap of $18,000 ($24,000 if you're over age 50) in order to help pay for tax cuts to the wealthy is back on the table.

How could this be construed as anything but a slap in the face aimed directly at the middle class?  Pretty much nobody gets a pension anymore and people rely on their 401k to set themselves up for retirement.  In the meantime conservatives will work toward slashing public benefits for the elderly and anyone without a personal fortune will be screwed in old age, or work til they drop dead.  Maybe that's what they want.  

Archived