Video Games: Holiday Sale (AKA Empty Wallet) Edition

KiDisaster

Technically there is no 'canon' Shepard, whatever you choose is fine. Of course, this was before they announced there would be a ME4, so they're either going to pick one after all or keep it vague.

I think the general consensus is that both are reasonable choices, but Jennifer Hale is simply the much better voice actor.

Wait, the vampire lord mode is bad? That's what I was looking forward to the most...

The transformation animation to turn into a vampire is too long to make it practical in most cases, and you can't stomp around in vampire mode all the time as you either get attacked on sight by everyone and everything, or you can't fit through most doors and archways in the game as you're now about 30% bigger than as a normal character ;) It's extremely frustrating.

Wait, the vampire lord mode is bad? That's what I was looking forward to the most...

Well I enjoy it, but I'm easily pleased. I enjoy transforming and then flinging lesser vampires around whenever I encounter them and the health drain spell is very powerful, but I rarely use it and I've never had the bite animation thing I keep reading about on loading screens for some reason.

Edit: Oh and what Wert said about the doorways and people attacking on sight.

I prefer it to the Werewolf, for what it's worth.

The Binding of Isaac is currently 99p on steam and will be for the next 7 hours (and its expansion is 49p). In terms of hours of gaming per penny spent I doubt you'll find a better deal ever.

Interesting Skyrim glitch, spoilers from the Companions questline (if anyone cares about Skyrim spoilers anymore)

Skjor has returned from the dead. I walked into Jorrvaskr one time and there he was, sitting and eating. He gives me quests and everything and still treats me like I'm a newbie, even though I'm the Harbinger...

Just putting these out there: there's an awesome Game of Thrones Mod for Warband that just updated, and an epic LoZ Hyrule Total War mod. I haven't played the latter but seeing the playthroughs of the guy's story missions, it gives off an epic Warhammer meets LotR vibe, which is just insane.

My 4th game of Victoria II:

http://imgur.com/a/KpKSr

Similar to other Paradox games, once you get a handle on the mechanics, it becomes trivially easy, at least as a country that starts strong.

CK2 is amazing. The new expansion pack adds in events for Joan of Arc and a rare "your child is the spawn of satan" event chains. Someone actually got both in succession as King of Ireland. :laugh:

I love Paradox.

Final Fantasy 7. I remember playing it aroubd christmas time years ago and the bits around the great glacier with the snowboarding village stuck in my mind.

I'm quite partial to 6, and Vagrant Story; though I had to get them off Virtual Console as I never had a PS1/SNES...

Historical RPG with no fantasy elements in development.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be a historically-accurate game set in the Holy Roman Empire during 1403. It will be an open-world RPG completely lacking any kind of fantasy element whatsoever: no magic, dragons, elves or anything else. The focus will be on the storyline, character development and combat, involving sieges, open field battles and personal combat (on both foot and horseback).

Looks promising. The development team consists of veterans of the ARMA series and the two Mafia games. Not out until 2015 though. Many screenshots here.

I've always loved the pike and shot/Age of Discovery era, and wanted to write a novel or two a la Monarchies of God. I snatched EUIV as soon as I could, but get the MEIOU and Taxes mod for it, the map alone is epic, not to mention all the new ideas/factions etc..

Has anyone played 'Star Forge'? It's on sale on the Steam and it looks like a pretty version of Minecraft. I'm on the fence...

Haven't played it but from what I've read on the Steam forums it's still a very early work in progress and doesn't include all the features in the trailer.

Yeah, I bought it and was very quickly confused-faced. I'll give it a chance, though.

So, I don't get a whole lot of free time, but I decided that it'd be a great idea to try to learn how to make a videogame.

I'm currently downloading the Unity software and the UDK software, if anyone has experience or knows of a good tutorial for this stuff, I'd appreciate any advice.

On male vs female Shep, in addition to having only played female Shep I feel like female Shep also thematically fits the story better. I can't actually explain why though so perhaps it's just rationalising my personal preference :p Jennifer Hale is awesome though.

The transformation animation to turn into a vampire is too long to make it practical in most cases, and you can't stomp around in vampire mode all the time as you either get attacked on sight by everyone and everything, or you can't fit through most doors and archways in the game as you're now about 30% bigger than as a normal character ;) It's extremely frustrating.

The Vampire Lord transformation is only really useful outside but it's great fun going around the Countryside slaughtering everyone or throwing Giants off cliffs, or is that just me?.

The Vampire Lord transformation is only really useful outside but it's great fun going around the Countryside slaughtering everyone or throwing Giants off cliffs, or is that just me?.

I enjoy that too as a werewolf, but it's annoying waiting two minutes to change back to human form so you can loot everyone you killed.

A QUESTION FOR MY FELLOW videoGAMERS!

I've got a new pc...what game should I play this Christmas? I like RPGs, it's been a while since the Iast time I played, so I'm open to any advice!

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition

Arguably the best RPG of recent times, and its on sale on steam for $10.

Edit: One of the best cinematic trailers you will ever see for anything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGYrm9kRzWs

I've got a new pc...what game should I play this Christmas? I like RPGs, it's been a while since the Iast time I played, so I'm open to any advice!

Unreservedly:

Mass Effect 1, 2, 3

Dragon Age Origins, II

Fallout 3, New Vegas

Skyrim

Somewhat reservedly

Dark Souls (if you really like a challenge)

Dragon's Dogma (a little less challenging, but really dumb plot)

Kingdoms of Amular (Great for about 30 hours, then really repetitive)

Divinity II (Not super polished, but fun)

The Witcher II (everyone but me seems to love it)

Note that I played all of these on the 360, so I don't know how they play on the PC.

As an outside candidate, Crusader Kings II, while it isn't technically an RPG it is great for role playing.

As an outside candidate, Crusader Kings II, while it isn't technically an RPG it is great for role playing.

Oh my god yes. And it's on sale today. :cool4:

FF7 and 8 (!) came to steam, snagged em in the sale yesterday.

Dishonored and Deus Ex (both of them) are also cool; if you like one you'll like the other as they have similar setups, e.g. hbryid 1st person/RPG, "open" gameplay (stealth-nonlethal v.s. lethal is the main divide, but there's more than that) and a very engaging, dark storyline.

Archived