Confessions from 2014

DreamSongs

Yeah this is actually why im not arsed about Tysha in the show. Shae composited the very idea of Tysha and i believe this is why Shae's behavior in the show was different from her book counterpart. By portraying her as actually having genuine feelings for Tyrion, Shae sort of becomes Tysha. This is why i felt that Tyrion getting angry at Tywin about using the word "whore" was still relevant. Tyrion called her that, but he hated doing so with every fiber of his being. Even during the trial. So yeah... :dunno:

While, I can understand some of these arguments I still stand by my anger and disappointment for my own reasons. Thus, IMHO dropping her still basically ruined the episode for me.

When I first started reading these forums, the posts usually contained quotes from the text to support their views - now people tend to post their views/popular views as if they are canon. I confess that I miss the textual references.

My confession is that im just too damn lazy to post text and will post it if i can actually remember it right off the top of my head. And since ive discussed so much, i often find that going to all the trouble of grabbing a text quote can get wasted if people are just all "no." So i will only bother with it if i really need to make a point that people just arent grasping.

This happens to me, too! Thanks to GRRM, I have a low option about many tv series, because it feels unrealistic, childish and cheap...

I find this kind of strange. While GRRM's work has made me appreciate certain kinds of characters and storytelling, it hasnt ruined any other works for me.

Actually yeah, another pet peeve confession: sometimes this place can be really problematic

Agreed.

While, I can understand some of these arguments I still stand by my anger and disappointment for my own reasons. Thus, IMHO dropping her still basically ruined the episode for me.

I dig. There were a bunch of people with the opinion that it cheapened both Jaime and Tyrion. I cant really agree with that but yeah.

Its back a few pages so idk if it's still being argued but the septas say things like "this sinner has committed fornication s!"

I hate Cersei as much as anyone but the WoS is 100% unquestionably sexist. And just because Cersei is sexistdoesn't mean sexist acts are ok to punish her with. If her head is chopped by ilyn for her crimes I'll laugh as it rolls but I'll never again take joy from reading the WoS

I also have irrational love for everyone and everything Northern (except for certain house of flayers) and will cheer for them against anyone else.

:agree:I'll be a Stark-stan until the end. I don't even care which Stark (and that includes you, Jon Snow), as long as someone with that last name is ruling from Winterfell at the end. Corollary: the amount of blame Ned, Robb, and/or Catelyn Stark get for events in Westeros is astounding!

Other Confessions:

1. GoT was tedious to read (and I read 35-40 books annually) and have not gotten through another one. I randomly read chapters for specific events (e.g. the Red Wedding. "Edd, fetch me a block", Blackwater) and that's it.

I don't blame Hoster Tully for Lysa's life outcome.

This universe has revealed a side of myself that's really disturbing, i.e., my capacity for unrestricted vengeance and hatred. I loved Ned Stark because he tempered justice with mercy (if nothing else, the deserters got to say their last words and get a clean death at their condemner's skilled hand). Yet, I want all Lannisters and Freys dead. Every. single. one. Even though they aren't even real: valar morghulis with extreme prejudice.

Fanfiction got me to the books/show/this forum (didn't know about GRRM's disapproval--oh well). Several are as intricately plotted and well-written as canon.

LF needs to die, but I want him to sit on the IT and think "why I'd fight so hard for this sh&^t" before he does.

Tywin Lannister's death was epic but I wanted more spectacular. I can't articulate what I wanted, except a bigger audience.

Robert Baratheon was a problem. It's sad when your peak moment was smashing a weapon through someone's chest as a late teen.

I hope Edmure Tully makes it to the end. Ditto Blackfish and Davos. Everyone else can go, except the obligatory Stark for Winterfell (see confession #1).

Theon has a ways to go for redemption, but man, did GRRM did a fantastic job making me empathic to someone who betrayed my Starks. I guess losing body parts and aging 40 years due to torture can melt this heart.

I dislike how GoT (TV) is really the Tyrion Lannister show, i.e., I think season 4 was one big "for your consideration" for another Emmy for Peter Dinklage.

My like of Robb Stark the character is heavily influenced by Richard Madden's portrayal (and his beard).

I confess I've realised why I dislike the latest crackpot theories about identities, it'snot because they're crackpots... it's due to the ones behind them and the reaction to the most stable ones.

For example, take RLJ. It's, let's say, the biggest mystery of the series. And, it has been cracked already. It's not as "obvious" as some think it is, actually. Many readers I know haven't yet figured it out and I didn't myself when I first read.

So, everybody wants to jump onto the cracking mysteries bandwagon, "yeah, if they figured it out, I can too! I smart!", and they start to not only try to look up for clues and hints, which we all do, but even forcing them until the point of inventing them or really REALLY scratching the stones, specially with "X is actually Y". Because "X is actually Y" are the WORST of the theories... and it's the worst because Martin is more obvious than people give him credit for.

For example, we have Arstan Whitebeard. Barristan... Arstan... Whitebeard. Why didn't he go and introduced himself as Barry McGuard the BOld?? Then, we have Griff. GRIFF!! Because Griff, bless him, I really love him, but come one... it's the WORST undercover name... "Yeah, I'm Griff and totally not the exiled lord Connington, Lord of the GRIFFin's Roost which sigil are two GRIFFins that Jaime mentioned one book ago, and I'm totally not in hiding despite my hair is blue and my so so real son is anything like me at all".

And then, we have Alleras. ALLERAS, FFS

Honestly, if Mance is actually Rhaegar, he wouldn't be Mance Ryder but some shitty stupid obvious name like Dracus von Harpist...

1. Robert Baratheon was a problem. It's sad when your peak moment was smashing a weapon through someone's chest as a late teen.

Agree with this.

Why does some people have a problem with this Linda chick helping to write this book?

I would suggest a good google search. Or you can PM me.

Wow. LOL. Never knew.

SanSan annoys me but I wonder where are some its ardents supporters (Brashcandy, Kittykatnits....).

I hate "Best Fighter/Warrior" threads.

The antagonism between Stannis fans and Danaerys's has become ridiculous. I suspect there are some trolls who fuel the fire for fun.

I don't care if the series gives us the ending. I don't mind being spoiled. It would be a good thing actually: less stress about the upcoming books.

When i first began the series, i was unattuned to the good guys, not always winning. Furthermore, just the basic concept, of killing off a MAIN character? MULTIPLE main characters? unheard of in my experience reading and watching.

And now, everything else i read or watch, just seems so.... predictable. pathetically predictable. I used to enjoy that show, Once Upon A Time, when it started, and then i realized, no one actually dies in that series. Like with other series. They may tease the death of a main character, perhaps even kill them, but they always come back, just in time for a happy ending.

It's unrealistic.

George has ruined all other works for me with his unpredictability. I cant measure anything else up to it because of this.

im a sweet, sweet summer child. green.

agreed!

I know it's not fair to do so but I end up comparing everything to asoiaf, and it's ruining everything else now.

Also, asoiaf and this website have gotten me into a fun yet bad habit of accidently analysing every single part of books, the plot, characters, what a teeny thing could have meant. It's making it much more interesting, but at times I feel like I'm doing english in school again haha

agreed!

I know it's not fair to do so but I end up comparing everything to asoiaf, and it's ruining everything else now.

Also, asoiaf and this website have gotten me into a fun yet bad habit of accidently analysing every single part of books, the plot, characters, what a teeny thing could have meant. It's making it much more interesting, but at times I feel like I'm doing english in school again haha

...the author has here used the blue wall of his bedroom to clearly represent a deep, dark depression rooted in his dissatisfaction in both his marriage and his low-skilled job....

:D

I like Jon. But he was boring in aCoK, aSoS. Tbh the Wall storyline is not that interesting, even after 5 books the things that we know about the Others is next to nothing. But I'm sure the things will get interesting. I liked his chapters in aDwD.

His character is ok, but not interesting and I don't think he's that important. Everyone around here tries to fit every single prophecy to him...

aFfC and aDwD were build-up books, I mean what were you expecting after aSoS, it took 2 books to have all that shitstorm in aSos, you gotta wait, I'm sure that we will all enjoy tWoW and aDoS.

Yes Dany IX is awesome but my favorite is Bran II. Shame the show butchered it

Bran II and Bran III are both very good imo,but I went for Bran III as my favourite because, well, Bloodraven :D .

Do not speak to me of that 'adaptation' :angry:

Archived