Confessions from 2014

DreamSongs

I confess that I feel like we should cancel HBO TV show and let Ramin Djawadi do "A song of Ice and Fire" symphony or opera... His music is so beautiful.

I would find a ASOIAF opera/ballet interesting to watch.

Meh, I think both actors are okay thus their acting is not the problem. The problem is I just think that it took up time that could be spent better else where. Also, the fact that I don't care for either characters in the book series means it is hard to care about them in the show at times.

I dig. This is why i feel that the show and Dany's arc is suffering without Strong Belwas.

I dig. This is why i feel that the show and Dany's arc is suffering without Strong Belwas.

I don't mind that they cut Strong Belwas, in how he isn't that important in my opinion.

First, I didn't say you said that, I was making general statement about that. Apologies if that sounded that way. And, btw, I never called you religious fanatic... I don't think of people as religious fanatics :) Except if they are High Septon :)

For me, bad deed is a bad deed. No matter whether the person is good or right, I do believe that every human being deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, which was lacking in this case. As I said, I hate Cersei, but I can't pretend that what was done to her is right. That is how I feel about that... No matter whether we discuss Sansa or Cersei in this case, my favorite and my least favorite, they are the same. That is my point. No woman deserves to be punished for sexual life (regardless whether she is horrible human being)

I must have missed that post where someone says that I can't look at female characters other than with sympathy. I hate Cersei, but this is question of principle. Plus, you should hear me discuss many other female characters. I have positive feelings for some and for some I truly think the worst.

This is not about Cersei apologia. This is just opinion on the very controversial and divisive matter.

Again, I am sorry if my post came out as accusatory to you. It wasn't my attention...

Eh, for me, this is fantasy. This is fiction. In fantasy and fiction, I am allowed to outright hate a character and not feel sorry for him or her...and in this case, I hate Cersei. She's a malicious, paranoid, power-hungry bitch who will never get all of the punishment she deserves for the crimes she has committed. They could give her the Theon treatment, and I wouldn't blink an eye.

I reserve my outrage for real-life, and there are shades of grey in real-life.

No, I'm not saying that you have to like what happened to Cersei, but I think it is just as acceptable to be fine with what happened to Cersei without approving of that sort of thing in real life.

Just my two-cents.

But i gave a snot about him. lol

Oh, I understand why some people might be sad that he is cut. Only personally, I see him similar to Vargo Hoat of a fun character but not really needed.

Tysha on the otherhand..... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Hai. Please be more careful making statements like this, because of what its really assuming. That Americans lack morals in general.. That can be a very problematic mindset and rather offensive to some posters. Just kinda pointing that out.

I just picked the most Western country I could think of without rounding back to Japan.. :D

Meh, I think both actors are okay thus their acting is not the problem. The problem is I just think that it took up time that could be spent better else where. Also, the fact that I don't care for either characters in the book series means it is hard to care about them in the show at times.

I agree. In my case it's not like I dislike the characters or the acting but really in a show with such magnitude that really comes off as unnecessary. Even some Unsullied see that. There will be (or at least should be) an explosion of new storylines season 5 and they really didn't need to force themselves to deal with a new romance, specially considering that they aren't very good in that department (Tyrion/ Shae, Robb/ Talisa, Jon/ Ygritte). It's really frustrating that Daario and Missandei are already promoted to main cast because neither of them are pivotal characters in the books specially the former and other actors who play interesting and important characters remain in the recurring cast for the time being.

My confessions:

- Don't get me wrong I like the show and I'm grateful for it but it's a pity (for me) to realize that D&D are diametrically opposed to me in terms of characters' preference and bias. Really frustrated with the amount of Lannister in season 4. We really didn't need so much added scenes. They are clearly the protagonists of the story now.

- Really glad Tywin Lannister is dead and Charles Dance is out of the show. The actor is great but Tywin's importance was so overblown by D&D and his supposed "wisdom" so played up that I started to feel positively disgusted whenever he (the character) showed up in the show. Even after his humiliating death D&D had to start the Inside the episode scene's analysis saying: "What is so great about Tywin Lannister is..." So great!? The guy died while shitting and was so arrogant and delusional that he couldn't even realize his son was about to kill him! That really dismantled their previous comment that Tywin is always rational and stuff. He is not, he can be completely irrational and blind sometimes.

- Really glad Tywin Lannister is dead and Charles Dance is out of the show. The actor is great but Tywin's importance was so overblown by D&D and his supposed "wisdom" so played up that I started to feel positively disgusted whenever he (the character) showed up in the show. Even after his humiliating death D&D had to start the Inside the episode scene's analysis saying: "What is so great about Tywin Lannister is..." So great!? The guy died while shitting and was so arrogant and delusional that he couldn't even realize his son was about to kill him! That really dismantled their previous comment that Tywin is always rational and stuff. He is not, he can be completely irrational and blind sometimes.

I hear that they questioned rather or not Tywin was all that bad of a person, which must be why they dropped Tysha from the story.

Sort of my feeling. My first thought was 'interesting idea if there was a lot more time to explore it, but as is it comes off gimmicky.'

I hear that they questioned rather or not Tywin was all that bad of a person, which must be why they dropped Tysha from the story.

They didn't drop her, in season 1 when Tyrion is playing the drinking game with Bronn and Shae he tells the story. Plus there have been other minor mentions of her here and there.

She wasn't dropped, just not mentioned in the last episode. For me, Show!Tywin is definitely still a villain overall, just a less stupid one than usual. And why shouldn't the producers of the show toy with the idea he wasn't Sauron incarnate and that there was at least some good to him? Isn't the show panned by people (not necessarily you) for being less deep than the books morality wise?

"Show, don't tell." That's how it is in film. Showing the relationship between Shae and Tyrion is worth 100 stories about Tysha.

It not about their preference, it's about being practical in the medium in which they work.

He did rape Cersei, unless there is another word for non-consensual intercourse. Think of Sansa and Tyrion for second. So, should we blame Sansa for not spreading her legs to Tyrion? Why Tyrion knows it is bad to force yourself on the bride? So, did Tyrion do something commendable or not? Because following that logic, he did something bad.

Every lady in Westeros is obligated to open her legs for their husband, wanting it or not: Elia Martel, Cat, Lysa, Olenna, Margaery (well, kinda)... some husbands are smart enough to know that it's better to be in peace with them and make the whole thing a good experience for everybody, some others are assholes. Had Sansa been a little older, he wouldn't have stopped, I think/hope.

But yeah, this is not the topic for this, we're OT, and in any way, any of us think rape or any kind of forced situation is good.

They didn't drop her, in season 1 when Tyrion is playing the drinking game with Bronn and Shae he tells the story. Plus there have been other minor mentions of her here and there.

Dropping Jaime's big reveal is basically dropping her.

"Show, don't tell." That's how it is in film. Showing the relationship between Shae and Tyrion is worth 100 stories about Tysha.

It not about their preference, it's about being practical in the medium in which they work.

Please, the Shae/Tyrion relationship was some of the worst writing in the show and they could easily explored Tysha if they dropped the shitty beetle story.

Please, the Shae/Tyrion relationship was some of the worst writing in the show and they could easily explored Tysha if they dropped the shitty beetle story.

The viewers aren't going to connect with or get enraged about someone they've never seen and only heard about on occasion. The viewers connected with Shae and Tyrion, because they could SEE that they loved one another. What's an example of the 'bad writing', btw?

Why do you say the writing was so bad? What didn't they cover that was important to Tyrions story? I think they covered it pretty well, all the main points at least. I think what people miss is that Tysha isn't an important character at all. The important characters are tyrion and Jamie. Even Tywin is a pretty flat character, added to move the story forward as a plot device and catalyst in the changes of more primary characters (his children).

The viewers aren't going to connect with or get enraged about someone they've never seen and only heard about on occasion. The viewers connected with Shae and Tyrion, because they could SEE that they loved one another. What's an example of the 'bad writing', btw?

Agreed

On re-reading the books I didn't see that Shae really loved Tyrion. It was all an act bc she loved the prestige and the jewels and wanted just to be beautiful and seen at court (the worst kind of vanity a person can exhibit IMO).

The importance of Tysha in the books is that she showed someone could really love Tyrion as a person and how Tywin (and Jamie to an extent) robbed Tyrion of that.

By making Shae love Tyrion in the show they combined Shae and Tysha which was a smart move bc they would've had no way of showing the Tyrion/Tysha relationship, making it less powerful.

Tl;dr - I agree, they had to SHOW someone loving Tyrion, and Shae was the only option.

Archived