Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

Wait, i'm trying to understand this:

OnLive will let me play games on my iMac that it's not clocked/built/spec'd for?

Yep.

Again, this is the future I talked about that people thought wasn't coming in the next 15 years. It's already here. It's not here in a fully realized state, but at PAX you could play various things like Arkham Knights on a cellphone thanks to NViDIA's service. You will be able to play PS3 games on the PS4 using this. You'll be able to play Halo4 on a phone (and this was demoed too). The notion that you need some kind of platform to play things on is quickly coming to an end.

Just finished the new episode of The Walking Dead. No spoilers, just one comment:

It'll win GOTY again this year. That is all, carry on.

:cool4:

Zombies are overused and I despise them... yet Traveller's TWD redeems the whole concept. Partially.

Also Killing Floor/L4D Co-op is great fun. Have a few high school friends I play with.

I'm really really excited for Rajas of India. Hoping that future expansions take CK2 into the early renaissance (HYW, War of the Roses, the Italian Wars, Habsburgs, Ottomans, Tamerlane....) and to China/SEA Asia, so we can play the Mongols from the beginning.

As good as X-Com is, I sincerely can't play it as much as before without an update to the Long War mod. Some games just need mods, i.e. anything by Paradox or Bethesda.

I'm really really excited for Rajas of India. Hoping that future expansions take CK2 into the early renaissance (HYW, War of the Roses, the Italian Wars, Habsburgs, Ottomans, Tamerlane....) and to China/SEA Asia, so we can play the Mongols from the beginning.

You should play Europa Universalis IV.

Another grand-strategy game by Paradox, and in my opinion, it's quite a lot better than Crusader Kings II. Just like their other games, the learning curve is tough, but when you get the hang of it, you'll sink countless hours into it.

Actually, CK2 covers the 100-years war, the beginnings of the Ottomans and Tamerlane, since it's supposed to stop in 1453.

Thing is, the last starting date is 1337, so when the 100-years war begins; they should include some later date - and possibly push back the end date to 1485 (rise of the Tudors) or 1492 (end of the Reconquista).

When it comes to reviews for games or whatever, I personally never care about the "score" or grade or anything. Basically I like to check out Totalbiscuit's WTF of the game(if he has one) then I'll watch a couple of videos from a lets play and decide if its something I am interested in or not. Usually if TB seems to be enjoying the game, I know I usually will.

Picked up the South Park game yesterday and, damn, I'm loving it.

Its like I'm playing an episode with all its humor, weirdness and just flat out all around craziness. It is filled with references and loot from the series. The combat is actually very enjoyable. Its turn based, but with enough button mashing/timing aspects that it keeps you focused more than a final fantasy game(for example).

I will say, though, if you don't like South Park, don't buy this game(which seems obvious), because most likely you won't like it.

I'm working on a SL1 run in Darksouls right now. Been having a bitch of a time with Artorias. (And probably will skip Kalameet entirely, btw) He was whipping me while I was only getting a couple of hits in total. Picked up the Dark Wood Grain Ring and that seems to help a lot, I can get him down to about half health, half the time. What's the best approach? Seems like going Pyro with Dusk Crown and Bellowing Ring will get the job done faster than beating him with my +5 lightning reinforced club. At this point I pretty much have all of the non Artorias of the Abyss expansion up to +5/+14.

Got so frustrated I decided to clean out the Catacombs. I did a fast run through there earlier on to pick up Rite of Kindling. On my second trip through, I managed to one shot the Black Knight with a two handed plunge attack, which might be the highlight of my run so far, and he dropped a Black Knight Great Axe to boot.

I'm actually going down to buy "Stick of Truth" shortly. I'm glad to see that everyone seems to be enjoying it. I trust the opinions of people that actually purchase the game over so called critics far more.

Yep.

Again, this is the future I talked about that people thought wasn't coming in the next 15 years. It's already here. It's not here in a fully realized state, but at PAX you could play various things like Arkham Knights on a cellphone thanks to NViDIA's service. You will be able to play PS3 games on the PS4 using this. You'll be able to play Halo4 on a phone (and this was demoed too). The notion that you need some kind of platform to play things on is quickly coming to an end.

All true. I used OnLive in 2011 and played and completed Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Space Marine from start to finish on the service. It worked brilliantly on my old PC, which couldn't handle either game with specs on full.

The biggest problem with streaming services remains the USA's shitty broadband infrastructure. If more can be done to overcome that, this is indeed the future. PS4/XB1 (or, at the latest, their successors) could even be the last traditional consoles. Future ones will be cheap boxes sitting under the TV to stream stuff, and of course this is also where Valve is headed.

Amy Hennig, creative director of the Uncharted series, has left Naughty Dog

Naughty Dog say this will not affect development of the series. Bruce Staley and Neil Druckmann will apparently be taking over for UC4. The two of them were in charge of The Last of Us and worked with Hennig on UC2, which in my opinion was the best game of the series so I'm pretty hopeful that UC4 will be pretty damn awesome.

I just hope the rumours of an acrimonious departure aren't true. Still, leaving part way through UC4 sin't a good indicator of an amicable parting of the ways.

PleaseMakeALegacyOfKainGame

Yes, yes, yes.

But that talk of a F2P multiplayer thing is a worry. Though I can't see Amy Hennig doing that. She likes telling a story so perhaps they recruited her to come back and do a proper game, not this F2P thing.

Yep.

Yep the age of the console is more or less over. And the interesting thing is Sony is contributing to the demise of the console by creating PS Now. Perhaps despite PS4 selling gangbusters right now Sony has recognised the console model doesn't have a long term future.

Also, started playing Red Dead Redemption, it's all right but it's not really grabbing me. Spent plenty of hours mucking around as the main story doesn't really interest me much. I've got to to point where I'm to meet up with Irish for the first time, so not far through the story. But I haven't really felt motivated to play the game again. A pity really, I thought I'd really like it as a game.

And the interesting thing is Sony is contributing to the demise of the console by creating PS Now. Perhaps despite PS4 selling gangbusters right now Sony has recognised the console model doesn't have a long term future.

They didn't create PS Now, they bought up Gaikai (a rival service to OnLive) and rebranded it, though that in itself was a very smart move from Sony.

Sony seem to be getting some vision back. 10-12 years ago Sony believed that they were kings of the world and everyone would buy anything with a Sony label on it, so they did not need to innovate. They lost out on mobile music to Apple, on TVs and hifis to Samsung and on game consoles to Nintendo and almost Microsoft. Their long-term future has been in doubt for some time now, but in the last couple of years they seem to have made some smarter decisions, and none smarter than buying Gaikai and marketing the PS4 to perfection. They haven't won the race, but they needed to be ahead at this early stage and that's where they are.

Going back to my PS3 "Noobtastic Six Years Late Mass Effect Playthrough Experience" I am at the end of the first ME game now. I fought Saren and in the middle of the fight, he fell... got stuck in a wall... and just stayed there. It was late and I could hear my son walking around upstairs, so I turned the machine off and went to bed.

After doing a little Google Fu, I find that this (or a version of it) is a very common bug. Most of the message board commentary on it I came across was from over a year ago, but it would appear EA has not fixed it. :tantrum:

The only work around would seem to be to use no Biotics/Techs in the final fight and to just gun him down. :rolleyes: That's doable I suppose. But I have not read if I need to turn off my squad's automatic skill usage or not. :dunno:

Now I'm turning my attention towards what I should do to prepare a file to upload to ME2. I like my paragon male soldier Shep, but was wanting to try out a pissy renegade femShep adept. Am I correct in assuming that it is the specific charater and not the profile that is uploaded? My soldier shep is level 50, if I wanted to play a new game+ and have a higher level import file with the soldier; I would need to replay him entirely?

That doesn't necessarily appeal to me... so what advantages would I have by having a higher level import? Does it transfer straight over, or does it drop my level down like some games?

IIRC, you return to Level 1 in ME 2, but then your level stays the same from 2 to 3. Here's the full list:

• A portion of the character's Paragon/Renegade points (up to 190 each, which requires the bar(s) to be 50% full) are transferred over.
  • Importing a level 1 through level 49 character will grant 1,000 XP (the player starts at level 2), 20,000 credits, and 2,500 of each resource.
  • Importing a level 50 through level 59 character will grant 2,000 XP (the player starts at level 3), 30,000 credits, and 5,000 of each resource.
  • Importing a level 60 character will grant 4,000 XP (the player starts at level 5), 50,000 credits, and 10,000 of each resource.
  • Having the "Rich" achievement from Mass Effect will grant an additional 100,000 credits.
  • The import bonuses will stack with the Mass Effect 2 completion starting bonuses (200,000 credits and 50,000 of each resource).

You import the character. Any save file that is flagged as having finish the game can be imported and it will bring over all your choices and your name, sex and background to the next game. It's not the acconut, but the specific save with the specific choices you made and such. (note, class can be changed between games so you can run multiple new characters of different classes off one save)

If you want to do New Game+ and import a higher level character to ME2 you have to replay the whole game to the end again. Same if you want a different character with different choices.

Higher level characters start you off with more XP and more money in ME2. It's nice to have but it's not critical. If you are a completionist, you will almost certainly max out both cash and levels even without the import bonus.

Good to know.

As I said, pretty bummed I couldn't finish the other night... But glad I had time to research the issue rather than play it over and over just to find out it wasn't working.

Actually, CK2 covers the 100-years war, the beginnings of the Ottomans and Tamerlane, since it's supposed to stop in 1453.

Thing is, the last starting date is 1337, so when the 100-years war begins; they should include some later date - and possibly push back the end date to 1485 (rise of the Tudors) or 1492 (end of the Reconquista).

Except that EU4 starts in 1444 (EU3 started in 1453, so when CK came out it slotted in perfectly) that period is coevered by the EU series, not CK.

They might expand it geographically, or possibly backtrack even longer before ToG (although research is all but impossible even at that point) but they already cover the renaissance period.

You should play Europa Universalis IV.

Another grand-strategy game by Paradox, and in my opinion, it's quite a lot better than Crusader Kings II. Just like their other games, the learning curve is tough, but when you get the hang of it, you'll sink countless hours into it.

I've played EU4. It's fun, but not as great as CK2, mainly because there really isn't much to do in peacetime other than prepare for the next war...

Sort of. It doesn't have any start dates (which means no historical characters), though there is a scripted Timurid invasion.

I'd push the date back to 1517- the year of Magellan's voyage and the Protestant reformation.

Except that EU4 starts in 1444 (EU3 started in 1453, so when CK came out it slotted in perfectly) that period is coevered by the EU series, not CK.

They might expand it geographically, or possibly backtrack even longer before ToG (although research is all but impossible even at that point) but they already cover the renaissance period.

Why go back further? At that point you're doing a "fall of the Roman Empire" or Rise of Islam thing.

Dark Souls II PC version confirmed for an April 25th release on the Dark Souls Facebook page.

Also available to preorder on Steam now. Damn, I was hoping it'd be sooner. Oh well.

49.99 on Steam in NA right now, btw. Might as well wait until closer to see if anyone like GMG has a discount.

Archived