Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

Well in the wake of the dovetailing loonie (now sitting at a $0.90 USD conversion rate), the ps4 gets a $50 price hike in Canada. Games are now $70. It's not like I can't afford it, but $70 for a game is just way too much. I'll hold off for sales or hopefully the rise of the canadian dollar.

Even then it took everyone a very long time to adjust prices when the loonie reached parity with the USD. Just a shitty situation right now.

And the loonie will shoot back up soon enough and prices won't change back.

Sony is just trying to fuck us because they think they can get away with it.

'Loonie'? What kind of place must your country be to refer to legal tender as a 'loonie'?

Why, Canada? WHY DO WE LET YOU EXIST!?!

:P

I bought Titanfall over the weekend and am rather disappointed. Matches arent long enough, no "All-ready" button in the lobby, so you end up waiting 90seconds to play a 5-7 minute match. Its been said its a perfect game for 5760x1080 gaming, but the design in the actual cockpit on those resolutions is disgusting. Thank fuck I proxied into Origin Mexico and picked it up for a steal.

Upgraded my 480s to a 780 ti and seen my fps more than double, almost triple and the difference is noise the card makes is amazing. Other than that I've been sucked into League of Legends.

I'm really conflicted about doing the Star Citizen Alpha. I dont want to ruin the "new game/world" wonder of playing it for the first time, but I also want to get some practice in to better relieve fat merchants of all their goods.

Kotaku has just released new information and screenshots of the new Assassin's Creed game(s). Looks to be set during the French Revolution. I've been hoping for Feudal Japan for a while. I suppose there's always next year.

I'm so down with the French Revolution as a setting. Pretty sure Ubisoft said at one point that Japan/China weren't being considered as possible locations because ninjas are too cliche or something like that, and that's the way it would end up going. I would still kill for an Sengoku period Assassin's Creed though. Would make sense, first contact with Westerners and all during that time. Assassins and Templars could have come over then. Constant internal warfare.

Or a Three Kingdoms setting, but then that's pretty overdone.

For anyone into e-sports (or if you aren't but are interested in/curious about it) Valve just released a free documentary via Steam called Free To Play that I recommend watching. It focuses on three Dota 2 players and their experience specifically with playing in The International 1, but from what I've watched so far it seems like a good representation of the growth of e-sports in general. It's just over an hour long so if you've got some spare time, check it out.

ETA: After watching more of it I have to retract my statement about it being a good documentary about e-sports in general, they talk about it in general terms briefly in the beginning but then it focuses 100% on the three individual players and the specific tournament.

I should really get around to playing AC1. It's been on my 'to-play' list longer than just about any other game, and I've had it for fricking years.

If you liked the other games at all, you should definitely play the original. It's a gorgeous looking game, considering it came out in 2007, and the plot just might be the best in the series, with it's moral ambiguity, lack of space deities and badass playable character.

Don't do it! It's bad!

No it's not. It's probably the best game in the series after Black Flag. And the story actually makes sense, unlike the Ezio trilogy and Assassin's Creed III.

Kotaku has just released new information and screenshots of the new Assassin's Creed game(s). Looks to be set during the French Revolution. I've been hoping for Feudal Japan for a while. I suppose there's always next year.

I'm curious to see what they'll add to make the game more appealing to people who disliked Assassin's Creed III. The naval gameplay in Black Flag is what rejuvenated the series in a lot of people's eyes, so I'm really interested in what they'll do without it. Cause, you know, there weren't that many pirates in Revolutionary France. It doesn't really matter to me, honestly. I'll play it either way. The little things they add every year are more than enough for me.

I'm also really excited for the official announcement(s). I really shouldn't get my hopes up, but I would love it if Unity and Comet are two completely different entries in the series, because one Assassin's story per year isn't enough for me

Like I said, I haven't liked any AC games. I played 1 and 2 and hated them both. I thought the controls were clunky and my character didn't move in ways that I thought felt natural and the environments didn't lend themselves to the kind of seamless, smooth travel they were clearly going for. They were also paced slowly and I got very bored.

I got Black Flag for free with my video card, so I sucked it up and installed uPlay to try it. It feels better to me than the others but I sometimes have trouble figuring out where to go because of the environment design, which is also a problem I had with AC2. I haven't played much though -- not much past commandeering a ship. I do intend to go back to it sometime but between Titanfall and Dark Souls it will likely be quite a while.

Archived