Videogames: Who Are You Buying This For?

Jace, Extat

It looks like the natural progression of Mount and Blade, honestly. The animation system looks better, but the game ultimately looks really similar.

edit: And if they're planning on adding heavy armor, they're going to need to work on an in-depth wrestling system if they're planning on keeping it realistic.

I don't know what mount and blade is, but I will look it up.

If by "heavy armor" you mean plate that's already in the game. Enemies and the player can wear it. I'm not sure if there is wrestling or not, but I have heard nothing about that so probably not. Also keep in mind the game takes place in 1403. Full plate harnesses were new and rare, as this was more a period of transition from mail. Leaving out a system of wrestling wouldn't be as unrealistic as you think.

I don't know what mount and blade is, but I will look it up.

If by "heavy armor" you mean plate that's already in the game. Enemies and the player can wear it. I'm not sure if there is wrestling or not, but I have heard nothing about that so probably not. Also keep in mind the game takes place in 1403. Full plate harnesses were new and rare, as this was more a period of transition from mail. Leaving out a system of wrestling wouldn't be as unrealistic as you think.

So, do they intend for you to slash at the people in full harness or...? Mordhau are nice but don't cover it, nor were they, afaik, the preferred primary method of engaging a lone armored opponent. You can't very well model halfswording, rondel/dagger use, and wrestling techniques using the same system, so unless they just handwave all armored combat as "yeah, we're going to use the same moves but we flipped the sword model around" they would have been better off just removing full harness from the game (if they're going for super-realistic, I mean).

Ringeck and Talhoffer were published in the 1440s and Liechtenauer was well before that. Liechtenauer, at least, has dissertations on how to fight against full plate from the 1380s, at least as regards to wrestling. I'll grant you that Talhoffer and Ringeck were after the game and they were some of the first to actually write clearly since Liechtenauer is a bunch of semi-cyphered mush, but people in the german schools at least had started putting together techniques for killing people in full plate by 1403.

So, do they intend for you to slash at the people in full harness or...? Mordhau are nice but don't cover it, nor were they, afaik, the preferred primary method of engaging a lone armored opponent. You can't very well model halfswording, rondel/dagger use, and wrestling techniques using the same system, so unless they just handwave all armored combat as "yeah, we're going to use the same moves but we flipped the sword model around" they would have been better off just removing full harness from the game (if they're going for super-realistic, I mean).

Ringeck and Talhoffer were published in the 1440s and Liechtenauer was well before that. Liechtenauer, at least, has dissertations on how to fight against full plate from the 1380s, at least as regards to wrestling. I'll grant you that Talhoffer and Ringeck were after the game and they were some of the first to actually write clearly since Liechtenauer is a bunch of semi-cyphered mush, but people in the german schools at least had started putting together techniques for killing people in full plate by 1403.

Well first of all going against a guy in a full plate harness while using a sword is pretty stupid, a sword is practically useless against plate. So mostly if you are fighting men in plate you aren't using a sword.(swords are more of a sidearm) so the whole wrestling thing is a last resort and I would also question how often that happened in the time being discussed.

Second, as far as I know fully articulated harnesses of plate did not exist in 1403(ok maybe it existed, but how many people used it at this point)You either had mail or mail with some plate. So I am unsure full harnesses will be in the game.

And third the presence and or a abscence of armored wrestling does not in and of itself make the combat unrealistic or realistic. The system they have looks to be the best combat I have ever seen and I'm not even sure how you would animate wrestling in first person.

For it to be realistic the game just has to show that you cannot defeat plate with a sword. The idea that in order for it to be realistic it has to have wrestling is nonsense.(and tbh, I think you just wanted to show off your knowledge of the subject, nothing wrong with that of course) the combat is heavily based on stamina that would most likely play in to fighting men in full plate(if they are in the game at all)

Just saw this The heading of guerrilla warfare and open world caught my eye. After I recovered from the fit of laughter upon hearing it was about north Korea invading the United States(LOL) I realized it might have some potential. Or maybe im just desperate for new games.

Just saw this The heading of guerrilla warfare and open world caught my eye. After I recovered from the fit of laughter upon hearing it was about north Korea invading the United States(LOL) I realized it might have some potential. Or maybe im just desperate for new games.

Wasn't that the plot of the Red Dawn remake?

Yeah, it was. Sort of odd, I don't understand why NK of all places?

Not wise to piss off the Chinese market. Battlefield taught that lesson.

So me and the BF bought Watchdogs yesterday since I'm out of work for a few days. I mostly watched him play it last night, and now picked up the controller for myself. It's kinda-sorta-good I guess. I can say definitively that if this is how sandbox games are gonna look for the next gen, I approve.

Here http://www.justpushstart.com/2014/02/playable-female-character-goal-reached-kingdom-come-deliverance/

In the video on that page you can see the female player model.

As was said above though, it was a kick starter bonus and you can only play a female temporarily. I left that part out to sell you on the game.

It would definetly be great if they had a full on playable female for the entire game but I don't think they have the resources for it. Iirc they cited authenticity as the reason but I'm not sure I beleive that.

If you were a snake, you'd have bit me. You are henceforth as Judas to me! ;)

I get the 'historical accuracy' excuse, but there were definitely women who picked up swords and kicked some ass back in those days. It's probably a cop-out from doing more work, and maybe a little bit of mostly-harmless male bias from the creators. Something along the lines of 'This was when MEN ran about with swords and armors and did MEN work!'

I'll wait for a mod.

Not wise to piss off the Chinese market. Battlefield taught that lesson.

So me and the BF bought Watchdogs yesterday since I'm out of work for a few days. I mostly watched him play it last night, and now picked up the controller for myself. It's kinda-sorta-good I guess. I can say definitively that if this is how sandbox games are gonna look for the next gen, I approve.

Yeah, I guess that's it.

As for watchdogs, I agree, I just hope other sandbox games are better optimized. Dont get me wrong it looks great but there is no reason it should be as demanding as it currently is. This is a pc only complaint though.

Warriors Orochi 3 continues to become cooler and cooler.

I was pumped when one fight

Achilles

showed up. Even if I haven't unlocked him yet it was cool. Then later

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden and Joan of Arc

and were playable. Very awesome. I'm sure some of the other characters are from elsewhere as well, but I'm not 100% sure where.

I'm currently working on increasing the bonds between some of the characters so I can unlock thier side missions.

Mortal Kombat X announced for 2015.

Deep inside me there's a 14 year old screaming with excitement and preparing to decapitate me and rip my spine out just to tell the world of his excitement.

Oh yeah. I loved the remake. I thought fighters died, but this game and more specifically Street Fighter 4, renewed my interest in them.

I never played the original. I do like the scenario though. Although highly unrealistic, it does seem cool.

They should have made it be China instead of Korea

Just like the recent Red Dawn movie remake and the recent Homefront videogame remake that this one is a sequel of, they chose not to do this because then it might not sell as well in China. Red Dawn, in particular, was going to be China. They changed it last minute.

Papers, Please. That game is sooo much fun, lol. My friend hates it because it reminds him of his job, but I think it's really cool. So many different endings and just fair warning - you'll probably lose quickly first time around. The first time I got caught for embezzlement really fast and practically my whole family died - second time around most of my family lived and I even got the "happy ending." Good stuff.

Archived