April Reads

Garett Hornwood

I liked the first one quite a bit but have been hesitaint to continue because of this, PYR has just been making some....questionable decisions as of late.

Read the next three. They could be a full series on their own, with a nice completed story arc.

Yes it was quite intriguing. How could you not finish the series though when you were that close to the end!!!?

I read the first seven of the main series, Night of Knives, and three of the novellas. I just got tired of the whole series and didn't care how it ended. Apathy and fatigue - there's too many other books that I'm actually interested in reading to keep trudging along through the Malazan empire.

I read the first seven of the main series, Night of Knives, and three of the novellas. I just got tired of the whole series and didn't care how it ended. Apathy and fatigue - there's too many other books that I'm actually interested in reading to keep trudging along through the Malazan empire.

Ok I see. That's why I'm skipping ICE's books and just reading the main series. 10 books I can handle, 16 not so much. I'm thinking of reading Joe Abercrombie's trilogy after Malazan is finished.

Ok I see. That's why I'm skipping ICE's books and just reading the main series. 10 books I can handle, 16 not so much. I'm thinking of reading Joe Abercrombie's trilogy after Malazan is finished.

Night of Knives was definitely not the problem, and the novellas were all really fun. Between the novellas and the concentrated Karsa story, I think Erikson is best in a shorter/tighter setting. As the series went on it felt like they just kept getting more and more bloated and meandering. Maybe the novellas were the problem because they showed me what he could do.

Finished Galveston by Nic Pizzolato. Really liked.it.

Also finally finished Name of the Wind. I started it like in December and have been reading it off and on. I really liked the beginning of the book and felt it was by far the strongest section. Other than that, Kinda meh about it. Didn't find many of the characters interesting and hated the main character the majority of the time. Can't say I'll be picking the follow up novel up any time soon. Maybe one day :)

I got an early copy of Rogues so I just finished The Lightning Tree by Pat Rothfuss. There was so much to love about that little short story, I just wish it was longer!

Next thing I read will probably be GRRM's story in it :) (That's right, I picked Rothfuss before GRRM in Rogues)

I got an early copy of Rogues so I just finished The Lightning Tree by Pat Rothfuss. There was so much to love about that little short story, I just wish it was longer!

Next thing I read will probably be GRRM's story in it :) (That's right, I picked Rothfuss before GRRM in Rogues)

I'm keen for Gillian Flynn's story. When's it out officially?

I read Forever in the Memory of God: And Other Stories by Peadar Ó Guilín(the one and only ;) ) while traveling back from a con and enjoyed the 3 stories in it greatly.

Dilghtfulyl weird stuff as usual.

Thanks, Luzi! You're not so evil, after all!

I'm reading The Last Moghul by William Dalrymple. This is the story of the Indian Mutiny of 1857. What I love about this guy's history books is that at least half his material comes from local sources, rather than relying on the British point of view. So far, so fascinating.

I just finished The Martian by Andy Weir. I'm not a big space-nerd so I wasn't expecting much, but it was one of the most exciting books I've read in a while. It's not profound, or life changing or anything, just a really fun read. Having read Packing for Mars by Mary Roach a few months ago helped a bit too.

I'm on to Terry Pratchett's Thud for now until I can decide what I really want to read next. I do want to read The Republic of Thieves but I've been putting it off because I have forgotten all about Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas under Red Skies other than that I enjoyed them a lot. I really don't want to read my old paperback books, but I'm not sure if I feel like re-buying on the kindle either. Might start the Wool series instead.

Just finished The Casual Vacancy, which I really enjoyed. I don't know why it got such bad reviews - unless it had something to do with it being about actual, shitty life, rather than Hogwarts.

Downloaded The One by J.K. Accinni today, the final book in the Species Intervention series. Remembering to charge my Kindle can be a pain in the arse sometimes :laugh:

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson was beautiful in its bleakness, keeping me up reading when I should have been sleeping just to see where the story would go. You had to pay close attention to the story and its twists and the messages -even the humor- hidden in plain sight.

I'm now reading A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Only 1/4 of the way in but it looks like another great read so far.

Finished Adam Christopher's The Burning Dark yesterday. Was waiting for this one for months, and sorry to say it didn't live up to the hype. It's essentially a haunted house story set on an semi-abandoned space station. It was all right up until the final act when everything went to pot. Meh.

Picked up Raziel's Shadow by Joseph Robert Lewis for free on Amazon last night. Never heard of the author before, but the first couple of chapters seem very promising.

Here's the blurb:

Orphaned and exiled, one prince's last hope to free his country from a plague of demons is to find the legendary magi and become one of their holy warriors. After losing his companions one by one, he finally reaches the distant kingdom of the magi, but they refuse to train him.

Now, his only chance to save his people is to guide seven powerful clerics across a hellish wasteland ruled by flaming ifrits and packs of bloodthirsty ghuls. Beyond a dark sea hiding monstrous creatures, the prince leads his new companions over endless grasslands where even lions fear to tread and into primeval forests where behemoths devour the trees whole.

In the golden city of Azumar, the prince confronts the man who killed his father, and discovers a horrible truth about his people, his dead friends, and himself. But he carries on, leaving his homeland behind to seek out the demon queen of Naj Kuvari. With death at his heels, the prince discovers stronger and stranger loves than he has ever known, and together they search for a way to undo the madness that was unleashed when the angel Raziel was murdered.

Hoping to finish both A House for Mr. Biswas by VS Naipaul and Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson this weekend. Then I plan on starting Exit Ghost by Philip Roth.

I may jump right into Deadhouse Gates as well, depending on how Gardens ends.

Finished The Crippled God some minutes ago. I loved it, and now I can say for certain that the Malazan Book of the Fallen is my favorite series ever. It was a great conclusion to the series, even though there are a couple of loose ends.

I'll take a break from the Malazan world now, i'll probably read The Folding Knife and some other book before starting Stonewielder. I want to be done with all the Esslemont novels before Assail comes out in early July.

I finished Elizabeth Bear's The Edda of Burdens trilogy. Despite rather hoping for something different than what ultimately came of it when I started, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite being slight, she has the knack of really making me care about her characters- I was genuinely fretting for their safety in the third one.

It is a very strange series though. The time-skipping aspects of the third do mean that some things just don't really line up, and there was one character who felt a bit uncomfortably ill-thought-out in her whole concept, but mostly she makes it work.

Also, The Boy with the Porcelain Blade, a novel with a lot of good ideas that comes to less than the sum of its parts, unfortunately.

Finished The Old Garden by Hwang Sok-Yong. A moving and powerful book about rebellion and idealism set in 1980s S. Korea.

Also finished The Blue Fox by Sjon. Liked it a lot, but I felt it could have been longer.

Now reading Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle.

Archived