Orphan Black Take 2: Expect some differences from the Original

Sci-2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Glad to see I'm not the only Paul hater out there ! The character was all over the place, he felt like a mash-up of so many different ideas... almost like a GoT-composite character sometimes ! ^^

I think with Paul, it just seemed like they didn't have a very clear idea of exactly what they wanted to do with him. The consequence of that was that they tried to have him be everything, which made his character a bit messy

Not really a fan of the trailer (it looks and sounds like it's a remix of the actual trailer) but I'm excited nonetheless.

I agree about Paul. Him and Art were two characters they weren't sure what to do with.

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I'm not entirely done with s3 yet, but Alison and Donnie making it rain and twerking was one of the best parts of any TV show ever.

'One of'?

Well, I'll be Mr. Contrarian and say that Alison's and Donnie's bedroom scene was ridiculous, and not in the way that the director intended.

In general, I consider myself a superfan of OB's first season, having seen it numerous times, but season 3 is one of the worst letdowns a TV series has ever inflicted on me. The plot holes and retcons, the weird shifts in tone, the new characters that obviously were never part of the original plan, the old characters that obviously were never planned out ... it was garbage, simply put. I suppose that you can just sit back and enjoy Maslany for another round, but there's no defending the absurdities of season 3 that you start discovering if you do a minimum of reflecting.

Here's hoping that season 4 will be the result of meticulous planning and execution, and that this once great show can return to form before it's over.

1 minute ago, denstorebog said:

Well, I'll be Mr. Contrarian and say that Alison's and Donnie's bedroom scene was ridiculous, and not in the way that the director intended.

In general, I consider myself a superfan of OB's first season, having seen it numerous times, but season 3 is one of the worst letdowns a TV series has ever inflicted on me. The plot holes and retcons, the weird shifts in tone, the new characters that obviously were never part of the original plan, the old characters that obviously were never planned out ... it was garbage, simply put. I suppose that you can just sit back and enjoy Maslany for another round, but there's no defending the absurdities of season 3 that you start discovering if you do a minimum of reflecting.

Here's hoping that season 4 will be the result of meticulous planning and execution, and that this once great show can return to form before it's over.

Agreed. I thought last season was pretty bad quite. The show has declined each season.

I was pretty happy with Season 3. It wasn't as good or as tight as S1 - it's hard to top Helena as the lead antagonist no matter what, and that was pretty clear given that they brought her back. But I thought it moved quickly, had some nice mytharc development and brought in the CASTOR plot fairly cleanly. 

I also thought it transitioned better to the next set of big bads, carrying it through the season without dwelling on it for most of the season, setting up hints and areas about it and giving a nice set of layers of revelation. 

I do think that it does suffer a bit for being a bit too spread out. Again, the first season had very tight plotting, small groups of people and small groups of things. Not only do we have more clones than we started with, we have more of Sarah's family, more of Cosima's relationships and workers, more of Alison's friends, more of Helena, and we get the Castor part - and all we've cut in theory is Paul and Delphine. 

Yeah, I'm ready to say for sure that Delphine is *not* gone.

One thing that season 3 gave us was Crystal. I thought that the addition of an incompetent clone was interesting, and I suspect we'll see more of her soon (and that she'll turn out less incompetent). But apart from that - season 3 begone!

It was pretty clear that Krystal wasn't incompetent. Not at all. She had detailed a whole bunch of the weirdness that she had seen, was able to articulate it pretty well and knew something was up. If anything her flaw isn't a lack of competence, it's a lack of unreality. She doesn't want to believe that all this weird-ass shit is happening to her or that it could happen to her. She doesn't believe in coincidences, but can't imagine that there's some crazy conspiracy going on around her. She's basically like Sarah was before Sarah met Beth. 

Season 1 was legitimately amazing. Season 2 was significantly weaker, with a lack of focus and a lot of meandering around. Season 3 was, for me, a substantial step up over Season 2. There was a much greater plot focus, they tied all the mythology together instead of letting it sprawl and inventing tons of new shit, and having introduced the male clone plot they then resolved it with most satisfying rapidity and used that to forward the actually important backstory. After S2 I thought OB might be in danger of pulling a Lost or BSG and collapsing under the weight of its own guff, but they did excellent damage control and pulled off a very entertaining season. Not as good as S1, no, but not massively far off.

I do agree that the producers could probably have stood to have pinned down the long-form arc a bit better. They've said it was going to be five seasons, but it's clear that their overall arc was very loose and a lot of details were not settled ahead of time. The whole stuff with Paul not knowing Mark in S2 but hey then he knows about the male clones in Season 3 was clearly BS and the retconning around it was clumsy. That could have been done a bit better.

They should do more with Art as well. I quite liked him in S1 but since the end of the season he's just been the sisters' "cop ally" who shows up when needed and then vanishes when not needed. Given how big he was in early S1 it feel a bit of a disservice to the character and the actor (especially since he got offed on The Expanse as well).

Archived