Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - Hope springs eternal, we're all Tantalus here

Sci-2

Ye gods, this was episode 15 and we are still on the Big Coulson Secret. This has to be one of the dullest mystery arcs I've ever seen.

Amusingly lampshaded by Skye's "so what?" on being let in on the secret.

"He knows."

Ye gods, this was episode 15 and we are still on the Big Coulson Secret. This has to be one of the dullest mystery arcs I've ever seen.

Yup. I don't care at all.

Have to say, I do hate moles. The idea that May is spying for someone else, a secret that seems to be not that big a deal when you consider what happened in NY (yes, aliens exist), does not interest me at all.

Haven't got much to say about the episode, it was pretty much 'meh.'

Thor 2 Spoilers

I am interested to know whether the order to keep Lorelei alive came from Loki Odin, or Odin Odin. I felt it was fairly ambiguous whether Odin had been deposed or if Loki had impersonated him for just that one scene. As if it came from Loki, chances on her appearing in a film down the line?

Thor 2 Spoilers

I am interested to know whether the order to keep Lorelei alive came from Loki Odin, or Odin Odin. I felt it was fairly ambiguous whether Odin had been deposed or if Loki had impersonated him for just that one scene. As if it came from Loki, chances on her appearing in a film down the line?

Yea, that was my thoughts too. Don't know the answer but it does suggest we might.

Thor 2 Spoilers

Wondered about that myself.

I thought this episode was okay, but they should have found a less stupid way to have Ward end up charmed by Lorelei. He was holding a night-night gun but didn't shoot? WTF?

Wondered about that myself.

I thought this episode was okay, but they should have found a less stupid way to have Ward end up charmed by Lorelei. He was holding a night-night gun but didn't shoot? WTF?

And he had to be one of the exceptionally rare men who have to be touched by her to be charmed. *Mouth Vomit*

This show just needs to be rebooted and start fresh...preferably with people who actually know the material...even when a show is fun and/or decent, its hard to get too excited because I really don't care about any of the characters because they screwed the pooch telling this story when they started. It makes me sad.

Thor 2 Spoilers

We just got caught up last night (boyfriend works nights so it's hard to watch TV together)

We wondered this too. But wasn't the episode "The Well" canonically after Thor 2? London was being cleaned up after that battle. So it should be your latter supposition.

Still can't believe SKye was blase' as she was when receiving the news: You just got some experimental drug *from a really weird origin* injected into you, have no idea what the long term effects or side effects are and your answer is "So? Meh. Coulson seems OK several months after."

We wondered this too. But wasn't the episode "The Well" canonically after Thor 2? London was being cleaned up after that battle. So it should be your latter supposition.

Still can't believe SKye was blase' as she was when receiving the news: You just got some experimental drug *from a really weird origin* injected into you, have no idea what the long term effects or side effects are and your answer is "So? Meh. Coulson seems OK several months after."

Spoilered for the sake of any freaks who come here and haven't seen Thor 2

I know it is canonically after the Thor 2 reveal, but the thing with that 'reveal' was we simply don't know enough about what Loki has done in Asgard. He might have completely deposed Odin, or he might have just impersonated him to get Thor out of the way for a while, whilst Odin is still pretty much running the show.

They wouldn't have Loki kill Odin without showing it onscreen, so for Odin to be out of the picture Loki would have to have him immobilised somewhere. Which I find a little unlikely, I think that Loki is just lurking in Asgard, impersonating Odin when he can get away with it and it benefits him.

I know it is canonically after the Thor 2 reveal, but the thing with that 'reveal' was we simply don't know enough about what Loki has done in Asgard. He might have completely deposed Odin, or he might have just impersonated him to get Thor out of the way for a while, whilst Odin is still pretty much running the show.

They wouldn't have Loki kill Odin without showing it onscreen, so for Odin to be out of the picture Loki would have to have him immobilised somewhere. Which I find a little unlikely, I think that Loki is just lurking in Asgard, impersonating Odin when he can get away with it and it benefits him.

If he forced Odin into the Odinsleep (which was mentioned in the first movie), he could keep him out of the way indefinitely.

Thanks for adding the tags. I still haven't seen it... Netflix won't deliver it, dammit! "Long wait"...

If he forced Odin into the Odinsleep (which was mentioned in the first movie), he could keep him out of the way indefinitely.

Could have absolutely. I'm not familiar with the comics and how exactly the Odinsleep works, and what triggers it. But either way he'd have to have a place to keep him, and have allies and the equipment to keep him. Plus whilst Odin is an old man, he's still a pretty dangerous guy, Loki ubducting him without anyone noticing would be a pretty decent feat. Whatever happens we won't know for sure until it's confirmed by some other film or producer of the MCU.

Thanks for adding the tags. I still haven't seen it... Netflix won't deliver it, dammit! "Long wait"...

You're welcome. It's a great film, they really hit it out of the park.

Marvel’s ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Totally Fails On The Concept Of Sexual Consent

Last night, on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., agent Grant Ward, was brainwashed, kidnapped, and raped — and no one on the show seemed to notice. More disturbingly, the other thread of the episode was about how disturbed and betrayed Coulson is feeling because, while he was dead, S.H.I.E.L.D. did something to him he did not consent to and then brainwashed him into being okay with it. The audience is clearly supposed to understand Coulson’s position and to sympathize with him. The rape victim, once he’s unbrainwashed, gets punched by his lover. I guess this is supposed to be funny or understandable or something.

Double standard rape. If the genders had been reversed, say someone did it to Skye or Simmons, it would have blatantly been called rape. Also Lorelei was pretty ... so it's ok! (sarcasm mode)

I worked in education for a long time and every time there was an instance of female teacher w/ male student--esp. if teacher was pretty--it was, "Dang! Where was she when I was in school?" When it was a male teacher involved (there was a huge case in our district last year), it was "he's sick and disgusting!"

There was an almost identical episode in Stargate SG-1 entitled "Hathor", where alien goddess Hathor seduced the men with pheromones and implanted alien babies in one. Although in this case, it was shown to be bad and gross and in later episodes when the men see Hathor, they are clearly angry with what she did to them.

Yup. I don't care at all.

Have to say, I do hate moles. The idea that May is spying for someone else, a secret that seems to be not that big a deal when you consider what happened in NY (yes, aliens exist), does not interest me at all.

I didn't think it was specifically about aliens existing, but about the tools they used to get him healed. He has no idea how GH325 works or what it does and only found that out by breaking into the lab. It being reported up that he now knows how it happened isn't about the aliens but that he is figuring out what happened to him.

Double standard rape. If the genders had been reversed, say someone did it to Skye or Simmons, it would have blatantly been called rape. Also Lorelei was pretty ... so it's ok! (sarcasm mode)

I worked in education for a long time and every time there was an instance of female teacher w/ male student--esp. if teacher was pretty--it was, "Dang! Where was she when I was in school?" When it was a male teacher involved (there was a huge case in our district last year), it was "he's sick and disgusting!"

There was an almost identical episode in Stargate SG-1 entitled "Hathor", where alien goddess Hathor seduced the men with pheromones and implanted alien babies in one. Although in this case, it was shown to be bad and gross and in later episodes when the men see Hathor, they are clearly angry with what she did to them.

It's annoying. I guess the other characters don't know it happened but you'd think Ward would be a bit annoyed. He seems to be making a habit of being possessed my asgardian tech.

If you thought stargate sg-1 was bad you should see SG-U - a running storyline was essentially about people controlling other people's minds and using them for sex. No-one ever seemed to have a problem with it within the show.

Archived