The Official World of Ice and Fire Cover

That was a quick suggested mock-up that Linda and I actually put together, when we and George didn't quite like some earlier designs and wanted to noodle around with some suggestions.

The piece used then was Simonetti's piece which George said was the closest anyone had gotten to his vision of the Iron Throne... but since then, Marc's created something even closer for the world book (under George's direction), and that will indeed be included.

Wow, thanks! That is wonderful :) I think I will go place my pre-order now :D

Thanks to you and Linda for all your contributions, Ran. We're pretty greedy and demanding, I think many of us could go for thousands of pages of history of this world. But I am really appreciative we will be getting this, and really looking forward to the hundreds we will be getting.

Thanks to you and Linda for all your contributions, Ran. We're pretty greedy and demanding, I think many of us could go for thousands of pages of history of this world. But I am really appreciative we will be getting this, and really looking forward to the hundreds we will be getting.

Hear, hear!

Well that's rather disappointing.

8000 years of rich history, and they spoil the front cover by putting the upstart, newbie Targaryen sigil on it. The House who has only been present for 300 of those 8000 years.

Just can't get away from the damn inbreds.

EDIT

A Dragon and a Wolf, one red on black, the other grey on white, would probably have represented Ice AND Fire more appropriately.

Well that's rather disappointing.

8000 years of rich history, and they spoil the front cover by putting the upstart, newbie Targaryen sigil on it. The House who has only been present for 300 of those 8000 years.

Just can't get away from the damn inbreds.

EDIT

A Dragon and a Wolf, one red on black, the other grey on white, would probably have represented Ice AND Fire more appropriately.

Even though the Statrks are very important to the story, do the symbolize the ice in Fire and Ice? What is representing ice more in the books, imo, are the Others.

I couldn't have said it better myself! B)

I'd put my money on the Andal invasion for the excerpt, since the arrival of the First Men would have to be written from the POV of the Children if they were 'unwelcome'. But then, my gold mines have run dry for three, so I'm broke now, and cannot participate in a wager...

The invasion of the Andals from the PoV of... a FM maester?

• 2 months later...

Care to elaborate on the sword Rhaegar is wielding? One recognizes that it is black...

I also guess this one of the more 'canonical pictures', yes? It seems to be spot on to me...

Our editor Anne Groell is at SDCC, and there'll be a copy of the book on display. She has shown it off on Twitter, here, and given a peek at one of Justin Sweet's paintings here.

Are attendees going to be allowed to open the book and read a bit?

Care to elaborate on the sword Rhaegar is wielding? One recognizes that it is black...

I also guess this one of the more 'canonical pictures', yes? It seems to be spot on to me...

What are you thinking, that' it's Dark Sister? I can't really tell if it's supposed to be black or just dark grey from that picture. I never envisioned Robert's hammer having a point to it, I guess that makes more sense as a weapon. (I was thinking of something like Thor's hammer with a longer handle.)

Our editor Anne Groell is at SDCC, and there'll be a copy of the book on display. She has shown it off on Twitter, here, and given a peek at one of Justin Sweet's paintings here.

The picture looks great. I'll definitely have to get the hardcover version of this one. Thank you for posting.

Archived