Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

AndrewBaelish

• 1 month later...

He's got a good voice, should work. I was hoping the rumors I'd been reading that Paul Bettany's Jarvis operating system would somehow end up Ultron but guess not.

It could still involve the Jarvis AI, maybe as some warped offspring?

I just don't see how they can do Ultron without Hank Pym... re-inventing his origins and having Tony Stark create him --IMO-- will be a mistake.

I think for the movies it is far more organic and sensible to have Ultron be some kind of AI armour gone wrong. Tony Stark is hte heart of the marel movieverse so make the most of him while RDJR plays him. If Ant Man had been out a year ago they could have tried the Hank Pym route but I'm hoping Pym isn't too much of a polymath in the films being a physicist, AI expert and biologist.

solid casting as well. I wonder if movie Ultron will be humanoid and only robotic for the obligatory SFX extravaganza at the end? A bit like a Terminator? Otherwise Spader will just be doing a voice over. I'd have liked to have seen a character killed and they try and digitise him before being Ultron but not usre how that'd fit without introducing Spader as a human first.

While I'm fully on Board with Spader getting cast, I still don't see how they can work Ultron into the Avengers without Hank Pym.

Yes, I know the most likely scenario is that Ultron will end up being a Stark AI gone wrong, but that's a major departure from the comics and will piss a lot of fans off. I have faith in Joss Whedon, but I have a feeling this one will take a lot of faith.

Well, Iron Man 3 actually did setup not only autonomous Iron Man armors, but there was also that weird scene where Pepper wakes up to one of the Iron Man suits staring her down in her bed. Who knows, could be a foreshadowing of a rogue armor down the line.

Still, sounds like a pretty weak villain. Loki's passion and overconfidence were what made him a great villain. This sounds like the opposite.

Also, who's willing to bet that "AGE of Ultron" is going to seem like a weird title afterwards? These movies usually deal with a span of days.

While I'm fully on Board with Spader getting cast, I still don't see how they can work Ultron into the Avengers without Hank Pym.

Yes, I know the most likely scenario is that Ultron will end up being a Stark AI gone wrong, but that's a major departure from the comics and will piss a lot of fans off. I have faith in Joss Whedon, but I have a feeling this one will take a lot of faith.

I honestly couldn't care less as long as Ultron is actually menacing and faithful in terms of character. I'm not even super fussed about how the character is handled as long as it is handled well. I'm sure Whedon can put a fun spin on him.

Then again I liked the Mandarin in IM3 and i know that upset a lot of comic fans. Thing is, the film was still incredibly successful because most film goers aren't comic fans.

Well, Iron Man 3 actually did setup not only autonomous Iron Man armors, but there was also that weird scene where Pepper wakes up to one of the Iron Man suits staring her down in her bed. Who knows, could be a foreshadowing of a rogue armor down the line.

Still, sounds like a pretty weak villain. Loki's passion and overconfidence were what made him a great villain. This sounds like the opposite.

Also, who's willing to bet that "AGE of Ultron" is going to seem like a weird title afterwards? These movies usually deal with a span of days.

Whedon recently said in an interview that he doesn't want the Avengers to become the Loki show. He pointed out that having a sole villain means they get more screentime than individual avengers. It could be the same with Ultron but at least it's someone else.

"age" does seem a stretch unless they are going to do some time-travel thing where we see an age of ultron only for it to be reset (like in the comics)

Thing is, the film was still incredibly successful because most film goers aren't comic fans.

Yep. I don't know how accurate this site is but it says the top 300 comics in the world sold 80.5 million units last year. That's about 268,000 per unit for $285,000,000 in sales. Iron Man 3 made more than $400,000,000 in the US alone (about $1.2 billion total worldwide). One movie over the course of several months made more than the top 300 comics over the course of the entire year.

That roughly translates to Marvel studios not giving a shit what comic fans think because they know they will still line up to buy tickets. In fact I'd place good money on Marvel enjoying the fan-rage because it means people are talking. If a comic fan rages to his non-comic reader friends about all the changes and how its ruined, its more likely to make people intrigued and want to see these changes for themselves.

Yep. I don't know how accurate this site is but it says the top 300 comics in the world sold 80.5 million units last year. That's about 268,000 per unit for $285,000,000 in sales. Iron Man 3 made more than $400,000,000 in the US alone (about $1.2 billion total worldwide). One movie over the course of several months made more than the top 300 comics over the course of the entire year.

That roughly translates to Marvel studios not giving a shit what comic fans think because they know they will still line up to buy tickets. In fact I'd place good money on Marvel enjoying the fan-rage because it means people are talking. If a comic fan rages to his non-comic reader friends about all the changes and how its ruined, its more likely to make people intrigued and want to see these changes for themselves.

Yeah. Bleeding Cool was just saying the complete acceptance of Jame Spader as Ultron is probably worse than the Affleck outcry in terms of PR as no-one is talking about the Spader announcement. I guess we are here but it's not BIG news.

Yeah. Bleeding Cool was just saying the complete acceptance of Jame Spader as Ultron is probably worse than the Affleck outcry in terms of PR as no-one is talking about the Spader announcement. I guess we are here but it's not BIG news.

Don't worry, when Hugh Jackman retires as Wolverine in the next couple years and Fox hurries to hire a replacement so they can keep the rights, we'll get plenty of Marvel-related outrage. But I agree, the news of Spader has kind of just come and gone but I think that's because it's good casting.

Batman casting will never be without controversy. Hell, I still remember the freakouts over hiring a British guy to play him in the Nolan reboots.

I honestly couldn't care less as long as Ultron is actually menacing and faithful in terms of character. I'm not even super fussed about how the character is handled as long as it is handled well. I'm sure Whedon can put a fun spin on him.

That's why I said some fans, not me specifically. I'll take faithful character representation over strict adherence to comic storylines any day of the week. All I said was I'm not sure how they can work Ultron in to the marvel cinematic universe easily. Like I said, I have faith in Joss Whedon, but I think he has his work cut out with the particular villain that's been chosen for this one.

Don't worry, when Hugh Jackman retires as Wolverine in the next couple years and Fox hurries to hire a replacement so they can keep the rights, we'll get plenty of Marvel-related outrage. But I agree, the news of Spader has kind of just come and gone but I think that's because it's good casting.

Batman casting will never be without controversy. Hell, I still remember the freakouts over hiring a British guy to play him in the Nolan reboots.

Yeah, Ultron isn't such a big name. The Wolverine casting will be under much more scrutiny just like Iron Man will be.

That's why I said some fans, not me specifically. I'll take faithful character representation over strict adherence to comic storylines any day of the week. All I said was I'm not sure how they can work Ultron in to the marvel cinematic universe easily. Like I said, I have faith in Joss Whedon, but I think he has his work cut out with the particular villain that's been chosen for this one.

I agree they will have to streamline a lot but given Ultron's origin, I don't think there is a way of doing the comic version in a 2 hour film. Now, if they'd went with the origin that was used in Avenger's Earth's mightiest heroes cartoon it could have worked.

Like you and awesome possum say there's no way you'll please some comic fans unless they are allowed to write the film or star in the role. They will still watch it and shout about it on the internet though :)

Meh, fuck Hank Pym. He'd just be redundant in the film next to Stark, and having another science whiz is unnecessary unless its a love interest.

Even Ant Man is better off with Scott Lang, unless they are using the cartoon version [of Pym] from Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Archived