[TWoW SPOILERS] March chapter mercy part ii

Angalin

fantastic chapter, but like so many others, leaves me clamoring for the actual completion of WoW.

one thing I noticed in this chapter, that to me is very indicative of what is happening to Arya, is this statement:

"It would be just like Mercy to sleep through her own rape."

Granted, Mercy is not Arya, and the rape is only a scene in the play, but is this statement not a good indication of exactly how Arya is growing mentally? meaning she is showing more and more tendency to be UNFEELING, UNCARING, EMOTIONLESS. Losing grip with her own inner-self.

and this chapter does bring to mind the "old crones" prophecy of Arya sewing throughout the winter (Arya sews with her own NEEDLE in her own way meaning killing) but the old crone also said she would not survive the winter and be found with needle in her frozen fingers.

I must say, to me Arya will complete her list and will complete it before Spring arrives again. but she will not see that Spring herself.

I thought it was Jon who said that to Arya?

I was just thinking that. Was she wearing her mummers coat when she killed Raff? Could Needle fit hidden in it?

I see no reason to think she was not (wearing the coat). And Needle isn't the largest of swords, it could fit (especially if Martin wants to). What sold me was the parts about it "not being her's (Mercy's) like her other treasures" and the fact that she pierced through his neck and twisted. Needle is a piercing blade.

If it was another blade, it would've made more sense if she cut his throat.

EDIT: Ran, could we ask about your two cents here - was or wasn't the blade Needle?

Exactly, I don't understand why most people seem to assume it's Sansa. Only because it would make for a nice irony? Well, cool, but Sansa doesn't fit because she was neither raped nor murdered... granted that they're taking artistic liberties, but why not settle for the girl who claimed to have been sexually violated and was actually murdered by Tyrion? Beats me.

Well, once Cersei discovered that Shae had been murdered as well, she did her best to keep it a secret.

Ser Osmund had been joined by his brothers Osney and Osfryd. "There is a dead woman in the Hand's bedchamber," Cersei told the three Kettleblacks. "No one is ever to know that she was here."

"Aye, m'lady." Ser Osney had faint scratches on his cheek where another of Tyrion's whores had clawed him. "And what shall we do with her?"

"Feed her to your dogs. Keep her for a bedmate. What do I care? She was never here. I'll have the tongue of any man who dares to say she was. Do you understand me?"

Is Shae ever mentioned as Tyrion's victim along with Tywin?

She was in his trial, she testified against him, but are people aware that she was with Tywin when Tyrion escaped and that she was strangled by him?

I don't think that many people know that.

As for Sansa, she was last seen at Joffrey's wedding.

Once she disappeared, people started speculating and blamed her for Joffrey's murder.

My guess is that Phario Forel wrote a play based on the recent events that took place in KL but it is not necessarily an accurate account of what really happenned. The character that Mercy was expected to portray, might have been based on both women, Sansa and Shae.

In adaptations, usually characters are omitted or combined to one character. In the tv series for example, Ros doesn't appear in the books, but she is based on some characters from the books.

This is one of the best chapters I've ever done. I just knew Arya was going to mess with the Laainster soldiers when it said they were going to treat with the Iron Bank back in AFFC(or ADWD? I can't remember).

Also people saying Cersei is back in power? The guys are just talking about getting a lord ship for killing Tyrion. Raff is stupid enough to still believe he will get that despite Cersei's trial coming up.

I see no reason to think she was not (wearing the coat). And Needle isn't the largest of swords, it could fit (especially if Martin wants to). What sold me was the parts about it "not being her's (Mercy's) like her other treasures" and the fact that she pierced through his neck and twisted. Needle is a piercing blade.

If it was another blade, it would've made more sense if she cut his throat.

I agree. I think it was Needle. Its the first thing I thought when she mentioned it not being hers, as in not Mercy's.

OMG!! Thread number 2, and I'm still trapped reading the first one. A girl must choose.........reread Mercy or keep up with the threads, LOL

@Veltigar Thank you for the answer on the Tyrion chapter. I'm trying to keep track of them all, make sure I'm not missing any others. I did read Vic, I should hunt that one down again, I've only read that one time, so far. Just wanted to thank you for your help. I tried to thank you on the other thread, and almost hit report on you, not noticing the thread had closed. No report filed, all is well. ;)

If personality absorption does occur, then it would account for Arya's jarring character change and her rash killing of Raff. It would certainly resolve some of the problems I'm having with this chapter.

But then again, wouldn't that render her FM training moot. If every time she dons a new face her personality changes and becomes subject to the whims of the former face wearer.

I dunno. I guess we'll see.

Oh, another thing, am I the only one who thinks the blade was indeed Needle?

A real blade, not belonging to her like her other treasures... It was thin, and she pierced his neck with it. I think Arya got it from under the stairs when she left for Izembaro.

No, too big to fit in a secret pocket and remember how she cut Raff after feeling him (eeeeew) - that had to be done with a knife, needle would not fit in the motion.

John Reynolds,

I was disturbed by much that I have read, but saying that the author is bad for writing disturbing stuff is not true. It sounds like watching Hannibal and then saying how you like your shows without all the cannibalism.

If you prefer your war-of-roses fantasy without all the creepy and/or sexual stuff, there is plenty of it to read.

If you still want to read ASoIaF, you can ask for trigger warnings (somebody on tumblr already listed them) and wait until you feel up to it, or if you have friends who are also fans you can ask them to give you a cleaned up version.

But complaining that GRRM is writing things you don't like is a lot like saying that GRRM is your bitch. He is not.

@Lady Fevre Dream, Tor.com just did a post that compiles all the released chapters and links where to access them. I hope it's ok to post here. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/03/how-much-winds-of-winter-is-out

On the queen thing, the two guards are talking about how the queen will have Swyft's head if he doesn't return with the gold. That sounds like Cersei to me.

No, too big to fit in a secret pocket and remember how she cut Raff after feeling him (eeeeew) - that had to be done with a knife, needle would not fit in the motion.

This was done with her "fruit knife", and the finishing move was done with the other blade, which I suppose is Needle.

It's noted that she has two blades - fruit knife and the "real" one that does not belong to her, like her other treasures - remember how the KM made her throw away all her treasures, and she kept only needle?

OMG!! Thread number 2, and I'm still trapped reading the first one. A girl must choose.........reread Mercy or keep up with the threads, LOL

@Veltigar Thank you for the answer on the Tyrion chapter. I'm trying to keep track of them all, make sure I'm not missing any others. I did read Vic, I should hunt that one down again, I've only read that one time, so far. Just wanted to thank you for your help. I tried to thank you on the other thread, and almost hit report on you, not noticing the thread had closed. No report filed, all is well. ;)

It was no trouble ;)

Perhaps, I can help you even further with a small list.

Officially released (website, app, paperback):

Theon I

Tyrion II

Arianne II

Barristan I

Arya I

Only at readings:

Arianne I

Tyrion I

Victarion I

Barristan II

This are all the released chapters IIRC. There was also an Aeron chapter that GRRM was okay with sharing, but sadly people decided that Arianne was the one they wanted to hear.

I'm guessing that we're pretty close to tWoW now. Only one chapter (Aeron) that might be released. I'm siked for a 2015 release :D

Very interesting chapter. So the next phase of Arya's Faceless Man training was actually to apprentice for a mummer and learn the ways of acting? Or is this bumbling, self-proclaimed "King of Mummers" actually a powerful Faceless Man?

And what mission is the envoy on from the Iron Throne? I think it was already explained in F/D but I don't remember the specifics. Was Cersei foolish enough to ask for more money from the Iron Bank without paying back what she already owed? If somebody would be so kind as to clue me in it would be greatly appreciated. They said The Queen needs her gold so it has to be Cersei, or perhaps Queen Madge, except that begs the question why would she be sending Lannister soldiers.

Archived