Walking Dead Season 5 (No Comic Spoilers)

Howdyphillip

That killing trough was motherfuckin' gnarly, man. That was pretty brutal to watch and I'm not really that squeamish about blood and gore. Great episode, though. So damn good. I wish the whole season was out so I could call in sick and binge watch the whole damn thing.

My wife said the same thing.

Anybody watching Walking dead has a tolerance of blood/guts, but the baseball bat to the head and then the cutting the throat open was brutal.

Speaking of losing characters... I am predicting right now that the show kills off Rick long before the end. I wouldn't bet on this season, but I don't think he has the plot armor of a normal lead in a normal show.

Hm, wouldn't be so sure about that. I think it depends on Carl's story and how it plays out. If we see more and more signs of him becoming a leader, then yes, Rick's clock is ticking.

The 1 character i can't see this show killing, is Darryl. He's just too damn popular right now.

There is one thing about Terminus that bothers me. Originally they were nice people and it was a sanctuary. Then the bad guys came in and started raping so they decided that they would be the butchers instead of the cattle. I get that. However what flipped the switch for them to start eating people? I could see bringing people in and making them slaves, or killing them and taking their stuff, but eating them? I feel like there has been plenty of people who have been viciously raped in this world and although they suffer mental trauma I've never heard of it turning them into a cannable.

There is one thing about Terminus that bothers me. Originally they were nice people and it was a sanctuary. Then the bad guys came in and started raping so they decided that they would be the butchers instead of the cattle. I get that. However what flipped the switch for them to start eating people? I could see bringing people in and making them slaves, or killing them and taking their stuff, but eating them? I feel like there has been plenty of people who have been viciously raped in this world and although they suffer mental trauma I've never heard of it turning them into a cannable.

Probably revenge eating

Some topics for speculation/dissemination:

1) I love that someone finally called out Eugene to expand on his supposed "cure". So far nothing about him or his absurd "its classified" protestations have inspired the least bit of confidence in me, and its actually kind of bothered me that anyone on the show has taken any of it the least bit seriously. And, while I guess I am somewhat mollified by his explanation, I'm still not entirely clear about exactly what he thinks he's going to be able to do if he gets to Washington. Is there supposed to be some sort of fully equipped lab there? Is he qualified/capable of whatever sort of biological manipulations will be necessary to create this hypothetical cure? Does he have a plan for global distribution?

In any case, I definitely have the sense that The Group will be heading off to Washington to effect Eugene's "cure", whatever it is. Not because I'm sold on the plausibility issue, but because I recognize that the writers have gone to the trouble of bringing the two groups together and I don't see Eugene going anywhere but DC.

2) Now that Daryl has given the group a bit more information about Beth's fate beyond. "she's just gone," is that going to be their new objective, or can they just write her off? Or can they afford to split up the group with the goal of meeting up in Washington? A description of the car isn't much to go on, and they can't expect to just start combing the countryside for her, but she's part of the group/Maggie's sister/etc etc…

3) I think its great that we'll be seeing Morgan again soon, and I like the way the show is leading him to the group. That he would be following signs to Terminus only to be redirected by Rick's warnings and trail markers is both simple and plausible. However, the fact that Rick didn't follow through on killing everyone at Terminus seems like exactly the sort of thing that will bite them in the ass down the clearly marked road.

Legitimate food source, maybe? Maybe they're stockpiling people jerky for the hard winter ahead.

Hm, wouldn't be so sure about that. I think it depends on Carl's story and how it plays out. If we see more and more signs of him becoming a leader, then yes, Rick's clock is ticking.

The 1 character i can't see this show killing, is Darryl. He's just too damn popular right now.

I could see them possibly killing off Rick, but I hope they don't. If there is a main character, it's Rick, and I'd personally hate to see him not be in the story. Agreed on Darryl, he's a fan favorite and I think they'll keep him around.

Great episode, after a very long wait!

To me the yuppie-hipster (I like that description from earlier up the thread) Gareth is a far more hateful villain than the Governor was, or any other villain up to now. There is just something about him that begs for Rick's machete between his eyes.

Looking forward to next week.

I think the bad guys either took all their food or it was destroyed in the fight to take back Terminus. They were still too broken or scared to go foraging to rebuild their supplies, so they were using the supplies they took from the people they were luring in, but it wasn't enough and they were starting to starve, then Mary or someone else realized there was one more way they could use these people they were robbing.

Alternatively,the bad guys may have been the ones that introduced cannibalism to Terminus and were eating the original Termites, and Garreth literally meant becoming the butchers rather than the cattle.

Hm...i've been thinking about Beth being kidnapped in a car, and last night's episode they had a car on camera like 3-4 times and even had the guy mention it to Tyrese.

I'll have to go re-watch those scenes and see if it was the same one, eventually.

Loved the episode. It was a full on action blast from start to finish. And Tyrese kicking in the door after taking out the walkers unarmed was all kind of awesome.

I do have a couple of nitpicks, though. And it's nothing that concerns me any, but made me chuckle a little and comment on them at the time.

1. Carol sees Rick being tied up on the ground. And about 15 seconds later she's blowing up the gas tank to create a distraction. But when we saw the goings on inside, I'd say 5 minutes must have passed at a bare minimum - and realistically 10 or more.

2. Speaking of the distraction... that was one hell of a shot from Carol with the rocket. :D

As I said, though - I don't really care and I loved the episode. :)

A great opening for the season. The bottle rocket trick was rather far fetched, but I guess you can argue that as long as its trajectory is low enough and headed towards the tank it only needs to fly through an airspace with enough gas to spark an ignition and voila. Though in a situation like that you probably wouldn't get an explosion you'd just get a jet of flames until the pressure in the tank dropped enough for the heat to melt the tank some and create a bigger hole. And actually that would have synchronised better from a timing perspectiv with the goings on at the slaughter trough.

I guess I wasn't too grossed out by the slaughterhouse scene because, well, at least they were slaughtering humanely by stunning them before cutting their throats.

Pretty sure on trailers for the season there was a snippet of conversation between Rick and the lead cannibal dude that did not happen in the first episode. So I am expecting them to cross paths again in a few episode's time. It's going to be weird and frustrating watching this at a rate of one episode per week. I marathoned the first 4 seasons with the space of a few weeks, and now this is going to stretch over several months.

Beth must turn up at some point. You don't just have people disappear like that, unless the plan for her reappearance gets turned on its head because the actor decides not to continue with the show.

Yeah. Watching a show at a rate of one episode per week simply is not as satisfying as a marathon viewing of an entire season over a weekend.

I find myself watching the clock every 5 minutes, desperate for as much content as possible to be left before the hour is up.

It got me wondering whether shows are ever going to advance to airing two episodes per week. Who came up with the 1 episode per week model in the first place? And why is that preferable to a 2 episode per week concept?

Yeah. Watching a show at a rate of one episode per week simply is not as satisfying as a marathon viewing of an entire season over a weekend.

I find myself watching the clock every 5 minutes, desperate for as much content as possible to be left before the hour is up.

It got me wondering whether shows are ever going to advance to airing two episodes per week. Who came up with the 1 episode per week model in the first place? And why is that preferable to a 2 episode per week concept?

I have no idea, but my best guess would be advertisers? The more a season drags out, the more times you tune in to watch, the more money that network can get from advertising - especially if the show is popular.

I suppose that doesn't explain HBO, but at least HBO shows are a full 30 or 60 min of content since the run-time of the episode doesn;t build in commercial time.

Yes but if you have twice as many episodes, there is twice as much airtime in which to advertise every week. So twice as much money to be made.

It would all depend on the popularity of the show, and whether it is able to draw in consistently high viewership numbers twice a week. Which I think Walking Dead would easily do.

I also think it's strange that so many people would agree to resort to cannibalism just because the leader says so. Yes, you're either the butcher or the cattle, but to actually eat human meat sounds far fetched. Even though, I just loved it. I think it makes sense for a show about human-eating zombies having antagonists who are human-eating people.

And I personally think that this episode was the best of The Walking Dead. It had it all and it was awesome. It had an amazing pay-off, an interesting cliffhanger, some really emotional moments (I just broke at the reunion), shockingly violent scenes, good action and it had my attention stuck to the show in a way that I wasn't since season 1. I'm very, very excited for this season.

Yes but if you have twice as many episodes, there is twice as much airtime in which to advertise every week. So twice as much money to be made.

It would all depend on the popularity of the show, and whether it is able to draw in consistently high viewership numbers twice a week. Which I think Walking Dead would easily do.

think "Who wants to be a Millionaire" It was the biggest thing on TV, and It started airing 2 and 3 times a week, and burned itself out.

The premiere was awesome. .

This is a no Comic Spoiler thread, so if that is from there, that should not be here or at least, should be in a spoiler tag.

Archived