Watch, Watched, Watching: New Year, New List.

Grand Moff Mithrandir

Well there is Long Way Down, their journey from Scotland to South Africa, if you haven't watched that :). I'm gonna watch it after I'm done with the first series.

I heard about that one a while back, but I was told that it wasn't nearly as good. I might be tempted to give it a try though.

I see on VH-1 they've gone and done "I love the 2000's". How wise is this? I mean what if they do a segment "I love the 2000's" with current D-list celebrities making idiotic snarky comments about the "I love the 70's, 80's, and 90's" series that came out in the 2000's that featured then D-list celebrities making idiotic snarky comments about previous decades...wouldn't that cause the universe to implode?

Just watched Anchorman II. It's awful, a complete cashgrab. I'm not a big fan of Will Ferrell, but the first Anchorman is one of my favorite comedies ever. The second one is just an utter piece of shit. All people involved should be ashamed of themselves. It's a miracle that I even finished the damn thing.

I agree. It wasn't good at all. Even though I did laugh through the fight scene. Especially when the History channel showed up. That was the only thing in the whole movie that I even enjoyed.

I see on VH-1 they've gone and done "I love the 2000's". How wise is this? I mean what if they do a segment "I love the 2000's" with current D-list celebrities making idiotic snarky comments about the "I love the 70's, 80's, and 90's" series that came out in the 2000's that featured then D-list celebrities making idiotic snarky comments about previous decades...wouldn't that cause the universe to implode?

I watched it a few weekends ago and while it wasn't to bad, it didn't have the impact that even the I love the 90s did for me. I just think it was to soon to have something like that.

I marathoned Fargo in the last day and a half. Extraordinary. I couldn't stop watching -- would have gone through all 10 episodes back to back if I hadn't needed to sleep. I'm a fan of FX but I wasn't expecting this kind of quality. Probably the best thing they've ever made. The cast, the characters, the writing, the score, the cinematography.. everything was very well done. Billy Bob Thornton as the second coming of Anton Chigurh was fantastic but I think Allison Tohlman really stole the show.

I can't believe someone decided to make a TV series off a random movie made 20 years ago. I also can't believe they were able to re-create the tone and writing so well.

This has been such a great year for television.

I watched it a few weekends ago and while it wasn't to bad, it didn't have the impact that even the I love the 90s did for me. I just think it was to soon to have something like that.

Man I used to love watching those. They were a great way to fill up time. Need something to watch while doing some other activity? VH1 was always playing them!

I'm not sure if I could watch one for the 2000's though, but then again I'm pretty positive I said the exact same thing about the I Love The 90's and that really wasn't that bad.

I marathoned Fargo in the last day and a half. Extraordinary. I couldn't stop watching -- would have gone through all 10 episodes back to back if I hadn't needed to sleep. I'm a fan of FX but I wasn't expecting this kind of quality. Probably the best thing they've ever made. The cast, the characters, the writing, the score, the cinematography.. everything was very well done. Billy Bob Thornton as the second coming of Anton Chigurh was fantastic but I think Allison Tohlman really stole the show.

I can't believe someone decided to make a TV series off a random movie made 20 years ago. I also can't believe they were able to re-create the tone and writing so well.

You've moved me. I will watch this next.

I can now personally vouch for the brilliance of Pink Floyd The Wall. It really is an experience to watch this film. The music is of course mindblowingly good, the imagery is deeply disturbing, Geldoff gives a great performance, the animation is unsettling and the whole atmosphere of the movie is really powerful.

omg.

I think I was 20 when this came out in the theatres and my 'weed friendly' friends dragged me out to see it ... and I was stupified, being a non 'weed friendly' person. Over the years I've come to realise the sheer brilliance of the film, but back then? Shook my head throughout the whole thing.

lol

I thoroughly enjoyed this show, especially Billy Bob Thornton's input, as I'd never really cared for any of his other work ... just all round great stuff from everyone (cast and crew) this past season. Makes me look forward to what else they can come up with. :)

That's some bold words right there. I'll try to forget them or my expectations will be too high.

Yup... toss them right out. Fargo had performances that were up to the standard, but the writing was shoddy in places. It was still a great show.

After watching Attack on Titan last month and Stuckmann's video 'why anime is important' last week, I finally decided to get over my anti-anime bias and check out some classics. I started out with Cowboy Bebop. I watched all 26 episodes and the movie. I have to say that I was impressed. The show almost deserves its score (9) on IMDB.

Now, I wouldn't say it was perfect. There were some bad episodes (2 and 17). The wardrobe for the main female star was - in typical anime tradition - designed to appeal to horny teenage boys instead of being practical. There were some threads left dangling that I found kind of strange (there is a discovery in episode 9 which seemed rather huge, but is never brought up again). And there was one character (whom I shall dubb 'annoying Edward') who seemed to embody everything I hated about anime for years. If they ever make a live action movie, I pray they have to sense to cut that waste of space.

However this show had some stunning highs. The soundtrack is great, the atmosphere is cool and every time the characters back story is adressed (with the exception of annoying Edward) you can bet you'll be on the edge of your seat. It has a couple of great stand-alone episodes (Sympathy with the devil, Asteroid Blues, Brain Scratch, Pierot le Fou, Waltz for Venus). It's also all over the map concerning genre. It's mostly spacewestern, but there are lots of other elements in it (film noir, hardboiled detective stories, horror, etc.) and some episodes have a different focus like episodes that pay hommage to the Alien franchise and to Blaxploitation movies (although I can't say I enjoyed the latter).

The real sellingpoint however, is the finale. The way this show ends is nothing short of majestic. I'm thrown back and forth between wanting more episodes and preserving the ending the way it was originally conceived. If they ever make a good live action adaptation and end it the same way, than a lot of peoples mind would be blown.

The movie was okay. It had some pacing issues and there were times when I though the story was pretty sloppy. As if the writers thought, this needs to happen now and just insert it, without paying much attention to why it happens. It's a shame though, the ideas behind the movie were more than solid. Perhaps if they made it into a two part episode they might have achieved another highpoint with this series.

Like most comedy sequels, it made the mistake of repeating all the well-recieved jokes from the first one, and completely overdid it.

I sadly agree completely.

I agree. It wasn't good at all. Even though I did laugh through the fight scene. Especially when the History channel showed up. That was the only thing in the whole movie that I even enjoyed.

I was so looking forward to that scene, but it was so uninspired.. This movie wasn't even as funny as the trailer. All the jokes I laughed at while watching the trailer just completely failed in the movie.

omg.

I think I was 20 when this came out in the theatres and my 'weed friendly' friends dragged me out to see it ... and I was stupified, being a non 'weed friendly' person. Over the years I've come to realise the sheer brilliance of the film, but back then? Shook my head throughout the whole thing.

lol

I can't even imagine watching the Wall on weed, that must be terrifying XD

I thoroughly enjoyed this show, especially Billy Bob Thornton's input, as I'd never really cared for any of his other work ... just all round great stuff from everyone (cast and crew) this past season. Makes me look forward to what else they can come up with. :)

Not even in Bad Santa? I don't like him much either but he was great in that :D

Smart choice. It's easily the best new show this year (yes Fargo > True Detective).

I'll have to disagree :P TD might have had a disappointing ending, but the first few episode were phenomenal. Fargo on the other hand started to fizzle out from the beginning. The pilot was really good, but it was just ordinary after that, with an occasional flash of brilliance (like a certain shoot-out in the snow). I'm a huge fan of Martin Freeman and some of the other actors involved but it just didn't grab me. I fell behind and stopped watching after episode 6, since I heard that the ending wasn't very good.

I'm 6 episodes into the first season of Hemlock Grove. It's had some pretty cool special effects, but overall the story is just...well...not very good, in my opinion. I'm a big werewolf/vampire fan, and I really wanted to like this show, but it's not doing much for me.

I'm going to finish it, though. Clocking 60 hours of Night Shift work this week. Weeeee!

I'm 6 episodes into the first season of Hemlock Grove. It's had some pretty cool special effects, but overall the story is just...well...not very good, in my opinion. I'm a big werewolf/vampire fan, and I really wanted to like this show, but it's not doing much for me.

I'm going to finish it, though. Clocking 60 hours of Night Shift work this week. Weeeee!

it's worth watching the first to get to the second season which I thought was pretty neat!! Also Olivia is pretty awesome in the second season and hilariously drops her not quite british accent that annoys everyone in the first. Shelley and Dr Pryce's stories are solid and the ENDING OF SEASON 2 IS INSANE. Oh and destiny has a much bigger part in the second season which is great. Honestly stick it out - end of season 1 is pretty cool too.

it's worth watching the first to get to the second season which I thought was pretty neat!! Also Olivia is pretty awesome in the second season and hilariously drops her not quite british accent that annoys everyone in the first. Shelley and Dr Pryce's stories are solid and the ENDING OF SEASON 2 IS INSANE. Oh and destiny has a much bigger part in the second season which is great. Honestly stick it out - end of season 1 is pretty cool too.

That accent is so bizarre! LOL! I'm not sure what is more irritating, the accent or Roman's weird pouty face. But yeah, I'm planning to stick it out. :) Hopefully we'll get to see more of the special powers.

That accent is so bizarre! LOL! I'm not sure what is more irritating, the accent or Roman's weird pouty face. But yeah, I'm planning to stick it out. :) Hopefully we'll get to see more of the special powers.

I love Roman's face lol.

Olivia is so much better in season 2.

Finally got around to seeing Idi i smotri (aka Come and See). It really is one of the greatest warmovies ever made and one of those rare movies that doesn't glorify war at all, so there is no Saving Private Ryan crap in it. Still, it wasn't as great as I thought it would be (that will teach me to keep my expectations in check).

The main problem imo was that it was a little bit to black and white in some parts. I can't really elaborate on it, because I would spoil things. However, it's still well worth a watch. I guarantee that some images and scenes in this movie will stay with you forever.

After watching Attack on Titan last month and Stuckmann's video 'why anime is important' last week, I finally decided to get over my anti-anime bias and check out some classics. I started out with Cowboy Bebop. I watched all 26 episodes and the movie. I have to say that I was impressed. The show almost deserves its score (9) on IMDB.

Ah, Attack on Titan. Never did finish watching all the episodes, but must do so, as hubs and I were hooked on the episodes we did see. And now you've convinced me to check out Cowboy Bebop to boot! :cheers:

I wasn't sure about this show (being a werewolf fan), and yet Famke Janssen was so mesmerising that I couldn't not watch it ... just because of her evilly evilness. I'm definitely a fan of hers because of the show, but the rest (story, effects) didn't impress me much. Not that I could do a better job, of course. It's just that I'd rather re-watch Grimm or American Horror Story episodes when I'm marathoning tv. :P Did I mention how much I love Famke Janssen in it? :lol:

In the Loop, a movie about how the UK & US fell into the worthless war in Iraq.

Good to see Malcom Tucker ride again.

Woot! I recommend this movie to any of my pals who ask ... if only for the Malcolm Tucker vs James Gandolfini snark-off!!!

What a fun movie (which reminds me that I'm really looking forward to him in Doc Who!).

Archived