George has released a NEW.......Paragraph!

The line from George in that vanity interview is rather difficult phrased by him.

He is saying Afcc + adwd should be 2 seasons and that he will finish WoW long before that ends.

Then that aDoS will be completed right at the end of the series. Give it 3 more seasons?

From that I reckon that WoW will be finished/released in 2015. And that George would like four more years after that for aDoS.

A pity since HBO said seven seasons and that's it.

So we will see WoW before end of the series and aDoS after the series.

This means I can finally start watching the TV series in 2020. :)

This shouldn't be surprising news to anyone who has viewed this stuff rationally - or who waited for AFFC/ADWD to be released. He was 25% done at this point last year, given his 2013 schedule it was literally impossible for him to be done by now. That being said, considering he hasn't had any major events since November of last year, it stands to reason he has made progress. I think it's likely that he's at or past the 50% mark by now.

He'll confirm our hopes or fears in a few days at the S4 premier, where he almost certainly be asked about his progress. If he says he's still 25% done then yes, we have a problem.

This shouldn't be surprising news to anyone who has viewed this stuff rationally - or who waited for AFFC/ADWD to be released. He was 25% done at this point last year, given his 2013 schedule it was literally impossible for him to be done by now. That being said, considering he hasn't had any major events since November of last year, it stands to reason he has made progress. I think it's likely that he's at or past the 50% mark by now.

He'll confirm our hopes or fears in a few days at the S4 premier, where he almost certainly be asked about his progress. If he says he's still 25% done then yes, we have a problem.

50% mark ? It's not really hopeful, it took him 2.5 years for reach that so we can predict a 2016 release date ?

No I want to believe he is ahead of that like 70% at least ! I think a publication in 2015 is the best bet (I think Season 5 will already start TWOW with one of the battles of Meereen or Winterfell). And yes the show will finish before him because they won't do 9 or 10 seasons apparently, I would love it and HBO too if it keeps the same hype/ratings/sales. Sadly, they can't predict it, it'll likely decrease and they have to plan the seasons now.

Someone asked how they will do a half season....I don't know if anyone watched sopranos but that's what they did to end that show. And what I meant by 1.5 seasons for adwd is that the first season will be all adwd/AFDC and the second season will be half adwd/ffc and half winds then a full season for winds and maybe another half season for winds after that then one and. A half seasons for ADOS you can't just expect this whole season coming up to be all SOS...atleast 1/3 of it will be ffc/DWD.

But I digress.

It's simple though no winds by this year no keeping up with the series

^ I can't help but thinking why would they spent such a solution of 1 and 1/2 season on books 4 and 5 and deny the same possibility to TWoW/ADoS which bear the cumulative narration, climaxes, resolutions...? The meat is in the books 6 and 7 ==>

A bit of a simplistic math, but give a 1.5 season to each of the remaining books, both published and not. Do we have 6 seasons in front of us? No.

The show can and will (that's what the adaptation all about) cut through the fat, single out the themes (artistic value) , give resolution to the characters we have been introduced to so far (the fan/vicarious value) and that's it. They say they can do it in 7 seasons.

From the GRRM Vanity fair interview http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/george-r-r-martin-interview :

The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast for Crowsand A Dance With Dragons. A Dance With Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms].

If GRRM is expecting 3 more seasons from AFFC + ADWD after season 4 and the showmakers are going for 7 or max 8 seasons total, I'm afraid we have some mismatch between expectations and GRRM seems to think/hope he has more time still than the showrunners are willing or able to give him...

From the GRRM Vanity fair interview http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/george-r-r-martin-interview :

If GRRM is expecting 3 more seasons from AFFC + ADWD after season 4 and the showmakers are going for 7 or max 8 seasons total, I'm afraid we have some mismatch between expectations and GRRM seems to think/hope he has more time still than the showrunners are willing or able to give him...

Miscommunication ?

They said they met and talked about the fate of all the characters. Didn't they approach the show's evolution too ? I find it hard to belive they didn't.

I wonder what Ran thinks about this situation....

Some Feast and Dance material is going to be in the upcoming 4th season.

With how little happens in Feast and Dance, I wouldn't be surprised if some of Winds ends up in the 5th season.

It would take a miracle for George to finish before the show.

Martin sounds completely out of the loop, not just in terms of season numbers but also scripts. I thought he read each season's scripts and was a part of the process. He no doubt knows S4 includes much of Theon's ADWD content, all of Bran's, and much of Brienne's. There won't be content left for three seasons of Feast Dance.

He's no doubt had these conversations with Benioff and Weiss. And as a tv guy Martin has to know Feadt Dance wouldn't work over three seasons, there's simply not enough engaging content. I love both books but it's more character driven with little action. And I doubt viewers swill tolerate three more seasons of Dany not being in Westeros.

The show will finish the series before Martin.

No, we're done with our part in the World of Ice and Fire app for iOS and Android.

Could you ask George to tell the fans something about the progress he's made regarding TWOW? I mean, if it's too little it can be disappointing, but not knowing anything about it is even worse. I'm fed up with having to search for news about it everyday...

He no doubt knows S4 includes much of Theon's ADWD content, all of Bran's, and much of Brienne's.

Just a little correction. S4 doesn't cover all of Bran's ADWD material, just the part until he reaches the cave. So S5 can easily cover his greenseer training.

Just a little correction. S4 doesn't cover all of Bran's ADWD material, just the part until he reaches the cave. So S5 can easily cover his greenseer training.

You do realize that was only one chapter in the book, lol

You do realize that was only one chapter in the book, lol

One long chapter which covers a lot of time... To keep Bran's timeline up with the timelines of the other POVs, they'll need to stretch that storyline throughout the season.

Compare the 19,5 Jon chapters that need to be covered before we reach the end of Dance, to the 3 Bran chapters that need to be covered in about the same amount of time, as an example

What this means for Bran, most likely, is that they either made an additional storyline for him, during which he travels to the cave, or that we´ll simply see less of him (present in 1 of every 2 episodes, for example).

In addition, perhaps some things that happened during Bran's travels in Storm will be placed here. I'm specifically thinking about Meera's story about the Tourney at Harrenhal, which would fit nicely with the introduction of Oberyn Martell, and the storyline involving Elia and Rhaegar that goes along with that.

One long chapter which covers a lot of time... To keep Bran's timeline up with the timelines of the other POVs, they'll need to stretch that storyline throughout the season.

Compare the 19,5 Jon chapters that need to be covered before we reach the end of Dance, to the 3 Bran chapters that need to be covered in about the same amount of time, as an example

What this means for Bran, is that they either made an additional storyline for him, during which he travels to the cave, or that we´ll simply see less of him (present in 1 of every 2 episodes, for example).

So either a filler story of Bran going to the cave or next to no Bran in season 5. I don't view either option as good

What this means for Bran, most likely, is that they either made an additional storyline for him, during which he travels to the cave, or that we´ll simply see less of him (present in 1 of every 2 episodes, for example).

In addition, perhaps some things that happened during Bran's travels in Storm will be placed here. I'm specifically thinking about Meera's story about the Tourney at Harrenhal, which would fit nicely with the introduction of Oberyn Martell, and the storyline involving Elia and Rhaegar that goes along with that.

But they've already cast Bloodraven and (at least) one CotF, so unless they just appear in a dream as it has been suggested, they're definitely going waist-deep into ADwD material.

Archived