Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

Hmm so reviews are trickling in for Titanfall. If metacritic is any indication, ratings aren't all that different from some of the CoD games. While the beta was great fun, the general consensus seems to be that the game is thin - you don't get too much for $60.

We'll see how it does sales-wise. But right now (just based on ratings) it doesn't seem to be the killer app that it was hyped up to be. Of course we won't know anything for sure until it hits the market. I know I'll be getting it tomorrow, because I don't mind paying $60 for a good online experience.

I've been watching some videos for it on Twitch. I can see how for an online-only game it may seem a bit unfinished. I mean, Battlefield has been doing 32 v 32 for years. However, I don't think that will hurt Titanfall. Its appeal is going to be mostly Team Deathmatch. The fact that you can't host your own lobby is a bummer, but I'm pretty sure Respawn is going to send out a free DLC to remedy that. I'm going to download Titanfall as soon as it's available. It looks like a mindless shooter, and that's something I've been in the mood for.

Well to me it's only unfinished in the sense of not having enough game modes. It was surprisingly stable when it came to performance on the beta. Obviously the real test will be surviving the full-on onslaught that the servers will experience in the next couple weeks. But compared to BF4 and Ghosts, it was very stable (the beta).

Hopefully expanded gameplay comes in the form of free DLC, but knowing EA I doubt that'll happen.

There's like 5 or 6 game modes, is that not enough these days?

Seriously. I think one of BF4's weaknesses is that it has a bunch of gamemodes. Drop everything but Conquest, Domination (or TDM, but both is redundant) and Obliteration and you've got a much better game. Hell, maybe drop Obliteration too, though it is a lot of fun when things all gel. Maaaaybe keep Air Superiority, but I don't think so.

I mean, in Titanfall, you've got "shoot men", "shoot men while maybe standing near points" and..."shoot men while everyone is in giant robots". What more do you want?

edit: Also, having fewer modes means you can focus more on balancing for those modes, and less time on making those mechanics better. Any time spent on BF4 Rush, for example, was basically wasted time in my mind.

I mean, Battlefield has been doing 32 v 32 for years.

*sigh* Stuck with 12 v 12 on 360. :frown5:

Seriously. I think one of BF4's weaknesses is that it has a bunch of gamemodes. Drop everything but Conquest, Domination (or TDM, but both is redundant) and Obliteration and you've got a much better game. Hell, maybe drop Obliteration too, though it is a lot of fun when things all gel. Maaaaybe keep Air Superiority, but I don't think so.

I mean, in Titanfall, you've got "shoot men", "shoot men while maybe standing near points" and..."shoot men while everyone is in giant robots". What more do you want?

edit: Also, having fewer modes means you can focus more on balancing for those modes, and less time on making those mechanics better. Any time spent on BF4 Rush, for example, was basically wasted time in my mind.

But I love Hardcore Rush... :(

Stannis,

If you love Battlefield, do yourself a favor and try to go PC or next-gen. You're robbing yourself by playing 360's limited maps and experience.

Yeah I know. I do get the feeling I'm playing a game my 360 shouldn't be running. It's frozen more times than Skyrim already.

Upgrading costs money though.

Hmm so reviews are trickling in for Titanfall. If metacritic is any indication, ratings aren't all that different from some of the CoD games. While the beta was great fun, the general consensus seems to be that the game is thin - you don't get too much for $60.

We'll see how it does sales-wise. But right now (just based on ratings) it doesn't seem to be the killer app that it was hyped up to be. Of course we won't know anything for sure until it hits the market. I know I'll be getting it tomorrow, because I don't mind paying $60 for a good online experience.

28 reviews on Meta so far with a metascore of 87, it should get over 75 reviews when all's done and dusted. It seems a bit premature to give a review score for an online MP only game before the launch date. But then again, if the reviewers all got to play online together then as it's only 6v 6 they probably got a reasonable chance to play all the game modes.

Anyway with only 1/3 or less of the reviews in the metascore could do anything: up, down or stay the same.

It's MS's flagship game now that the launch exclusives largely underwhelmed (as did PS4's), at least for the next few months. If the score holds steady on 87 then that should mean the game is good for a decent level of sales. Despite a lot of people saying the game review system is rubbish a lot of industry analysts reckon the metascore for a game does affect sales. If TF ends up in the 90's then that will not only drive game sales, but probably help Xb one sales, moreso than having a meta score just 3 or 4 points lower. Seems like a trivial thing 87 vs 90 but it does seem to make a difference having that 9 as the front number.

Yeah I know. I do get the feeling I'm playing a game my 360 shouldn't be running. It's frozen more times than Skyrim already.

Upgrading costs money though.

The cheapest upgrade would probably be a PC running the minimum specs for BF4. Next cheapest probably PS4.

Well given what the game is, I think 5-6 is fine. It's just for $60 I would've expected more stuff from an multiplayer-only shooter. I have the same gripes with BF and CoD, although those games have a SP mode.

If you have that issue with the other major franchises, it's not really a TF specific thing.

There's always a balance between having enough game modes and diluting your player pool anyway. I think like 6 or so solid, different modes is a pretty good number.

If you have that issue with the other major franchises, it's not really a TF specific thing.

There's always a balance between having enough game modes and diluting your player pool anyway. I think like 6 or so solid, different modes is a pretty good number.

That's a fair point. I did really like the beta, which is why I'm buying the game. It's just that I wonder about the longevity of this game, unless of course there'll be a quick arrival of a sequel/major DLC. I'll of course be playing it regularly for the foreseeable future, but I wonder if it'll get old quickly.

People still play CS in it's latest iteration, which is largely unchanged since 2000, I don't think shooters have quite the same need for game updates and content that other games do. I also don't view the 6v6 as a limitation or anything, it's a design decision exactly the same as 5v5 is for DOTA/LoL/HoN etc.

Rush was my favorite game mode in Bad Company 2, which is the BF game I played the most of by far. Did they fuck it up in 4 or are you just not a fan of the mode in general?

Little of both. It was my favorite game mode in BC2, too, mostly because the maps were designed around it and the conquest maps merged in later. In BF3, it was really clear which maps were designed as Conquest maps and which were Rush maps, but you could always play both. Damavand and Metro are really good maps: on 32p Rush. On Conquest they're just asinine. In BF4, the only maps which look like they even gave the barest thought to Rush are Locker and Flood Zone, and they're the best Rush maps for that reason. Locker features a really bad first point, but after that, its pretty good (but I still think it was a CQ map first, but it happened to port well to Rush). The same with Flood Zone, though all the points are decent. BC2's Rush did feature some problems: I loathed the huge, open armor-push starts because a single dart pistol and your whole push is down, plus DICE decided it was a good idea to (usually) give the defenders equal armor. On the other hand, if you did break through that first point, you often got some really, really fun matches going. Still, BC2's whole thing was Rush. The playercount, the maps, the design, everything about it was to make Rush better. And that's why BC2's Rush was some of the best Rush there was. BF3 had some good Rush and some awful Rush (usually inversely proportional to the quality of Conquest on the same map) while BF4 focused more on CQ (I think, anyhow) and so Rush is a weird afterthought most of the time. Better to not do it at all than to do a sloppy job on it, in my opinion, especially when that sloppy job is taking time away from other things.

If you really need that Rush feel, there's the Naval expansion where they basically recreate Titan mode (which was basically proto-Rush, incidentally). BF2142 was the opposite of BC2 in map flavor. Titan mode felt really disconnected from the rest of the game and, while interesting, was never as good as Conquest. Maps designed around the mode should help a lot with that.

People still play CS in it's latest iteration, which is largely unchanged since 2000, I don't think shooters have quite the same need for game updates and content that other games do. I also don't view the 6v6 as a limitation or anything, it's a design decision exactly the same as 5v5 is for DOTA/LoL/HoN etc.

I don't see it as a limitation at all either. 32 v 32 in BF4 can make it feel a little impersonal, despite all the mayhem. I prefer smaller teams, mostly because the last 2 shooters (besides BF4) that I played were Halo 4 and MW2, so that's what I'm used to.

I'm just genuinely wondering if the apparent limited variety will affect the longevity of the game. CS was a big leap for gaming, so I can see why it would have a large user base. Titanfall seems like more of a step forward.

The cheapest upgrade would probably be a PC running the minimum specs for BF4. Next cheapest probably PS4.

Not any more. The 750ti has been a bit of a game-changer (on price). At not much over $100 or £100, it really adds a massive punch to any gaming system. As soon as I can afford it, I'm certainly upgrading (and maybe the 760ti should be out by then).

Archived