Watch, Watched, Watching: New Year, New List.

Grand Moff Mithrandir

I watched the Veronica Mars movie tonight... not good. Super cheesy and the production qualities were about the same as the tv show. I must have missed it, but why did it take her ten years to become a lawyer? Does not compute. James Franco's cameo was by far the best thing about it. I also enjoyed the reference about That Mitchell and Webb Look, Bell's scene with her husband, and that moment of realization that Schmidt was in VM.

I think they were so keen to do the 'high school reunion' plot (and to be fair it is an obvious plot to want to use) that they ignored whether it really entirely made sense in terms of chronology. They may have avoided giving specific dates, but it felt like it was set in the present day even though I think her 10 year reunion should actually be in 2016. I'm not sure Veronica's career path really made sense in terms of characterisation either, I can't find a plausible that she's be trying to become a corporate lawyer (even if the film does give a potential reason that it'll make paying her students loan debt easier).

Overall I did like the movie, but it did struggle a bit to balance between the murder mystery part of the plot and throwing in as many references as possible to the TV series. I did generally enjoy those references but they could be a bit of a distraction, if they make a second film I think it could be a better if it was a bit more focused.

Season 1 is definitely the slowest to get going, but season 2 is my favourite (even though many don't like it that much). I hope you enjoy it. Seasons 3-4 are also really fast-paced and exciting, so the pace definitely picks up as the show goes on.

Breaking Bad season 3 is my personal fave. The finale is one of the most exciting season endings I've seen.

Binged on two Hulu original series -> Quick Draw & The Awesomes.

Liked them both. First is a Western comedy that involved some improv, the second is an animated comedy about a misfit team of superheroes.

In preparation for Boyhood (which I hopefully get to see) I decided to check out some of the directors previous work. I started with Dazed and Confused and I have to say that it's damn good. Certainly the best high school movie that I have ever seen (that includes the Breakfast club). Linklater really does have a talent for dialogue that is just so true to life.

EDIT: And what a cast! Seriously, it's almost ridiculous to see how many of the actors here went on to become A-listers or the level right beneath that

I am loving Hemlock Grove so much!!! Season 2 premiers tomorrow/today??? I have seen comments from people who hated it and I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea but I binge watched it in a couple of days - I think it's awesome!!

Hey Theda... we finally agree on something! hahahaha :)

Hey Theda... we finally agree on something! hahahaha :)

lol!

I'm glad someone else is enjoying this show tbh; I have about 4 eps of season 2 left to watch! It might have it's faults but it's also bringing so many awesome, new things to the table!

Just watched Captain Phillips for the first time. I quite enjoyed the first 2/3rds but I was out of steam by the time the final act came around.

All in all not a bad movie, just not amazing.

I have a DVD of 12 Years a slave waiting for me. I think I'll watch it before I go to bed.

Yay! Too bad you're both wrong :p

That show makes True Blood look like The Wire.

Well; I've never seen True blood so can't speak to the comparison; but for all its faults hemlock grove offers some really interesting themes and familial dynamics; some cool character concepts even if they're not fully realised and doesn't quite adhere completely to a lot of cliche's in the paranormal teen genre; I also like the idea of a murder mystery with supernatural teenage pseudo detectives.

Well; I've never seen True blood so can't speak to the comparison; but for all its faults hemlock grove offers some really interesting themes and familial dynamics; some cool character concepts even if they're not fully realised and doesn't quite adhere completely to a lot of cliche's in the paranormal teen genre; I also like the idea of a murder mystery with supernatural teenage pseudo detectives.

Final episode

wait until you see who the actual murderer is :lmao:

Final episode

wait until you see who the actual murderer is :lmao:

I've seen it. I'm on to season 2 now which is better in the murder mystery regard. I didn't think the reveal in s1 was bad or funny either; i think it was pretty sad; maybe because i related to the character in some ways, it also offered some neat folklore/mythos details which im also enjoying this show for.

I can now personally vouch for the brilliance of Pink Floyd The Wall. It really is an experience to watch this film. The music is of course mindblowingly good, the imagery is deeply disturbing, Geldoff gives a great performance, the animation is unsettling and the whole atmosphere of the movie is really powerful.

In preparation for Boyhood (which I hopefully get to see) I decided to check out some of the directors previous work. I started with Dazed and Confused and I have to say that it's damn good. Certainly the best high school movie that I have ever seen (that includes the Breakfast club). Linklater really does have a talent for dialogue that is just so true to life.

EDIT: And what a cast! Seriously, it's almost ridiculous to see how many of the actors here went on to become A-listers or the level right beneath that

I'm really looking forward to Boyhood. Even though it's early, the reviews are on a level I've never seen before..

I'm really looking forward to Boyhood. Even though it's early, the reviews are on a level I've never seen before..

Yup. Never seen a 100% on rotten tomatoes after 100+ reviews. Thoroughly looking forward to it.

Archived