Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

I've never not been nuked by Gandhi if he's in my game :angry:

You're doing it wrong. :P

That said, I have not played a single game where a. China has been in it and b. they have not declared war on me. Bastards.

The ending scene for Portal 2 is one of the best endings I've ever sat through. Really topped off a good couple of games.

Oh glad to hear it. I really enjoyed the ending of the first game where

the Black Forest Gateau sat there alone with a candle in the basement

so quite looking forward to this one.

My SO does find it very disconcerting when I randomly speak to him in GLaDOS voice though, for some reason. Maybe he needs more cake. Or grief counseling.

You're doing it wrong. :P

I do generally do it wrong when it comes to Civ. Every time Genghis wants to be friends I think "You know what? Maybe this time he won't stab me in the back."

He does. He always does.

I do generally do it wrong when it comes to Civ. Every time Genghis wants to be friends I think "You know what? Maybe this time he won't stab me in the back."

He does. He always does.

I don't think I've ever had a game where one of the other AIs didn't wipe Gandhi out themselves at the first opportunity. So I haven't really been able to enjoy the experience of a Gandhi-nuking.

Now, Napoleon? He's a right little shit. And don't get me started on Montezuma, but I think we've all been there.

I don't think I've ever developed a proper nemesis in any of the Civ games. I generally assume that everyone is going to turn on me sooner or later (and usually it's sooner).

All this talk of nuclear Gandhi reminds me of my very first game of Civilization (no roman numeral) when at later stages other civilisations started threatening me with nukes (in hilariously truncated German, as the tranlators were obviously extremely lazy) and I desperately wanted to point out to them that I had the bomb, too, so we really should be operating under the principle of MAD and try to work out our differences. Sadly, diplomacy in that game was not particularly robust.

My SO does find it very disconcerting when I randomly speak to him in GLaDOS voice though, for some reason. Maybe he needs more cake. Or grief counseling.

He's probably just worried you'll ask him to help you with some science you need to do.

I think I might be the last person in the world to finally realise the greatness that is Portal. Somehow I have avoided getting my hands on it through the various HL and HL2 titles I have, no idea why. Luckily, I have no remedied that and GLaDOS and I are fast friends. I eagerly await my cake and grief counseling.

:O I'm afraid you're about to become the immediate past president of the Being Alive Club (haha).

Well in the wake of the dovetailing loonie (now sitting at a $0.90 USD conversion rate), the ps4 gets a $50 price hike in Canada. Games are now $70. It's not like I can't afford it, but $70 for a game is just way too much. I'll hold off for sales or hopefully the rise of the canadian dollar.

Even then it took everyone a very long time to adjust prices when the loonie reached parity with the USD. Just a shitty situation right now.

Well in the wake of the dovetailing loonie (now sitting at a $0.90 USD conversion rate), the ps4 gets a $50 price hike in Canada. Games are now $70. It's not like I can't afford it, but $70 for a game is just way too much. I'll hold off for sales or hopefully the rise of the canadian dollar.

Even then it took everyone a very long time to adjust prices when the loonie reached parity with the USD. Just a shitty situation right now.

And the loonie will shoot back up soon enough and prices won't change back.

Sony is just trying to fuck us because they think they can get away with it.

Well given how they're selling, Sony can get away with it for now. Wii U and Xbox one prices havent changed AFAIK, because they really can't afford to do so.

The old, arrogant Sony is starting to show itself again...

I have no clue if Steam has changed, because even on checkout it says USD. I should really look at my CC bill.

Given at the original price PS4 was cheaper in Canada than ANYWHERE else in the world bar none in US dollar equivalents, I'd say you're far from being fucked by Sony for a measly $50 price hike. You're still cheaper than everywhere else in the world except the USA.

It's so tiresome reading complaints by people in countries that are actually getting the best deal in the world, just because it's slightly less best than it was before. The world is subsidising the US and CA prices.

Sony is also in the financial pooh. So they can hardly be throwing away revenue from exchange rate fluctuations. For most markets Sony has probably used their inflated prices (relative to the USA) as a hedge against exchange rates going against them (not quite sure why the Japan price is higher than the USA, but I guess they do that because they can). In the USA they can't really afford to do that hedging, because MS doesn't have to worry about exchange rates in its biggest market. And because of border hopping Sony generally has to keep CA close to USA even though tehre's exchange rate fluctuations. So I would think CA prices will be more fluid than anywhere else. If the exchange rate goes the other way and Sony sees a significant decrease in CA sales they will probably figure there's border hopping going on and they will bring the price down again until that price incentive for border hopping goes away.

I just read that Titanfall gave Xb one a 96% boost in the UK. That's pretty good for a non-exclusive title, but at the same time it means the boost isn't likely to be sustained beyond 1 week, which is also pretty much expected for a non-exclusive game. At the same time apparently PS4 got a 72% boost just by having more units available for in stores. PS4 and inFamous Second Son's will be mine in 3 days. I was considering getting tomb raider for PS4, but it's "free" fpr PS3 on PSN+ right now, and I will be signing up for PSN+ so I figure I might as well take the opportunity to get TR for nix (effectively) rather than pay launch price for it on PS4.

Nah nah na. I'm not listening because I'm waiting for the PC release of DS2 before I read these threads again. Just wanted to say I finished my SL1 run of Darksouls today after a bit over 700 deaths and I'm feeling chipper. The two battles I had the toughest time with were Artorias (dodge to the right, but never dodge back) and Gwyn (dodge back except for his leaping attack, where it's time to dodge and then great combustion him.) I did skip Kalameet, since once I killed the lizard and grabbed the slab, what was the point?

Though be careful, that darksoulsdeath.com or whatever it was from a thread or so ago starts to give you nasty messages about your save game and can cause you to lose progress. I somehow got through it only missing one session of farming after reaching the Kiln, but it could be super annoying if you checked your progress on that site after a tough boss battle.

He does. He always does.

Well, he was the only one who never attacked me in one of my last games - where I went for the mega-huge single city option. I feared he would, but he was one of the farthest civs, and had plenty to do with all the bullies around. Still became one of the biggest in military and land.

On the other hand, civs who had the bad idea to put another city on my island eventually had the bad idea to attack me - because common border -, and got that city wiped out.

So...the folks at Eurogamer have beaten MGSV Ground Zeroes in about 10 minutes. This game supposedly costs £30...

Yeah as much as I'd love new Metal Gear, it's hard to see Ground Zeroes as anything other than a demo you have to buy.

So apparently the Star Citizen has an alpha for pledges, but as I understand it, you can only walk around the hangar?

Right now yes. You can also get in and out of your spaceship and make rocket noises if you really want.

The combat alpha, so you can actually go out and blow some shit up, is supposed to be arriving in the next few weeks. But Elite: Dangerous's alpha and rapid progress is showing Star Citizen (which has more than 10 times the budget) up a bit at the moment.

Right now yes. You can also get in and out of your spaceship and make rocket noises if you really want.

:lol:

The premier space sim.

I am looking forward to the final product though, if they can deliver on everything they've talked about it should be pretty amazing.

Heh I've tried that all day. Maybe I should try a different way to get away from the game...after the next turn of course.

Goddamnit, and now you've inspired me to reinstall civ 5 >.<

what month is it again?

Archived