Your most painful/difficult reads (or emotionally draining)

Kaminsod

Datepalm, basically books you read that were so bad, the reading experience bordered on being painful.

The book doesn't have to be bad. The experience can be almost painful if you just don't find the text interesting and you're just sort of forcing yourself to trudge through it. At least that's how it is for the Eye of the World. I can't say the book is at all bad, just that it's a bit of a chore to read and so far, for me, hasn't provided much in the way to appreciate.

Datepalm, seems a bit overly dismissive to me...

Sorry, no offense intended, I was just trying to be funny. (I should probably stop.) This is just about, well, really bad books. That's a very common question, actually*. The question of books that are good but hurtful to read...that is an interesting, complicated, personal question and I don't remember talking about it before either. Oh well, different thread.

* The answer is still David Farland's Runelords. It is always Runelords.

Sorry, no offense intended, I was just trying to be funny. (I should probably stop.) This is just about, well, really bad books. That's a very common question, actually*. The question of books that are good but hurtful to read...that is an interesting, complicated, personal question and I don't remember talking about it before either. Oh well, different thread.

* The answer is still David Farland's Runelords. It is always Runelords.

Oh i see, no problems then, i myself often come off the wrong way trying to be funny.

ASoIaF and TWoT are my favorite series. With both I had a hard time getting into on the first try. But I was probably just not in the mood at the time.

One that comes to mind is The Song of Roland. I actually read it fast because it was required, but about a month later I probably forgot every single word from it. Really difficult to comprehend.

Trying to read Dune when I was 12-13 was a bad idea. Tried again in college, and greatly enjoyed it.

And lastly, but not the least, Romanian literature is mostly shit, and I could not read anything more than short stories.

Trying to read Dune when I was 12-13 was a bad idea. Tried again in college, and greatly enjoyed it.

I tried to convince a friend to read Dune recently, as it's my favorite science fiction novel. He read the first few pages and dropped it, telling me how he couldn't understand how anybody could read something so dense.

Going back to my sophomore year of high school, I still put ​The Scarlet Letter as the book I had the most difficulty reading. I didn't particularly enjoy it either, although I imagine I would have enjoyed it more so if it weren't for Hawthorne's atrocious (in my opinion) writing style.

I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.

There's sort of a point at the end but I can see why it took a while to "catch on" as I think a lot of people gave up on it before getting anywhere near the conclusion. It's word of mouth that it's good that forces you through. I can still see why it's a great book - it just isn't for me.

I know the thread is apparently about awful books but I was mentioning books that are just really had work. My first two attempts at Fellowship of the Ring as a kid fit that category and everything before they leave Tom Bombadil still feels like a test to me.

Cloud Atlas was also a massive slog through the first half (particularly the one about the old guy in the present) - yet the second half is amazing and I'd still say it's one of the best books I've read even if it's nowhere near the most enjoyable books I've read.

I understand the most painful/difficult reads in this topic as those I was bored to death with them, and struggled with even bringing myself to read them, and did not care about the plot or any of the characters at all.

Most of those for me were assigned reading at any given level of education:

Dostojevski: Crime and Punishment

Goethe: The Sorrows of Young Werther

Those come to mind first, but there were surely more. A bunch of Slovene books too, but I do not suppose those titles would mean anything here. ;)

I also could not bring myself to read more LOTR than just Fellowship, and even suffered through that one.

If the painful/difficult reads are understood as those that made such an impression that you actually felt hurt by it ... Camus: The Stranger comes to mind. I just could not keep reading more than two chapters. Terrible.

Faust Part Two by Goethe still haunts me to this day.

In Germany, there is a kind of subculture in the upper-mid class and aboves that emphasizes the need to learn humanist knowledge, especially greek and roman mythology. Therefore every social upstart like myself has to learn some basics to get arround. Of course this knowledge is absolutely worthless and not actually needed in your job. Faust Part Two was probably my journeyman´s piece. It is truely and utterly horrible and its meaning has to be decoded sentence by sentence.

Faust Part One is brilliant however.

There's lots of books I've dropped due to them just being crap, so I'm going to treat this topic as if it were about books that are actually probably good.

Glad I'm not the only one that struggled with Catch-22. I'll give it another go at some point, when I'm actually in the mood to read something like that.

The first chapter of Alan Moore's The Voice of the Fire is a good example. The first chapter is written from the first person POV of a mentally disabled young caveman. A sample:

I is with dry-meat in I's mouth, that many of I's sayins is she make I more whiles say, more good for glean. Say I of walk, and pigs as come to logs, and say I now of shagfoal. She is shake head fore and back, for sign that she is glean of they.

I think I forced myself through 2-3 pages a day. It's also, at 60 pages, the longest chapter in the book. Excellent book though and worth the slog.

Blood Meridian

I'll second that. I suffered through The Road and thought maybe he just wrote like that because of the futile, post apocalyptic setting, so I gave the much loved Blood Meridian a shot. I can't stand Cormac McCarthy's prose, it's turgid. Which is a shame, because a dark, brutal Western sounds like the kind of thing I'd really enjoy, otherwise.

Another one I'll throw in the hat is 2666 by Roberto Bolano. I really wanted to like it, and I don't even mind that it doesn't have an overarcing plot if there were interesting characters, but the whole thing just felt overly long, nonsensical and pointless.

Red Badge of Courage

Hobbit

Blood Meridian

None of those was were bad but each felt like a slog.

Huh, I can see Blood Meridian being a slog for sure. But I remember flying through Red Badge back in the day.

Like DP I thought this thread was different than what it turned into when I opened it. But to keep it to a book i struggled through without just listing bad books I will say The Emperor's Knife. I could see a lot to like about it but I found myself doing ANYTHING to keep from reading it, so eventually I dropped it.

Archived