Netflix's new epic drama - 'Marco Polo'

AncalagonTheBlack

I think the cast and crew, and producers, all feel a kinship with the 100 eyes character.  In the lead up to "100 eyes", much of the advertising was interviews with cast members about 100 eyes, and all of them LOVED that character, more so than any other.  Also, the original stunt man/double for 100 eyes went missing on the MH370 plane, so there is a lot of attention on the character because of the connection to a pretty big and recent story.

I felt they did a decent job with the 100 eyes prequel story, it wasn't perfect by any means, but decent.  I wonder about the female who threw the spear from the roof of the temple right when 100 eyes was finally capture, I bet we see something more about her in season 2.

I felt that season 1 was the most interesting new show of 2015, I was more than pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.  I enjoyed every aspect of it, and felt it was about time for an Asian based series and story to be told, and they picked a great historical figure and time.  I briefly worked for a large Asian film company and lived in Hong Kong back in 96 for 1/2 the year, Magnum Films (John Woo directed many of the films, and Chow Yun Fat was an actor in many like Hard Boiled and the Killer back then), so I have an affinity for films/stories from China and Hong Kong which developed since then.

I'm looking forward to the second season. This show is laughably awful, even worse than most network shows. It's like Marco Polo goes out of its way to be as bad as it's possible to get. When you ask yourself, how would I make this show even worse, the show answers that question by topping anything that you could have come up with yourself. Watching season one on your own must be the most excruciating experience, just shy of the kind of pain reserved for victims of a religious inquisition.

But watching this show with friends, with the proper amount of alcohol (ie lots), makes this an awesome, fun experience. Season one was hysterical, and probably the most fun I've had. I hope season 2 can live up to that experience.

1 hour ago, Humble AK said:

But watching this show with friends, with the proper amount of alcohol (ie lots), makes this an awesome, fun experience. Season one was hysterical, and probably the most fun I've had. I hope season 2 can live up to that experience.

This is why I'm sad it wasn't on over christmas - the best time to binge watch while in a constant haze from food and drink.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Excellent!  I'll enjoy this -- without snarking, just honest enjoyment of this historical drama -- as much as the first season.

I have to say that this one is like Outlander for me... It has its problems, but nonetheless, I enjoy watching it. 

All of them have problems for me, particularly in terms of narrative.  But some are worse, and some are FAR worse than others.

The worst are those that ignore historical facts, such as Roots, sending a man enslaved in the U.S. in the 1800's, to England, and he seems never to have learned during his decades there that in England chattle slavery was essentially abolished in 1772 via the Somersett Case -- and incidentally inflaming the North American southern slaverowners not a little (not the same as abolishing slavery in the British colonies, which didn't happen until 1833).

47 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I like summer releases.... there's not a whole lot on otherwise...So this gives us something to watch before September...

.... Hopefully the showrunner reads this forum and ups their game....lol

Let's hope not, if he reads my comments he's likely to hang himself :P And Netflix would probably keep on pestering us with this crapshow anyway, so it wouldn't make a differnce

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished season 2.  While perhaps not as many grand outdoor cinematographic and brilliant shots as season 1, the story was markedly improved, not that I found major fault in the 1st year, which I quite enjoyed.  A worthy successor to a good first season, I do hope they renew this program. 

Michelle Yeoh was added to the cast, she had a brief, as in an instant/eyeblink role in the "100 eyes" episode 6 months ago.  Another in what's become and ridiculously long line of the "strong female character" trope (yes, getting sick of this 120lb woman beating the dozen 200 lb men in physical combat in virtually every single film/show now...Brienne or Tarth syndrome I've begun calling it).  Despite this, she's an excellent actress, and had some great scenes, great wire fighting scenes as well, even if they are complete fiction compared to what would happen in reality - despite it being an overplayed SFC (strong female character) deal as per usual, were well done.

The final 2 episodes were fantastic. 

Watched 2 eps. Pretty good start. The fighting in ep was kinda ridiculous. However, the wedding was awsome. I wanted to watch the wedding more in fact and not watch the fighting. 

Liked the politics in ep. Also the Christians are great. The Khan remains fantastic and this show should really follow him at all times.

12 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Just finished season 2.  While perhaps not as many grand outdoor cinematographic and brilliant shots as season 1, the story was markedly improved, not that I found major fault in the 1st year, which I quite enjoyed.  A worthy successor to a good first season, I do hope they renew this program. 

Michelle Yeoh was added to the cast, she had a brief, as in an instant/eyeblink role in the "100 eyes" episode 6 months ago.  Another in what's become and ridiculously long line of the "strong female character" trope (yes, getting sick of this 120lb woman beating the dozen 200 lb men in physical combat in virtually every single film/show now...Brienne or Tarth syndrome I've begun calling it).  Despite this, she's an excellent actress, and had some great scenes, great wire fighting scenes as well, even if they are complete fiction compared to what would happen in reality - despite it being an overplayed SFC (strong female character) deal as per usual, were well done.

The final 2 episodes were fantastic. 

Brienne of tarth syndrome, when she isn't 120 pounds? Weird naming system you got there.

You guys watched the whole thing already? How do you have the time?.

I just began watching last night and like it at least as much as season 1 so far.  I do not get people saying this is the worst of the worst of tv.

As we see, here, some people make fun of this series, not because of historical inaccuracies (which in truth are fewer than might be, though the romance elements are entirely fictional), but because they hate the character of Marco Polo, and the actor who plays him. I like Polo, and the series as a whole.

The music is original and very good, used very well, both theme and source. The locations are interesting and gorgeous (Malaysia, Kazakhstan and Italy -- Lionsgate couldn't get Chinese permission to shoot there). The costuming is lavish, sumptuous, and so beautiful. 

The power, locally political and geopolitical maneuvering, the backstabbing and plotting make Got look a piker -- but that's shooting fish in a barrel. The plotting is quite good. The dialog maybe not so well written, but that will be the case since it's dialog geared to be understood in many languages. 

That wuxia fighting takes place, that's unhistorical, duh, and pure fantasy -- but is an Asian historical, geared to appeal around the world. In this context Michelle Yeoh makes sense joining the cast.

The cast is talented -- just not predominately 'white', and they don't necessarily all adhere to USian idea of tv and movie acting. As far as strong female figures, we have a variety of them, including the Khan's #1 wife -- she's great as an actress and as a character. Lots of people think the blind marital arts master is silly, but, with the short series prequel streamed earlier this year, it's less so. It works. At least he's a character who is enjoyable and interesting.

All actors are as interesting to look at as the characters they play. That child, how he played the role of the tiny Chinese boy emperor, was so impressive. Almost all the cast is Asian of whatever heritage -- Kublai Khan's actor is English-Chinese, Benedict Wong. He's splendid in the role everyone agrees, including those who hate the young Italian playing Polo. 

IOW it's a pretty terrific adventure martial arts historical fiction that I at least enjoy a lot. It's perfect, in fact, for what I like to watch. 

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

You guys watched the whole thing already? How do you have the time?.

The question we don't ask around here ;)

OK, watched two episodes... The kid playing the Emperor was amazing... Absolutely amazing.

Spoiler

Although it seems that killing children is all the rave on US TV these days 

Liked the first two episodes... Will see about the next ones...

Archived