April Reads

Garett Hornwood

Approaching the end of Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. Holy shit, this book is good, despite the version I'm reading (published by Orbit) being riddled with typos and missing words. I wonder if the self-published version was as shoddy. #copyeditorfail

ETA: It appears that the self-published book was also blighted by these typos. You'd think Orbit would have sprung for a copy editor. Kinda makes a mockery of the notion that traditional publishers are always going to deliver higher quality product.

Weird, the US publication (by um, ACE I think) apprently was super eidtied and revised to fix a lot of those. Wonder if the orbit ersion is just the older copy.

Weird, the US publication (by um, ACE I think) apprently was super eidtied and revised to fix a lot of those. Wonder if the orbit ersion is just the older copy.

Not sure when he self-published, but my copy is dated 2013. I guess it's testament to the quality of the work that the errors in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the book. I've read quite a few debuts over the past year or so, and this stands head and shoulders above them all (apologies to John Gwynne and Luke Scull...).

The movie is an adaptation of the graphic novel.

Huh, doesn't seem like something you'd usually find in a graphic novel. Then again, I'm not really up on what you'd find in a graphic novel.

Finished Bakker - A Thousandfold Thought last night. Really enjoyed the re-read of Prince of Nothing series as a whole.

Going to start on Frank Herberts - Dune or finish the Walter J Williams - Dread Empires Fall series, just not sure which at the moment. I remember enjoying Praxis because I found the space battles interesting (non relativistic) and wanted to find out more about the Shaa, so I might finish the series before I start Dune.

Actually done more reading than I thought I would so far this month - so much easier since getting a kindle HD though. Still dont know how some of you guys manage 10 books a month or something, crazy!

I don't know how folks here rip through so many books a month either. I thought I was the only one flabbergasted at it. I just don't have the time for it, more's the pity.

ETA: The Dune series and the Second Apocalypse are some of my favorite reread materials. Maybe that's why I don't finish as many new books, hmm? :P

But I did finish reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I could barely put it down.

If you ever wanted to understand why people cut themselves, read this book.

Otherland is so far much more to my liking than MS&T (why does MS&T autocomplete for me?) The protagonist is and acts like an adult.

About a tenth if the way through Infinite Jest and still not entirely sure what all is going on.

Huh, doesn't seem like something you'd usually find in a graphic novel. Then again, I'm not really up on what you'd find in a graphic novel.

I'm not up with Blue is the Warmest Colour but European graphic novels in particular (though it's getting increasingly true of English-language ones too) can be just about anything...

I mean, is it anything less like you'd expect of a comic than, say, Persopolis?

I read several books at sea last week. Let's see...

The Charnel Prince, The Blood Knight and The Born Queen by Greg Keyes. I had read The Briar King earlier this year, and it wasn't good enough for me to snap up the sequels, but it was good enough that I found myself wondering what happened weeks after I read it. So I decided to continue on. I think it was a good choice! It is SO frequent for me to love the first book in a series and be disappointed by the end. Instead I found that they were all far better than the first. I think Charnel Prince was my favorite book of the series, but I found the ending to be quite well-executed and satisfying in a way that is quite rare. I think it's funny that several people told me the series got worse as it went, but maybe I just have strange taste. :)

Then I read Matter by Iain M. Banks. Not my favorite Culture novel, but still a Culture novel, so enjoyable. He writes very beautifully, but the plot was a bit limp in this one. The ending was good, though. And I liked the blend of fantasy tropes with sci fi.

After that I read Wonders of the Invisible World by Patricia McKellep. This was a short story collection. I usually feel like I don't really like short stories much, but then I read short stories and I really love them. I just need to get them in front of my eyes! These stories dealt a lot with faerie mystique, an area that I don't normally find particularly intriguing, but they were well-written and very interesting. She likes to end just when they're getting good! I feel like I should pick up some of her books, now, as this was my first experience with her writing.

Most recently I read The City and The City by China Mieville. The only other book of his I tried was so horrible I quit (unusual for me), but I decided I'd give him another shot. This book I managed to finish, and there was a lot to admire in it, but it was just...weird, I guess? I wasn't really sure why I ought to care about any of it, in the end. The characters felt pretty thin and besides the novelty of the cityscape, it felt like a half-hearted effort at a murder mystery. It wasn't horrible, but I don't think I'll bother with Mieville again.

Not sure what is up next...I think I have a novel Snow Hunters or something I got from the library. We'll see.

Most recently I read The City and The City by China Mieville. The only other book of his I tried was so horrible I quit (unusual for me), but I decided I'd give him another shot. This book I managed to finish, and there was a lot to admire in it, but it was just...weird, I guess? I wasn't really sure why I ought to care about any of it, in the end. The characters felt pretty thin and besides the novelty of the cityscape, it felt like a half-hearted effort at a murder mystery. It wasn't horrible, but I don't think I'll bother with Mieville again.

Starkess, what was the other novel? Perdido St Station? I would give The Scar a go if you have any residual interest in him, it's easily Mieville's finest work.

Starkess, what was the other novel? Perdido St Station? I would give The Scar a go if you have any residual interest in him, it's easily Mieville's finest work.

Kraken, which managed to be both bizarre and boring at once.

I don't know how folks here rip through so many books a month either. I thought I was the only one flabbergasted at it. I just don't have the time for it, more's the pity.

ETA: The Dune series and the Second Apocalypse are some of my favorite reread materials. Maybe that's why I don't finish as many new books, hmm? :P

Yeah my recent PoN read through was a re-read, ill wait for TUC to re-read AE though. Maybe 1-4 books a month for me is reasonable depending on work and family life.

What book of the Dune series would you recommend first? Chronological order?

Nice avatar. Probably my favorite female character in TWD. Think I have seen you over at R&L forums.

Yeah my recent PoN read through was a re-read, ill wait for TUC to re-read AE though. Maybe 1-4 books a month for me is reasonable depending on work and family life.

What book of the Dune series would you recommend first? Chronological order?

Nice avatar. Probably my favorite female character in TWD. Think I have seen you over at R&L forums.

Oh, definitely start with the first, "Dune." It sets up the world and its rules. A lot of folks aren't as enthralled with the following books, but I liked certain of them a lot. And stay away from the ones not actually written by Frank Herbert! It'll rot your eyes out! :P

Finished The Folding Knife, it was a fun, awesome read. I loved the characters and Parker's style, I'll definitely read more of her/his books.

Currently reading A Shadow in Summer, since I have the omnibus edition, I'll probably read A Betrayal in Winter once I'm done with that part. Then it'll be Malazan time again. <3 I miss it already.

Archived