Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - Hope springs eternal, we're all Tantalus here

Sci-2

don't think this has been linked before. but in case it is a spoiler for any

Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders) will be in the May sweeps and apparently Jackson will reappear in the season finale. So much for spoilers in the articles....

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/marvels-agents-h-e-l-d-exclusive-cobie-160004891.html

I'm suspicious of Hand offering Ward a chance to kill Gruff in cold blood. There seems to be something of a stitch up there, and even though it would be pretty awesome for Ward to be a fully paid up member of Hydra it feels like ex-SHIELD has just placed a mole inside Hydra, and maybe Had took a leaf from the Half-hands (and Dumbledore's, but the half-halnd's first) play book and got Ward (aka Jon Snow) to do the only thing that would get him in to Hydra, which is to kill the boss. A huge move of ultimate sacrifice, but with the promise of doing to Hydra what Hydra did to SHEILD and destroy it from within. A fake death, a la Nick Fury, for Hand would be wrong. I think a dead hand gives the show a bit more gravitas, if Ward is in fact a triple(?) agent.

Like Snape, and unlike Jon Snow, Ward's redemption will only come when he also dies sacrificially.

OR

2 birds with one stone, Ward turns Skye to Hydra and Skye exits stage left to join the villains and she's only seen occasionally.

I'm so glad I'm watching the show on the US timetable and not on the NZ timetable. On NZ TV the show is only up to the events of Thor 2. This show needs to be watched in conjunction with the movie release schedule, so I hope for Season 2 the other TV markets air the shows in the same week as they air in the USA.

Best episode of the season.

So Avengers 2 will be Avengers vs Hydra?

I'm suspicious of Hand offering Ward a chance to kill Gruff in cold blood. There seems to be something of a stitch up there, and even though it would be pretty awesome for Ward to be a fully paid up member of Hydra it feels like ex-SHIELD has just placed a mole inside Hydra, and maybe Had took a leaf from the Half-hands (and Dumbledore's, but the half-halnd's first) play book and got Ward (aka Jon Snow) to do the only thing that would get him in to Hydra, which is to kill the boss. A huge move of ultimate sacrifice, but with the promise of doing to Hydra what Hydra did to SHEILD and destroy it from within. A fake death, a la Nick Fury, for Hand would be wrong. I think a dead hand gives the show a bit more gravitas, if Ward is in fact a triple(?) agent.

When? That's my biggest issue with how this will play out (if he's a triple agent). When was there an opportunity for Hand/Ward to concoct this plan? How would he fake kill three people on a small plane where Paxton would be still alive and likely check? And if it's Ward on his own, then he flat out murdered three good guys to do it, which is ridiculous. There just is no logical way this would work that I can see given what we've seen.

I'm putting my 2 cents in and saying that Ward is 100% brainwashed ala

Spoiler
Bucky in Cap 2

Remember that scene at the end with Ward almost blocking out what Garrett was saying and that weird look/stare in his eyes?

I just saw Cap 2 yesterday and I remember seeing that exact thing happen to the person mentioned in the spoiler cut above. Like exactly the same thing. Same sound effect, same direction, same everything.

Brainwashing would be not just a retread of Ward's story a couple of episodes ago, it would also just be a variation on people like Mike who are working for Hydra against their will. Mike is even still around as a recurring, unwilling antagonist.

I maintain that the only way this twist isn't going to be completely robbed of its impact is if Ward is a willing Hydra operative who will ultimately not go back to Team Coulson (or should that be Team Skye at this point?), even though he may be a little conflicted about it since he has come to care about them on a personal level.

It's quite obvious, he's a Cylon.

I took his stare session at the end to be simple guilt, between the guys he shot and his SO. I have hopes for this storyline. And the show in general, they need a better dialogue writer on the show and quickly, but I think it's more or less heading in the right direction.

If be more suspicious that it was all a fake out for Ward to infiltrate Hydra if he hadn't put two more bullets into Hand...

yeah, unlike some of the ridiculous conversations in the book threads, Garrett is smart enough to check the three bodies to make sure they are dead. Ward going for the triple tap really cements it for me. Now, if they do come back with a fakeout (LMD, some concocted BS) to save those three...yeah, even for how much I enjoy this universe I'd be done I think. For the show, the movies I'd still watch.

Brainwashing would be not just a retread of Ward's story a couple of episodes ago, it would also just be a variation on people like Mike who are working for Hydra against their will. Mike is even still around as a recurring, unwilling antagonist.

I maintain that the only way this twist isn't going to be completely robbed of its impact is if Ward is a willing Hydra operative who will ultimately not go back to Team Coulson (or should that be Team Skye at this point?), even though he may be a little conflicted about it since he has come to care about them on a personal level.

I don't think he has to stay Hydra, just that he needs to be Hydra in some part. I'd be fine with him eventually having to choose and he does choose team Coulson - just as long as it doesn't happen in one heartfelt outpouring. This should be something that takes some time to develop.

Haven't read spoilers for the new episode, just wondering if I can watch it before I watch captain america 2?

I think so. There are a few things that might make you go. Whuh! But they were pretty obvious from the trailer. CA2 then Agent's is probably the best order all round though.

I think so. There are a few things that might make you go. Whuh! But they were pretty obvious from the trailer. CA2 then Agent's is probably the best order all round though.

Yea, I agree. You can watch it but you won't have a ton of the backstory. When you do see CA2, you'll have an "oh shit" moment but I don't think seeing the episode will detract either way.

don't think this has been linked before. but in case it is a spoiler for any

Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders) will be in the May sweeps and apparently Jackson will reappear in the season finale. So much for spoilers in the articles....

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/marvels-agents-h-e-l-d-exclusive-cobie-160004891.html

I"m hopeful that this individual will be joining the cast on a more regular basis...

I don't think he has to stay Hydra, just that he needs to be Hydra in some part. I'd be fine with him eventually having to choose and he does choose team Coulson - just as long as it doesn't happen in one heartfelt outpouring. This should be something that takes some time to develop.

Well I have zero faith in the writers at this point, so I think turning Ward into a white hat would probably make him as boring to watch as he has been up to this episode, so that's somethig to be avoided. Hell, there's no guarantee that evil Ward is going to be any more engaging a character than pretending-to-not-be-evil Ward.

I"m hopeful that this individual will be joining the cast on a more regular basis...

Somehow I doubt many higher profile actors will be looking at this show as anything they want to be involved with on a regular basis, even if they get a second season. Though if said involvement is tied to more movie appearances that might be different.

Well I have zero faith in the writers at this point, so I think turning Ward into a white hat would probably make him as boring to watch as he has been up to this episode, so that's somethig to be avoided. Hell, there's no guarantee that evil Ward is going to be any more engaging a character than pretending-to-not-be-evil Ward.

can't argue that even if I thought differently. :)

I am hoping that this will start a turn around, that because they have something bigger than just the Scoobie Gang to go around solving mysteries to write into that this will drive some better plotting, arcs, characterization...kinda everything apparently.

Really enjoyed the episode.

Couple of thoughts:

Figured Paxton was going to turn out as the Clairovayant or at least Hydra. Not sure why.

Ward/skye fling thing needs to disapear. It wasn't needed and wasn't done well at all. Just no.

Ward needs to just be a bad guy. It will be hugely disapointing, to me anyway, if he is brainwashed/double agent/or some other mcguffin to explain why he did it. He just needs to be hydra.

Did anyone else find it odd that they focused on Hand's hand in the plane? It seemed like they really zoomed in on her hand with the blood dripping off of it. Which leads me to believe that she isn't dead and its all a conspiracy to get Ward into Hydra(no, please god no).

Lastly, did anyone catch the commercial at the end of the episode with little kids acting out scenes from Cap 2? It was adorable.

Metawise, he's just too big of an actor to just be Some Dude.

Yeah, I figured Paxton had to be a major adversary or else die heroically to spur the team on.

Garrett being Hydra and Ward appearing to be as well, means Coulson's team may have some trust issues about Triplett as he is the only member of his team that Garrett spared. If Triplett was Hydra and knew Hand wasn't, then he may have guessed she was bluffing when she gave Simmons and him their loyalty test.

My main reason for thinking it being a set up for Ward to be an infiltrator into Hydra is that I just don't buy Hand offering Ward a chance to ice Gruff on the spot as consistent with her character, or with a highly professional level 9 operative. At her level she would be thinking very strategically and know that Gruff is of a great deal of use alive, at least until they have time to try to pump him for all the information they have. And, this would be the only opportunity SHIELD has of getting a deep cover agent inside Hydra.

Gun filled with blanks, blood packets in her clothes, dendrotoxin to lower heart rate to 1/minute. It would take about 30 minutes for Hand, Ward, Coulson and co to set that up. If the bodies get thrown out of the plane then I'll be even more certain it was all a ruse. They will all have parachutes that will auto-deploy and get them safe to ground even while still unconscious.

Also it would make much more sense for Ward to remain hidden in what remains of SHIELD than for him to out himself. All that would require is for Ward to show restraint, unlike he did with the fake clairvoyant, and chose to send Gruff to the fridge, which Hand would have totally respected, and which would have earned him cred with Hand.

Plus, Ward never said hail Hydra.

Jaxom 1974, on 11 Apr 2014 - 03:57 AM, said:snapback.png

Somehow I doubt many higher profile actors will be looking at this show as anything they want to be involved with on a regular basis, even if they get a second season. Though if said involvement is tied to more movie appearances that might be different.

Said person isn't exactly a high profile actor though, certainly not a Robert Downey or Gwyneth - conscious uncoupling - Paltrow, or Scarlett Johannsen level of profile.

Archived