Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UFT

Who do you like more? Aegon I or Robert Baratheon?

50 posts in this topic

both are mythical conquerors and certified badasses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say Robert due to him not be the instigator of the conflict that put him on the throne. But I like Aegon the Dragon as well. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aegon is an alien weirdo. Who can really relate to him?

Robert is a life-loving, adrenaline craving party animal who wears his heart on his sleeve. Of course he is more likeable than the platinum haired, purple eyed, brooding "elf".

 

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably get along better with someone like Robert tbh. But that being said: dragons. No, Aegon's just more interesting and IMO more of a badass. Robert's cool (ish) but Aegon would just be more interesting to read about because there's so little we know about him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's no Aegon, there's no Dynasty for Robert to conquer and become King...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aegon I, no contest. Aegon unified 6 of the 7 kingdoms into a single government and stopped the incessant warfare between them, a kind of "Pax dracaerys". He founded the big city of King's Landing. His dynasty reigned nearly 300 years. There were no further successful foreign invasions and colonizations of Westeros while the Targaryens ruled.

Big Bobbie Baratheon sat on Aegon's Iron Throne every now and then, when he wasn't eating and drinking himself into an early grave and impregnating all the young women he could get his hands on. Besides that, all he really enjoyed was killing. He bankrupted the (now 7) Kingdoms with his careless lack of stewardship, and was basically assassinated by his wife's family, never having a clue that he was in danger.

And let's not get into the domino effects after Robert's demise... (you can read all about it in "A Song of Ice & Fire" ...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why people keep calling Bob a more relatable character. He was a detached, negligent, alcoholic, cucked man who was terrible at managing a Kingdom. I'd take weird alien Aegon everyday over Bob. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Says a lot about the demographic of these boards that an over-age frat boy living and reliving his glory days as BMOC is getting more love than an unbelievable statesman, general, and administrator.  Even in his personal life, Aegon was a model; loved his wife (I guess he had two, but still), treated his enemies with true justice and mercy, was capable of adult relationships....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

Says a lot about the demographic of these boards that an over-age frat boy living and reliving his glory days as BMOC is getting more love than an unbelievable statesman, general, and administrator.  Even in his personal life, Aegon was a model; loved his wife (I guess he had two, but still), treated his enemies with true justice and mercy, was capable of adult relationships....

Not really. It says that many get a better impression from a character that's active in the series which thus gets more characterization rather than one only active in the backstory who thus gets less characterization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 2:21 PM, zandru said:

Aegon I, no contest. Aegon unified 6 of the 7 kingdoms into a single government and stopped the incessant warfare between them, a kind of "Pax dracaerys". He founded the big city of King's Landing. His dynasty reigned nearly 300 years. There were no further successful foreign invasions and colonizations of Westeros while the Targaryens ruled.

Big Bobbie Baratheon sat on Aegon's Iron Throne every now and then, when he wasn't eating and drinking himself into an early grave and impregnating all the young women he could get his hands on. Besides that, all he really enjoyed was killing. He bankrupted the (now 7) Kingdoms with his careless lack of stewardship, and was basically assassinated by his wife's family, never having a clue that he was in danger.

And let's not get into the domino effects after Robert's demise... (you can read all about it in "A Song of Ice & Fire" ...)

"Pax dracaerys" lol what a meme. There was just as much war as before the Targs. He didn't achieve anything special considering he was 0v3 in terms of dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby B had the most gorgeous woman in all Westeros at the time Cersie Lannister and still got drunk and called her Lyanna if thats not greatness I dont kno what is.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:32 AM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

War hammer, wine and wenches> Dragons and sister-wives. 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Aegon is an alien weirdo. Who can really relate to him?

Robert is a life-loving, adrenaline craving party animal who wears his heart on his sleeve. Of course he is more likeable than the platinum haired, purple eyed, brooding "elf".

 

I absolutely hate the dragons and that part of the story... honestly I think the Wot5K is far more interesting than anything Targaryen related, except for possibly the Dance of Dragons because at least there was dragons on both sides.  So of course I am for the much more human seeming Bobby B.

Aegon taking Westeros because he had the Dragons is like if Harry Truman took over the world because we had the nukes and they didn't.  Aegon is a total power hungry dick, and intentionally incestuous and polyamorous.  Robert, who did a lot more fornicating I reckon than Aegon did, is a sinful man with little self control and discipline, but he seems like someone who at least be more likely to agree with me personally on what is "wrong" and "right" even if he couldn't practice his beliefs.  Plus, he was funny and had a certain level of charm about him.  Robert probably is a much larger hypocrite, no denying that, but since I don't believe in moral relativism in any sort of universe (real or fantasy) I much prefer a hypocrite who would share my beliefs than someone who believes in a completely different set of morals (even if they are able to keep their morals).

It's all a matter of personal preference though.  No reason to be frustrated by anyone's responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I absolutely hate the dragons and that part of the story... honestly I think the Wot5K is far more interesting than anything Targaryen related, except for possibly the Dance of Dragons because at least there was dragons on both sides.  So of course I am for the much more human seeming Bobby B.

Aegon taking Westeros because he had the Dragons is like if Harry Truman took over the world because we had the nukes and they didn't.  Aegon is a total power hungry dick, and intentionally incestuous and polyamorous.  Robert, who did a lot more fornicating I reckon than Aegon did, is a sinful man with little self control and discipline, but he seems like someone who at least be more likely to agree with me personally on what is "wrong" and "right" even if he couldn't practice his beliefs.  Plus, he was funny and had a certain level of charm about him.  Robert probably is a much larger hypocrite, no denying that, but since I don't believe in moral relativism in any sort of universe (real or fantasy) I much prefer a hypocrite who would share my beliefs than someone who believes in a completely different set of morals (even if they are able to keep their morals).

It's all a matter of personal preference though.  No reason to be frustrated by anyone's responses.

This is true fam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert is portrayed in the series as a person with actual human virtues and vices, someone that we can really like or dislike according to how his personality resonates (subjectively) with each reader. Personally I don't like him, but I have some sympathy for him and I appreciate the few positive aspects of his character.

Aegon, on the other hand, is just an historical figure, glorified for accomplishments that are very much appreciated by the 'white male' prevalent ideas of both 'his' and 'our' worlds. I have nothing for him to make me like or dislike him for the person that he was, except for my generic dislike for conquerors. So it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 1:21 AM, LionoftheWest said:

Not really. It says that many get a better impression from a character that's active in the series which thus gets more characterization rather than one only active in the backstory who thus gets less characterization.

Yeah... I don't think you're reading the actual comments, which focus heavily on his partying lifestyle, not on his greater characterization.

Plus, we have a fair bit of characterization for Aegon; a man who loves a wife (Rhaenys), who has an overarching vision for Westeros.  A man of arrogance, and one who understands mercy.  Who understands when to fight and when to compromise.  Who understands the mechanics of royal governance, who not only demands fealty from his new subjects, but assimilates to their culture as well.

How much more do we know about Robert, really?  He has no character growth, either; from the moment Lyanna is kidnapped to the moment he dies, the only things we know about Robert are his love of battle, love of wine, dislike of responsibility, and his excusal of all that by putting Lyanna on a pedestal and claiming that everything that happens once she was "taken" from him is not his fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2017 at 5:51 AM, LionoftheWest said:

I'd say Robert due to him not be the instigator of the conflict that put him on the throne. But I like Aegon the Dragon as well. :)

Robert was the instigator depending on whom you tend to believe. 

I prefer Aegon, not a big fan of Robert Baratheon, I just see him as a brute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2017 at 6:26 AM, ShadowCat Rivers said:

Robert is portrayed in the series as a person with actual human virtues and vices, someone that we can really like or dislike according to how his personality resonates (subjectively) with each reader. Personally I don't like him, but I have some sympathy for him and I appreciate the few positive aspects of his character.

Aegon, on the other hand, is just an historical figure, glorified for accomplishments that are very much appreciated by the 'white male' prevalent ideas of both 'his' and 'our' worlds. I have nothing for him to make me like or dislike him for the person that he was, except for my generic dislike for conquerors. So it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

I'm not a white male if that accounts for anything. I also don't see any 'white male prevalent ideas" in Georges writing either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0