Season 4 Impressions

Westeros

You think? I thought the S1 scene was a pretty straightforward "her mouth says no but her eyes say yes" moment. There is absolutely no correlation between that and what is being discussed in S4. The difference between flirting and rape is not a simple matter of degrees. To me, that's a bit like saying "seeing how those 2 brothers used to wrestle around with each as children, we should have known that one would eventually murder the other."

Have you actually seen the episode, or are you just assuming it's a rape scene? Elio has pretty much said that the scene is a "her mouth says no but her eyes say yes" scene. Which sounds pretty close to what it was like in the book. It seems to me that we have to at least see the episode before we decide who is right, Elio or the people who described it as rape (disclaimer: I don't even know if anyone who's seen it has described it as a rape, I was avoiding the spoilery reviews and recaps, I just know that some of the recappers' comments have been interpreted that way).

I think they could have made him pathetic enough to bring sorrow. I read somewhere that a reason the torture was so omnipresent was that the actor that plays Theon had a contract the required a lot of screen time.

Nobody had ever heard of Alfie Allen until he was in GOT. How would he have managed to get a contract that called for screen time?

I hope the Theon torture ends. It was not in the books, only the outcome, and I wish that was how they dealt with it in the show.

Yes but alot Theons torture we learn about through Reeks mind, his inner monologues. The only way you can disseminate that information in a visual medium is by showing the torture or having character's tell the audience he was tortured. I.e. Ramsay: "Remember that time I cut your dick off. LOL". Also, they need to demonstrate what a sick bastard Ramsay is. If they had introduced him like they did in the books, then you could conceivably skip Theon/Ramsay arc in season 3 because you would have already demonstrated who Ramsay was (Lady Hornwood fingers). Overall, I feel they could have been more creative but they do at the very least establish Ramsay and break down Theon so his Reek persona is better understood.

Depends who they cast in those roles. Not to be shallow or anything, but Arianne has to be smokin hot, that's like her defining trait. I'm indifferent to the Sand Snakes, to be honest

Asha was suppose to be hot in the books, but they cast a nice umm interesting choice. At first I thought Theon was going to be made gay for the show or something. But no it was a girl and his sister and everything. You never know with this show, maybe the girl from Theons boat journey get's the Arianne role, then what?

Asha was suppose to be hot in the books, but they cast a nice umm interesting choice. At first I thought Theon was going to be made gay for the show or something. But no it was a girl and his sister and everything. You never know with this show, maybe the girl from Theons boat journey get's the Arianne role, then what?

They don't really cast for "smokin hot" in this show. Even the people who are supposed to be really beautiful aren't that beautiful. Cersei, Jamie, Dany, Joff...none of these actors are really as beautiful as their characters are described as being.

They don't really cast for "smokin hot" in this show. Even the people who are supposed to be really beautiful aren't that beautiful. Cersei, Jamie, Dany, Joff...none of these actors are really as beautiful as their characters are described as being.

wow you must have some really high ass standards if you think lena,nikolaj and emilia aren't attractive. emilia especially is so gorgeous as dany

Theon turned to give her an appraising glance. He liked what he saw. Ironborn, he knew at a glance; lean and longlegged, with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin, strong sure hands, a dirk at her belt. Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it. He judged her a few years older than he was, but no more than five-and twenty. She moved as if she were used to a deck beneath her feet.

Theon reached around her to take the reins. She was almost of a height with him. Her hair could have used a wash and she had a faded pink scar on her pretty neck, but he liked the smell of her, salt and sweat and woman.

Yes, sounds just like a supermodel.

Have you actually seen the episode, or are you just assuming it's a rape scene? Elio has pretty much said that the scene is a "her mouth says no but her eyes say yes" scene. Which sounds pretty close to what it was like in the book. It seems to me that we have to at least see the episode before we decide who is right, Elio or the people who described it as rape (disclaimer: I don't even know if anyone who's seen it has described it as a rape, I was avoiding the spoilery reviews and recaps, I just know that some of the recappers' comments have been interpreted that way).

I agree. I've absolutely not seen the episode and don't presume to know what happens - that's why I tried to qualify it with "what is being discussed" as opposed to "what happens". I probably should have avoided that word (or hidden it with a tag), but I figured it wasn't a big deal since it's not from the books and I have no idea whether it's in the show.

My intended point was:

if the upcoming scene is nonconsensual, then it is fundamentally different from, and bears no relation to, the scene from S1.

wow you must have some really high ass standards if you think lena,nikolaj and emilia aren't attractive. emilia especially is so gorgeous as dany

Em, I didn't say they weren't attractive, I said they weren't as beautiful as they were in the books, and they're not, especially the men, the guy who plays Joff isn't even really good looking, Coster Waldea is handsome but not the amazingly handsome guy that Jamie Lannister is supposed to be. Theon is supposed to be very handsome also, and while Alfie kills it in the role, he's not handsome by any stretch of the imagination. Lena and Emelia are good looking, but not great beauties, I am sticking with that.

It would have never worked in the show to do it like the book.

It would have, if they did it right. As it was, Theon's arc in season 3 was a travesty, and only made me feel sorry that so much potential was wasted.

meh I like Oberyn but I feel like they're giving him too screentime than it is necessary

Maybe just in the first episode perhaps. They need to properly introduce him and show his motives.

The Thenns look scary!!!

They do look cool, but I still don't like how they are making them into cannibals. Thenns are supposed to be the most sophisticated of the Free Folk.

Archived