Nitpick With Impunity S04 E02 Version

The scene didn't portray Stannis as a religious fanatic though, it was more like showing he would do anything to gain power. Or was that attitude what you found questionable ?

The difference is that he never executes or sacrifices any innocent people in the books, though he does admittedly come uncomfortably close with Edric. I think one of the biggest problems is that, not only does it give us a depiction of his relationship to Rhillor that lacks nuance, but it also strips him of this strong sense of "duty" which was a redeeming, and important character trait that helped make him three-dimensional as a gray figure. One can question his utilitarian ethics, but having Stannis sacrifice "Axel" Florent in this way definitely cheapened him as a character, and worsened an already questionable adaptation of his arc.

The scene didn't portray Stannis as a religious fanatic though, it was more like showing he would do anything to gain power. Or was that attitude what you found questionable ?

Stannis looked real mad during that scene. His whole speech about why the burnings were happening was through clinched teeth. He was conflicted, angry, frustrated, and unsure if hes even doing the right thing. But hes gonna do it anyway cuz it is a means to an end. His whole demeanor was not that of a fanatic. I can see why Stannis fans are butthurt but i say to them: "Patience, my pets. Sooooon~~"

What a weird comment

What ever would make you assume she hasn't seen the show?

Right? Ive seen it enough to really observe. To clarify on Emilia Clarke, shes actually pretty good with straightforward, bombastic scenes like Astapor. Next week's taking of Meereen should be exciting enough. Shes good with that. Its just the other, more subtle stuff with Dany, shes not good with. Just..not enough chops.

Close to a religious fanatic, I think, he named Axell an infidel. He seemed conflicted but that just confirms he is Mel's puppet, the hapless king still licking his wounds after one whole season. That was my impression. Things can change but it looks like Stannis has no moral courage.

I also think Sibel is a good actress, but I'm slightly biased from having seen her before Game of Thrones.

I actually thought her scenes in season 1 were quite good. She was natural and she more than held her own opposite Dinklage.

But since they've turned Shae into this jealous spiteful ... whatever.. she's quite terrible.

She's given terrible material, but at least she tries to make it work.

Compared to Clarke, who, even when given good material, just stands there with that expressionless look on her face and monotone delivery.

Didn't like Cersei much this episode. I don't get why she suddenly hates Pycelle. In the first episode, she said he smells like dead cats (wonderful nod to books and Joff's kitten story?). In this episode she's biting his head off and dismissing him from the wedding... And for what?

She confronts Brienne about Jaime but I'm not sure why. I feel like I missed something. If she thinks Brienne loves Jaime she has to have a reason.

I know the show cannot afford to be as subtle as the books but Cersei and Tywin talking about Shae at the wedding was just too odd, too open.

The lion's head felt out of place. Seemed too modern.

I've liked Shae up until now. Why is she all of a sudden so jealous and so angry? Shae liked Sansa! She knows Tyrion isn't having sex with her.

I'm annoyed with Derpy Stannis. I want him to grind his teeth and snap at people not sniff his food? What was that? Why does he always seem to be mentally challenged? I can't stand it.

"Selyse! Don't burn me until I can tell the audience who I am and how we are related!" Exposition and a execution. Lovely.

Not loving Ramsay's portrayal. The actor is always too gleeful. It's very cliche, the smiling sadist.

Roose smuggled himself through Moat Caitlin? U wot m8.

Tommen wasn't served beets.

"Infidels" - Stannis, the whole Dragonstone sequence, excluding Shireen :tantrum: RAAAWR! :bang:

How the fuck did Roose get to the Dreadfort?

Shae crying was not even vaguely believable.

I was actually expecting Jaime to try and recruit Loras into the Kingsguard. :dunno:

None of Brienne's scenes work, she's just not meant to be there.

Those are my nitpicks, I otherwise enjoyed the episode. 7/10

ETA: From a purist point of view, Tyrion's newfound fidelity to Sansa is odd.

I know, right? I've spent a good deal of time defending Sibel Kekilli's acting, but I was so, so unimpressed.

...To be fair, Lena Headey was underwhelming in that last scene as well. She was clearly trying to summon up more emotion than she was capable of conveying. Very disappointing.

Also annoyed at the lack of mention of the kinslaying curse in an episode where a character condoned the burning of her brother. Come ON!

I know, right? I've spent a good deal of time defending Sibel Kekilli's acting, but I was so, so unimpressed.

...To be fair, Lena Headey was underwhelming in that last scene as well. She was clearly trying to summon up more emotion than she was capable of conveying. Very disappointing.

Also annoyed at the lack of mention of the kinslaying curse in an episode where a character condoned the burning of her brother. Come ON!

I thought the same thing about Lena, not saying she's a bad actress, she does a great drunk Cersei, but it appears that over the top crying jag level stuff is not something she's good at.

I don't even care about the fake Shae crying, as someone else said, if they thought the "mean whore" was too trite, I don't see how Julia Roberts Goes To Westeros is supposed to be an improvement. At least we can comprehend why a whore might be mean. TV Shae is just insanely unbelievable now on every level, on top of totally falling in love with Tyrion and feeling like Sansa's mother, she's lost half her IQ points and fails to see she's in danger and wants to stand up..her and her man...against basically the rest of the powers that be. It makes Book Shae look quasidimensional.

Stannis looked real mad during that scene. His whole speech about why the burnings were happening was through clinched teeth. He was conflicted, angry, frustrated, and unsure if hes even doing the right thing. But hes gonna do it anyway cuz it is a means to an end. His whole demeanor was not that of a fanatic. I can see why Stannis fans are butthurt but i say to them: "Patience, my pets. Sooooon~~"

What annoys me is that no reason is given for the burnings other than that they were "infidels". To my knowledge, Stannis never burns anyone for differences in religion in the books (though Mel does in his absence), only criminals. Stannis is in no way religious, he's even on the fence about R'hllor's existence.

ETA:

Agreed. Why is he doing that? Ehh oh well.

I can only hope that the extra whitewashing will make his later actions more shocking.

"Infidels" - Stannis, the whole Dragonstone sequence, excluding Shireen :tantrum: RAAAWR! :bang:

How the fuck did Roose get to the Dreadfort?

I was actually expecting Jaime to try and recruit Loras into the Kingsguard. :dunno:

Those are my nitpicks, I otherwise enjoyed the episode. 7/10

They actually explained that roose had to take a ship to get to the dreadfort.

Oh, forgot, now we finally saw Daenerys' dragon scene :D

All this freakout about it in the trailer, now we know.

Now we actually know more than from the books. She will come to KL. At least a dragon.

That scene was so amazing, the whole vision.

It was discussed yesterday in a different thread but some believe that shadow to be far to large for Drogon and could be Balerion.

How could Ramsay trust Reek enough to razor shave his neck? Doesn't Reek want to die anyway? What has he to lose? All he has to do is slice Ramsay's neck and then death and an end to his suffering.

It was also to show Roose how well Reek has been trained and that he could be useful in the future. Roose was ready to throttle Ramsay because they wanted to trade Theon, but now theres another use for him - finding the Stark kids. Without that show of loyalty (fear) Roose would not have believed Ramsay or Reek and probably wouldve shoved his boot into Ramsay's asshole.

I dont have too many issues with this episode. I wouldve LOVED to have heard the Dont make me rue the day I raped your mother line. The comment about Valyrian steel to bring that chestnut back up.

I just cannot fathom how Stannis was portrayed. I like Stannis, Im not one of these huge STANNIS STANNIS STANNIS guys. But this was ridiculous. Stannis uses religion as a means to an end. He is not a fanatic. I dont even care it was the wrong Florent burnt, its the fact he said it was because he was an infidel.

I did enjoy the Dinner at Dragonstone and the suffer them all the same comment.

The timing with Jamie throws off his reaction. He SHOULD have not done anything, but you cant have him at the wedding and him just stand there doing nothing.

My other gripe is Balon Greyjoy. What the hell is going on with the Greyjoy timeline?!

What annoys me is that no reason is given for the burnings other than that they were "infidels". To my knowledge, Stannis never burns anyone for differences in religion in the books (though Mel does in his absence), only criminals. Stannis is in no way religious, he's even on the fence about R'hllor's existence.

ETA: I can only hope that the extra whitewashing will make his later actions more shocking.

Well yeah. I think this is D&D's personal insertion. But im hoping that this is going on so to make Stannis' break from Melisandre all the more dramatic and really contrast how he is when he isnt under her "spell" so to speak. Maybe. I do think you lot are on to something when you say D&D have some beef with Stannis, but i do also keep optimistic that he'll get his due. If they make Stannis look like a cunt during his finest hour(s), thats when you will see me grabbing the torch and pitchfork.

Yeah, Joff being cuddled by his mother and his "real" father at the moment of his death, precious and also in front of everyone. I do love Oberyn right in Tywin's face saying the way it is and Tywin not doing shit. One gets the impression he fears Dorne. Also, Roose looks nervous and potentially scared at the truth of Bran and Rickon being alive. I do wish they mention the need for caution regarding the direwolves though.

Right? Ive seen it enough to really observe. To clarify on Emilia Clarke, shes actually pretty good with straightforward, bombastic scenes like Astapor. Next week's taking of Meereen should be exciting enough. Shes good with that. Its just the other, more subtle stuff with Dany, shes not good with. Just..not enough chops.

Yeah. If all she had to do was yell at people in Valyrian, she'd be all set. :D

It seemed like a bit of a pointless detail. Even from a whitewashing perspective it made no sense, since Tyrion's plan in 3x07 was not to get rid of Shae post-marriage but to set her up in style as a permanent mistress. It also seemed like his fidelity to Sansa in 4x01--if you take his words to Shae at face value--had more to do with his stressful circumstances than any need to stay faithful to Sansa out of principle; even his refusal of the prostitutes in 4x01 on the basis of his marriage seemed more like he was using his marriage as an excuse rather than it being some great assertion of his personal morals.

They actually explained that roose had to take a ship to get to the dreadfort.

Did they? That would make the most sense, but I only remember him saying that he was smuggled into his own lands, which would make no sense if he arrived by ship, with the Ironborn not being present in the east of the North. I realise that the script writers (GRRM?) are relying on me not knowing as much as I do, but I guess this is the nitpicking thread. ;)

Jaime's scenes, too. It was like, let's pretend they were in a little bubble with each other, or another character, what could they say or do. It had nothing to do with the overall story, and it's just as well they introduced some humor or spelled some things out, because what else could they do?

Jaime's scenes, too. It was like, let's pretend they were in a little bubble with each other, or another character, what could they say or do. It had nothing to do with the overall story, and it's just as well they introduced some humor or spelled some things out, because what else could they do?

Jaime's didn't bother me so much. I quite liked the scene with Tyrion; it's nice to see them act like brothers before shit goes down.

Archived