US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

Completely separately, but please pay attention:

Dana Trier, who was a partner for decades at Davis Polk & Wardwell, and who came out of retirement to take the thankless job of Deputy Assistant Secretary (Tax Policy) at Treasury (meaning he was in charge of new regulations to implement the new law), has been forced to resign.  It appears that his mistake was to more or less tell the truth about the flaws in the new tax law (I mean, he was funny about it, which has to be extra bad).  Truth to power from within not tolerated.

6 hours ago, Shryke said:

You don't have to prove it. As usual, they just admit it. Trump Jr like a decade ago was talking about how much of their money was coming from Russia. The Trumps are balls deep in Russian money, which means oligarch money.

Mueller hasn't leaked anything about that specifically because he knows how to fucking run an operation. But if you've paid any attention for the past like 2 years as reporters have been digging in to Trump and his associates, it's stupidly obvious that there's financial connections between Trump and Russians and that they wield influence over his policy decisions and statements wrt Russia. 

Without adequate proof of actual wrongdoing, all of your allegations are just noise.  Just having financial connections to Russia isn't evidence of wrongdoing.  Trump Jr. could have been referring to the real estate they sold to Russian buyers at the time, which by itself isn't evidence of any wrongdoing. 

Maybe Mueller can prove that the real estate transactions were just a money laundering scheme and that Trump knew and actively participated in the scheme, but that's just speculation right now.  

Or maybe Mueller can prove that Trump received help from Russia in exchange for a promise of better treatment when he took power, but that also is just speculation right now.

Without adequate proof, Trump will get at least 4 years as President. 

4 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Without adequate proof of actual wrongdoing, all of your allegations are just noise.  Just having financial connections to Russia isn't evidence of wrongdoing.  Trump Jr. could have been referring to the real estate they sold to Russian buyers at the time, which by itself isn't evidence of any wrongdoing. 

Maybe Mueller can prove that the real estate transactions were just a money laundering scheme and that Trump knew and actively participated in the scheme, but that's just speculation right now.  

Or maybe Mueller can prove that Trump received help from Russia in exchange for a promise of better treatment when he took power, but that also is just speculation right now.

Real estate and money laundering usually go hand in hand. Just saying. 

Georgia Lt. Governor Casey Cagle has announced he will kill any legislation that benefits Delta Airlines unless and until Delta restores all discounts it previously gave to NRA members. Delta was supposed to have received a big break on fuel taxes. Cagle is running for governor. Delta is one of Georgia's biggest employers.

Republicans and free enterprise! Capitalism works! Unless you go against the NRA.

Georgia Lt Gov. Casey Cagle, who is running for governor as a Republican this year, pushed back against Delta’s decision on Monday, saying in a tweet: “I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporation cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back.”

“Like all Americans, I’m horrified by the mass shootings we’ve witnessed,” he said. “If corporate America wants to make a positive difference on gun violence, it should donate a portion of its profits to mental health treatments and school safety initiatives. They should put their money where their mouth is instead of engine in viewpoint discrimination against conservatives and law-abiding gun owners.”

http://fortune.com/2018/02/26/delta-nra-tax-break-georgia/

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Georgia Lt. Governor Casey Cagle has announced he will kill any legislation that benefits Delta Airlines unless and until Delta restores all discounts it previously gave to NRA members. Delta was supposed to have received a big break on fuel taxes. Cagle is running for governor. Delta is one of Georgia's biggest employers.

Republicans and free enterprise! Capitalism works! Unless you go against the NRA.

Isn't that kind of pay to play stuff illegal?

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Mueller has filed to drop charges against Gates.

This means Gates must have given up the goods right?

Yeah probably, but really we already knew this when he plead guilty.  Pleading guilty and then not cooperating would be kind of the worst of both worlds for Gates. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just basically posted this in the gun control thread as well.  I'd like to say the hypocrisy is mind-boggling...but it's not.  I hope Delta goes after him with a vengence.  Citizens United, ftw!  

3 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I just basically posted this in the gun control thread as well.  I'd like to say the hypocrisy is mind-boggling...but it's not.  I hope Delta goes after him with a vengence.  Citizens United, ftw!  

Delta could just announce that if Georgia cannot be trusted to follow through on their agreements, they are willing to explore moving to Nashville or Charlotte or really anywhere.  They'll find plenty of airports and states ready to play ball.  And just FYI, Delta is the #1 employer in Georgia, with 33,000 employees.  Delta moving even a quarter of those jobs elsewhere would be a huge problem for the state. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s important to keep in mind that unlike Manafort, Gates remained on the campaign and through the transition. I suspect he’s got a lot of dirt on several key actors.

Also, Gates and Manafort have had a relationship for years. Manafort is the only member of the Trump campaign that's been charged in the probe who was also present at the June 9, 2016, Trump Tower meeting with the Russians. Very unlikely that Manafort wouldn't have mentioned that to Gates.

5 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Also, Gates and Manafort have had a relationship for years. Manafort is the only member of the Trump campaign that's been charged in the probe who was also present at the June 9, 2016, Trump Tower meeting with the Russians. Very unlikely that Manafort wouldn't have mentioned that to Gates.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s important to keep in mind that unlike Manafort, Gates remained on the campaign and through the transition. I suspect he’s got a lot of dirt on several key actors.

Gates cooperating with Mueller is important for two reasons:

1.  Gates undoubtedly has the goods on Manafort.  Whatever hopes Manafort may have had of avoiding a long prison term (pardons notwithstanding) are gone.  Manafort is an incredibly important person in Trump's campaign, and almost assuredly knows most of the Trump campaign's dealings with Russia. 

2.  Whatever information Gates can provide about Campaign/Russia links.  Gates was definitely present at some important meetings and had a larger/more important role than say Papadopolous.  It remains to be seen how much useful information he has, or if he mostly is just providing Mueller with information he already got from Papadopolous/Flynn. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think your reading of the situation is correct, but I suspect there is so much stuff they can hit him with in state court that makes a presidential pardon meaningless. He’s either going to roll or spend the rest of his life in jail.

Here's the thing though: rolling means crossing Putin and the Russians. That is not generally considered a health way to try and live a long life.

Also, Manafort is a moron.

Also, IIRC, Bannon called Trump’s firing of Comey one of the dumbest decisions in political history. In hindsight, Manafort agreeing to work for Trump for free has to surpass that.

It doesn't appear he had much of a choice. The picture that seems to be emerging is that he was scalp deep in debt and then it was basically suggested that he go work for Trump and not for money.

41 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Delta could just announce that if Georgia cannot be trusted to follow through on their agreements, they are willing to explore moving to Nashville or Charlotte or really anywhere.  They'll find plenty of airports and states ready to play ball.  And just FYI, Delta is the #1 employer in Georgia, with 33,000 employees.  Delta moving even a quarter of those jobs elsewhere would be a huge problem for the state. 

All they need to do is move their offices to South Carolina. They can keep the hub in Atlamta...for now. Splitting the hub would make some airport very happy.

2 hours ago, Mudguard said:

This isn't a court of law silly. We can know things are true without Mueller having an air tight case that will result in a conviction on the issue. This isn't just noise and I have no idea why you've decided to defend Trump here.

What we know to be true is that Trump and his org is pumped full of Russian money. Because he can't get funding basically anywhere else.

54 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

He’s the only one that’s been charged….so far. I still fully expect the Kush to get indicted. And speaking of Kush and DJTJ, while I agree that Manafort probably communicated something about the meeting to Gates, I find it highly implausible that they did not tell their father about what went down. Trump isn’t a details person, but he is reported to be a micro manager, and I’m sure he would have known what was going down and the results of the meeting.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump isn’t a details person, but he is reported to be a micro manager, and I’m sure he would have known what was going down and the results of the meeting.

He believes that his opinion and voice is the only one that matters -- that egocentrism is embodied by his twitter use and refusal to staff the State Department. 

19 minutes ago, Shryke said:

This isn't a court of law silly. We can know things are true without Mueller having an air tight case that will result in a conviction on the issue. This isn't just noise and I have no idea why you've decided to defend Trump here.

What we know to be true is history that Trump and his org is pumped full of Russian money. Because he can't get funding basically anywhere else.

Trump also has a history of money laundering. Do the math. 1 plus 1 equals 2

57 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Gates cooperating with Mueller is important for two reasons:

1.  Gates undoubtedly has the goods on Manafort.  Whatever hopes Manafort may have had of avoiding a long prison term (pardons notwithstanding) are gone.  Manafort is an incredibly important person in Trump's campaign, and almost assuredly knows most of the Trump campaign's dealings with Russia. 

2.  Whatever information Gates can provide about Campaign/Russia links.  Gates was definitely present at some important meetings and had a larger/more important role than say Papadopolous.  It remains to be seen how much useful information he has, or if he mostly is just providing Mueller with information he already got from Papadopolous/Flynn. 

I agree, and I think Gates gives Mueller another squeeze point by spilling the beans about Manafort’s shady business dealings. If so, that makes it even easier to make Manafort rat on Trump, and not just about the possibility of colluding with Russia. It’s been my opinion from the beginning that Trump will go down for things he did prior to winning the election. His entire company reeks of shady business dealings.

I guess Trump should have attended his ethics courses at Wharton…..

Archived