How angry are you when you see someone texting in a movie theatre ? or when they throw popcorn at you ?

Gneisenau

Yeah, that's what brings this whole thing down.

I mean, once the movies started, sure, homicide becomes justifiable. But before the movie? Totally unacceptable.

Of course, the fact that he shot him is also problematic. That's far too noisy and distracting for the other people who are just trying to watch the movie. Just quickly and most importantly quietly slit the guys throat or something and then get back to the movie.

Another problem with the slitting of throat is the blood splatter. I imagine someone will be pissed at that, too.

People these days..

Why in bloody hell would you even take your gun to the movie theater? I wonder if this guy has dementia issues that no one knows about.

he might be one of the guys who think armed people in the cinema would've prevented what happened during those batman screenings in colorado.

was it colorado? or some other state?

he might be one of the guys who think armed people in the cinema would've prevented what happened during those batman screenings in colorado.

was it colorado? or some other state?

Prevent? No. End shooting event sooner? Maybe. Possibly make a horrendous situation in a darkened theater worse? High probability.

I am not against guns, but carrying one into a crowded theater where you are going to be in the dark for the majority of the time just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Why in bloody hell would you even take your gun to the movie theater? I wonder if this guy has dementia issues that no one knows about.

I take my gun to the movies, every time I go. Went and watched lone survivor yesterday, had my gun. Went and watched frozen three weeks ago, had my gun. Owning, and taking your firearm to a theater (unless they've added to the DSM) does not dementia make.

Prevent? No. End shooting event sooner? Maybe. Possibly make a horrendous situation in a darkened theater worse? High probability.

I am not against guns, but carrying one into a crowded theater where you are going to be in the dark for the majority of the time just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Good arguments. Doesn't really make it that insane that the person in the theater would want a gun regardless. People will take a maybe with some possible action available before they take a "shit happens" approach, even if the thing happening is relatively unlikely.

Also, with his training (the cop), I'm pretty comfortable he might have been able to mitigated the situation better than most.

I am not sure about Florida law, but they could have laws on the books that make it justifiable homicide...

For example... if it is over 100 degrees here in Texas, if the air conditioning goes out in your trailer you can shoot someone that takes your last Lone Star beer.

There has been a push to expand that law to include Shiner Bock, but as for now, it is only Lone Star...

This is a perfect example of how ill considered and stupid Texas laws are.

Shiner is sooo much better than Lone Star.

Also, with his training (the cop), I'm pretty comfortable he might have been able to mitigated the situation better than most.

For a US cop? A person likely trained by habit to lean on the authority of his position? Even if he was apparently a firearm safety instructor as well, I kind of doubt it. But that might be the biased view we get of US police officers.

This was my thoughts too. He's 71 and this was not the first incident he was involved in. (ok, I heard that on the news this morning, but don't know anything else)

i fully agree that it's highly probable colorado theater situation would've been much worse had someone else in the theater been armed.

now that i read it again, my prevoius post might have been poorly worded to cause you to think otherwise.

call me a eurocommie, but i am against civilians bearing firearms freely.

this is a clear example of a situtation that could've been avoided had no gun been at hand.

I take my gun to the movies, every time I go. Went and watched lone survivor yesterday, had my gun. Went and watched frozen three weeks ago, had my gun. Owning, and taking your firearm to a theater (unless they've added to the DSM) does not dementia make.

may i ask why you take your gun to the movies?

what do you hope to achieve by doing so?

When I saw Pacific Rim in the theater, the guy in front of me was not only texting, but cruising the Internet during the movie. Like, I definitely saw a yelp page at one point. I was getting so mad that it was all I could focus on, and that was making me mad because I was having an otherwise great time at a Giant Fighting Robot movie.

I fantasized about tapping him on the shoulder and politely asking him to refrain from using his phone during the movie, but in my head the next phase of the interaction always involved him being a jerk so ultimately I just sat and suffered in silence. Basically, I chickened out. My desire to avoid confrontation with a stranger won out, but I decided he had to pay somehow so I kicked the back of his seat, hard, every time I crossed and uncrossed my legs. Which was often. Yes I realize that was lame and passive-aggressive but it really seemed like the sensible decision at the time. I didn't want to get shot or yelled at or worse, have my request ignored.

AMP,

I'm reading that there was a "no firearms" warning posted at the theater. The 2nd amendment does not override private property owners rights to bar firearms from their premises. As such he may lose his "stand your ground" argument from the get go, I hope.

Oh I was referring to the possibility of dementia.

Aww, you had a date with it.

What about the gurgling though? Surely that's bad? Smothering perhaps? A sleeper hold till he passes out?

I thought about strangulation or the like, but then the person might thrash and kick the seat in front of them and that's just not acceptable.

Poison. Curare.

Does it work fast enough? And how to administer? I guess you could jab them with a needle or something.

Archived