Confessions from 2014

DreamSongs

I confess that I have made Arthur Dayne quotes multiple times at work, and they never end well.

I walked up the stairs with a group of fellow workers, and one of them said that he couldn't believe work was starting again after our lunch break.

"And so it begins." One of them had the mistake of saying.

Without a second thought, I yelled, "NO. NOW IT ENDS." and I kicked him down the stairs. Now conversations are rather awkward.

I also had the awkward moment of this one employee that I can't stand walking up to me and telling me he wanted my coffee that I had just bought. I ignored him, then he said it yet again.

I stared at him, then said, "Then you shall have it, ser." and I spilled it on his head.

It was iced coffee, so he wasn't burnt. Kinda wish it was though.

I confess that I have made Arthur Dayne quotes multiple times at work, and they never end well.

I walked up the stairs with a group of fellow workers, and one of them said that he couldn't believe work was starting again after our lunch break.

"And so it begins." One of them had the mistake of saying.

Without a second thought, I yelled, "NO. NOW IT ENDS." and I kicked him down the stairs. Now conversations are rather awkward.

I also had the awkward moment of this one employee that I can't stand walking up to me and telling me he wanted my coffee that I had just bought. I ignored him, then he said it yet again.

I stared at him, then said, "Then you shall have it, ser." and I spilled it on his head.

It was iced coffee, so he wasn't burnt. Kinda wish it was though.

:lmao: Oh god, I hope this is true. People are staring at me in the library right now because I'm laughing so hard.

1.) I confess I have a great dislike for the Tyrells. Not directely for all the family members, more the House itself. I like -besides Arryn- every Great House WAY more than them.

I dislike them for having and being everything. The most fertile and richest lands, wealth, youth, beautiful looks, good family dynamics (I know, it's unfair), strong bannermen, so far working politics, aso.

I dislike them for allying with the Lannisters.

I dislike them for being totally Targ-supporters, but just until the Rebellion.

I dislike them for having Highgarden, though the Florents should possess it by rights.

I just dislike them so much for being so opportunistic and at the same time always super nice and beloved and beautiful and great and everything.

I basically dislike them because I don't know what they really want. Just power/the throne/rise? Well, that doesn't really help me liking them. I never really knew what to think about Margaery - dutiful, sweet daughter who helps her family to rise or opportunistic, power-hungry girl? Does she really want to be queen so much? Well, if HBO's Marg is meant to be Book!Marg then this reveal definitely didn't help to making her grow on me.

But maybe it's just the fact that they don't have a POV. That they -so far- didn't suffer such losses (in relation to others). That I can't see "inside" them.

I love characters who fail, make mistakes, do sometimes really bad shit, or even have a terrible personality, but I can see "where they/it came from". I love e.g. Stannis, Jaime, Theon, because of their development, but also BECAUSE of their flaws and because I can understand their personalities and how they became who they are.

I don't get this feeling with the Tyrells (except Loras, who I actually somehow like); don't know if I'd love to read a Tyrell-POV chapter... but it would be helpful.

Maybe when they begin to really suffer (okay, they already began with Loras deadly injured and Marg arrested), and have a reversal of their happy situation I'll begin to like them more.

Maybe I've just a dislike for always nice, beautiful, schemers and opportunistic people.

I just prefer usually the plain, serious, blunt, unbeloved guys and whose who, when they stab you, they stab you directely in the front and not in the back (I don't like any of the schemers as LF or Varys, although I found them often quite entertaining).

2.) I don't like Arya's development and her becoming a Faceless Woman (and don't root for her to kill everybody she wants).

3.) Proud defender of every Ironborn chapter! :commie:

4.) Even as huge Stannis-Fan and Dany-Disliker, I'd love to read an Alternative Universe chapter where Stannerys is real and they discover all their similariries and learn from each other and from their differences and have a hilarious, loveless, political marriage (which makes them unstoppable)... until they're tired of arguing ("I'LL TAKE BACK WHAT IS MINE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD!!!" vs. "IT'S MINE BY RIGHT, THEY'LL BEND THE KNEE OR I'LL DESTROY THEM!" 24 h a day) and try to kill each other...

Yep.

Also, people using 21st century standards to judge the characters are completely annoying.

Yes. I have noticed the plethora of viewers only who have flocked to Dany's banner with the claim that "she freed slaves, I could care less what she does because she freed slaves; slavery is wrong".

Yes. I have noticed the plethora of viewers only who have flocked to Dany's banner with the claim that "she freed slaves, I could care less what she does because she freed slaves; slavery is wrong".

That also bothers me. Freeing the slaves doesn't make her a compassionate and kind ruler...she still commits her fair share of atrocities and blunders. "...but she freed slaves!"

:facepalm:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to go all social justice warrior on anyone, just some of the responses on the Shae threads make me genuinely sad for society. If you think Shae is a bad person, that's fine, I'm not saying she's Mary Sunshine or anything. Just that her murder was in fact murder, done from a bruised ego, and not some form of justice.

Tyrion did not have the right to withhold payment and trap her in a menial job while still expecting sex. He did not have the right to hit her. He did not have the right to kill her. Shae is as much a person (within the story) as Tyrion, and is just as much in the right to do what's best for her as he's in the right to do what's best for him- so long as they're not killing people.

I don't think anyone has to like a character because of what's between their legs, but there are a lot of double standards regarding how women and men are perceived and judged for similar actions.

I actually don't have a problem with Shae's death. For one it is fiction....

Aside from that Tyrion had been locked away in a very dark place. He snapped.

But that's the thing, it's not about "promiscuity" really. It's about a person who chose to be Queen, yet commits treason, and expects to get away with it because she thinks she's untouchable. Cersei's sexual behavior is not really promiscuous, but it is a risk taking behavior, which is a symptom of mental illness.

Yes, some people ruined the thread by being misogynistic, but overall the topic has merit. It sucks when interesting topics get ruined by people being out of line. Cersei is crazy. Cersei's behaviors involving sex are a direct indication of her craziness simply because she is Queen and commuting treason and expects to get away with it.

Promiscuity is a culturally defined term, so there is no right or wrong answer to what is and is not promiscuous.

Yes!!!!! :bang:

:agree: Historians do not write history based on their moral views (well the good ones do not), they write it according to the world they are writing about. You will not see a reputable historian blasting slavery for 400 pages, rather he/she will spend the time discussing why it occurred, the economics of it, etc. (Modern history the exception, they have a huge problem with writing on the 20/21st century without removing their beliefs. It is not history anymore, it becomes reduced garbage resembling one agenda or another. I think the same should be held for this novel, well I think any political views, moral views, etc should be left out altogether because this is a work of fiction.... Aside from that, when discussing a novel based on medieval people, and Medieval England at that, the discussion should be kept in context with the world it is based on. People in Medieval England adhered to arranged marriages for a number of reason, none of which (despite what some people think) are actually misogynistic. There are things people do now that will be judged harshly in 1000 years, but we all continue to partake in whatever it is because it is something we were brought up around. The same can be said for people living in the medieval world.

It make be hard for some to stomach, but that is just how life was. People accepted their world and the things in it as "this is just apart of life". Transformations do happen, but not until people have a chance to look at things critically and assess them. Having said that, it makes very little sense to reduce the slavers to evil cretins because they owned slaves. Slavery was apart of their life, their means of survival, and how their cities functioned. As a 21st century person, we can argue that slavery is nasty. Our mistake would be arguing that those people (fictional or not) are evil and destructive to society based on our views of how society should be run. In most modern states, the idea of killing one's political rival would be appalling, so considering the Frey's repugnant based on our own understanding of social behavior is ridiculous. Hating the Frey's because they killed Robb is completely reasonable, hating them because you think murder for power is evil is just unreasonable. Again CONTEXT is everything. Different world, different rules, different understanding of life.

Here is an example that I find quite interesting as I listen to people (not on here per se). Many people want their governments to stay out of the world's business. Whatever happens elsewhere might be bad, but it is not "our job to step in"; however, when discussing institutions of a non-fictional/fictional world in a very distant past, suddenly it isn't about staying within one's borders but crossing over and forcing one to see the light. I.E. Dany's march around the free cities freeing slaves. She is not a individual of those cities, what right does she have to tell them to live? Or some seem to believe Tyrion is evil for keeping poor, poor Shae and then murdering her, but disregard the mental trauma he was just served by his family. Historically, concubines were both accepted and desired positions in the medieval and early modern world. The concubine gained much more wealth then she would have as a common street whore or peasant. These women in the medieval/early modern world received significant sums of money, were taken care of etc. The role of concubine was actually sought after and was greatly desired. If Shae were a Medieval woman (as in real) she would have desired to be walled up with the one of Somerset's sons or in London. If we are discussing the Muslim world, a place in the royal Harem would have been much desired. In a world where factories did not produce food, etc, a woman who be a concubine would find plenty of nourishment, safety, and the enjoyment of luxurious gifts much more compelling than village life. We might find this way of life sad and sadistic, but for most of us living in the modern world especially those of us in wealthy nations, we cannot comprehend how our medieval counterparts lived and the things they struggled with. If you could become a slave and work in a royal/noble house, it was much better than most options available. I can go on and on, but I will not.

-Despite Stannis being one of the most relatable, understandable, and best written characters to me from a situational/personality standpoint, I still refuse to call myself a Stannis fan .... because seriously his fans are quite possibly the worst.

-Tyrion's show whitewashing, is turning me against book Tyrion and Stannis' Show ehh... ¿blackwashing? is making me hope he actually ends up on the Iron chair, just to spite the rest of the show Planetos. I don't like being spoonfed black and white versions of what where fantastically grey characters.

-If Dany and Arya aren't in Westeros or doing something important by the end of the next book, I'll pretty much have given up on them entirely.

-I hate it when people qualify Tyrion as "the good Lannister" : not only the term is ridiculous, but I find the idea behind it inaccurate as well.

- People feeling entitled to use misogynistic slurs/statements when it comes to Cersei because "she's a bad person so who cares" need to get out.

- I don't care about R+L= J. I like Jon enough as he is, I don't need him to be a special snowflake.

- Being naive =/= being idealistic.

I hate the ragnarok theory with the fury of a red hot sun star.

I appreciate some of the guy's efforts, but I'm getting really tired of hearing about the Meereenese Blot as if its the end all, be all of aDwD interpretations.

Archived