Confessions from 2014

DreamSongs

Pet peeve confessions confessions confessions...

1) I'm already apprehensive about the new threads that will appear on the General ASOIAF forum after a new episode airs next season with changes from the book or spoilers in a certain character's arc, asking what we can surmise for the books from the change, because, I confess, I loathe those threads.

2) Sometimes I see misogyny leech really casually into a conversation about given characters and I just like clench my jaw and grind my teeth like Stannis u no?

Pet peeve confessions confessions confessions...

1) I'm already apprehensive about the new threads that will appear on the General ASOIAF forum after a new episode airs next season with changes from the book or spoilers in a certain character's arc, asking what we can surmise for the books from the change, because, I confess, I loathe those threads.

And then when you mention you haven't watched the show yet and would appreciate if they keep that to the show-forums and get told: "Well you should stay off the forum till you have seen it then!" :rolleyes:

Man, I miss Renlyisnotright. Who else made awesome Axell Florent threads. We were working on a Darkstar collaboration thread but unfortunately he has been awol and it was never finished.

I remember him having some Darkstar is so cheesy that he's awesome posts that I found truly hilarious and witty. Despite being Darkstar hater, I confess I laughed for quite a some time :D

And then when you mention you haven't watched the show yet and would appreciate if they keep that to the show-forums and get told: "Well you should stay off the forum till you have seen it then!" :rolleyes:

Yuuuuuuuuup! Definitely eye rolling material ;)

OH HELL YEAH!!!

What happened to this being books-only, anyway?

Yes!!!!! :bang:

I don't have a problem with applying 21st century morals. I have a problem with doing it selectively. Like slavery and slavers, wrong. Serfdom imposed by death penalty, right. Marital rape, wrong. Being killed or tortured for failing to uphold an oath, right. Forcing your kids to marry for political reasons, wrong. Blood basis for the right of political power, upheld by the sword, right.

Etc.

Alright, confession time:

- I haven't felt invested in anything Arya has done since parting ways with Jaqen.

- Despite pushing Bran and everything he has done with his sister, I think of Jaime as a good guy and root for him in everything he does.

- I honestly like almost all the changes the showrunners have made from the books and think some of their decisions are better than Martin's (having Arya meeting Brienne for an example)

My Confessions

I'm glad Martin writes these books because I hate everybody's likes, wants, etc.....

I don't pity Cersei and her WOS. I remember how she forced Ned to confess falsely and how she had him locked in the black cells with a broken leg for no reason for days without word on his daughters or anything and than I continue to hate that stank evil b!tch more.

I want Myrcella and Tommen to die in a very gruesome violent way right in front of Cersei

I want Mace and Loras to die.

I want Dragonstone back in the Targaryens hands when it's all said and done.

Yep.

Also, people using 21st century standards to judge the characters are completely annoying.

Yes, anachronisms are thrown around far too often in many discussions.

I also must admit it really makes me angry when people assume polygymy is inherently evil. I personally don't support it but its still a practice that goes on today with cultural roots many of us could never fully understand or appreciate.

Yep.Also, people using 21st century standards to judge the characters are completely annoying.

You mean 21st century standards such as "Treat other people as you'd want to be treated"? ;)

"Unsullied" dates back to at least January of 2013. I remember the term a lot from S3. This was pre-Red Wedding, so it seems more like a reference to them not being "ruined" of the big moments yet. It's not elitism, although why use that term like its a bad thing? ;)

I'd advocate for making the general forum like the show forum next year, posts with only mod approval. It'd both limit show spoilers and a thousand of the typical threads we get.

"Unsullied" dates back to at least January of 2013. I remember the term a lot from S3. This was pre-Red Wedding, so it seems more like a reference to them not being "ruined" of the big moments yet. It's not elitism, although why use that term like its a bad thing? ;)

I'd advocate for making the general forum like the show forum next year, posts with only mod approval. It'd both limit show spoilers and a thousand of the typical threads we get.

I have only become aware of it in the past few weeks.

It's not a good look for us, IMO. This is my first participation in a full-on dorkdom, so maybe I just don't know my way around. :(

Remove the strikeout and I completely agree.

As to the bolded, yes, yes, one thousand times YES! Lysa is a victim almost her entire life. What we see from a Game of Thrones onwards is a result of years of trauma and misery and manipulation from a man she is completely infatuated with. Does she do some terrible things? Yes. But the blame imo should be directed to the men responsible for this; Hoster Tully and Littlefinger. I don't really blame Jon Arryn for her though. Littlefinger rubbing salt in the wound by crushing her spirit and revealing he never loved her before killing her was despicable imo...

I'm so happy I'm not alone! :D :commie:

:)

Lysa has done things that are horrible, and I don't think that the horrible thing that her father forced her to do is an excuse for her attitude towards her sister and her sister's family.

Still I feel sorry for her and the sequence of events that she was unable to prevent-the pregnancy, the abortion, the marriage to Jon, the miscarriages and the stillborns...

It's amazing how LF managed to look like the good guy when he killed her :mellow:

The Sand Snakes are idiots (except Sarella), and Oberyn was idiotic to an extent. If it wasn't for Doran, they would have destroyed Dorne. Doran is the Martell that should always be in charge, and I fear for Dorne if something happens to him.

I think Lem is an abhorrent douchebag, and I want Jaime to come out of his encounter with the BwB alive, not only because I like him, but because I hate Lem. Lem can die a grizzly Amory Lorch death for all I care (pun slightly intended).

I absolutely agree about the Sand Snakes and about Doran. Oberyn might not have been the brightest but at least he co-operated with his brother, to a certain extent. Without Doran, Dorne is doomed.

But why the hatred for Lem? Are you by any chance familiar with the theory Lem=Richard Lonmouth?

Also I confess that I am mostly indiferrent towards Stannis. People seem to love or hate him with extreme prejudice but I don't really care for him.

I find the two Walders in Winterfell to be particularly creepy, for 8 year olds they appear to be quite mature.

I confess I want to see her, Tommen, Myrcella, and Shireen (And the other kids like Arya, Devan, and more...) be close friends and just somehow become innocent again.

All I want for those kids is to find a garden and stay there and play anything apart from the Game of Thrones. It would be amazing if Hodor helps them built the garden and say "It is your garden now, little children"

It annoys me when I'm accused of applying 21st century western ideals because my moral system comes from my parents, one of whom is from New Delhi-and you haven't seen horrible, orthodox conservatives until you've seen New Delhi-and grew up in tiny village in India and the other's from Bihar. I grew up in Saudi Arabia and most of my early morality grew from Enid Blyton, Disney, Bollywood and Victorian literature.

Y'all, if I'm making higher moral demands than the average resident of the Land of the Free, maybe I'm not the one with the problem.

My Confessions

I'm glad Martin writes these books because I hate everybody's likes, wants, etc.....

I don't pity Cersei and her WOS. I remember how she forced Ned to confess falsely and how she had him locked in the black cells with a broken leg for no reason for days without word on his daughters or anything and than I continue to hate that stank evil b!tch more.

I want Myrcella and Tommen to die in a very gruesome violent way right in front of Cersei

I want Mace and Loras to die.

I want Dragonstone back in the Targaryens hands when it's all said and done.

I don't either.

She CHOSE to do it after all.

Oh, and why did she CHOOSE to do it?

Because she could get her champion.

I’ll be back with Tommen, in my own chambers inside Maegor’s Holdfast.Her uncle said it was the only way to save herself. Was it, though? She could not trust her uncle, no more than she trusted this High Septon.I could still refuse. I could still insist upon my innocence and hazard all upon a trial. But she dare not let the Faith sit in judgment on her, as that Margaery Tyrell meant to do. That might serve the little rose well enough, but Cersei had few friends amongst the septas and sparrows around this new High Septon. Her only hope was trial by battle, and for that she must needs have a champion.

She would have her son again. She would have her champion. Her uncle had promised her.Tommen is waiting for me. My little king. I can do this. I must.

Basically, if Cersei decided to go through with a trial, chances are it would have been more fair for her* than Ser Robert Strong by combat.

*by fair, I don't mean advantageous, by fair, Cersei had quite a bit of evidence against her for her crimes and therefore would have been tried and judged accordingly. When Cersei thinks she has few friends its because the evidence against her killing the previous HS(via one of the KBs) is actually quite strong.

Therefore, its her paranoia and actual guilt that caused her to do the WOS.

I don't either.

She CHOSE to do it after all.

Oh, and why did she CHOOSE to do it?

Because she could get her champion.

I’ll be back with Tommen, in my own chambers inside Maegor’s Holdfast.Her uncle said it was the only way to save herself. Was it, though? She could not trust her uncle, no more than she trusted this High Septon.I could still refuse. I could still insist upon my innocence and hazard all upon a trial. But she dare not let the Faith sit in judgment on her, as that Margaery Tyrell meant to do. That might serve the little rose well enough, but Cersei had few friends amongst the septas and sparrows around this new High Septon. Her only hope was trial by battle, and for that she must needs have a champion.

She would have her son again. She would have her champion. Her uncle had promised her.Tommen is waiting for me. My little king. I can do this. I must.

Basically, if Cersei decided to go through with a trial, chances are it would have been more fair for her* than Ser Robert Strong by combat.

*by fair, I don't mean advantageous, by fair, Cersei had quite a bit of evidence against her for her crimes and therefore would have been tried and judged accordingly. When Cersei thinks she has few friends its because the evidence against her killing the previous HS(via one of the KBs) is actually quite strong.

Therefore, its her paranoia and actual guilt that caused her to do the WOS.

WHY did she choose it? Because of SAFETY...

It was so fair and completely justified... Punishing women for having sex. Dear lord... :bang: :bang: :bang:

WHY did she choose it? Because of SAFETY...

It was so fair and completely justified... Punishing women for having sex. Dear lord... :bang: :bang: :bang:

I'm not saying its fair and justified.

Just that I don't feel sorry for her seeing as how she had a choice not to.

And I disagree with the bolded regardless.

I confess, I am bored to death with 'who has the right to rule' threads, be it the Iron Throne or Winterfell. You can have all the 'correct' bloodlines you need, but if you have no support or means to enforce it, you ain't ruling shit. The correct answer to all of these threads, of course, is whatever advances the plot to where Martin wants it to go.

I'm not saying its fair and justified.

Just that I don't feel sorry for her seeing as how she had a choice not to.

And I disagree with the bolded regardless.

Cersei's walk of shame is simply forced upon her. It wasn't even much of the choice to begin with. She wanted safety and the only way to get it was that unjust and completely insanely misogynist Walk of shame. She didn't have much choice. One has to wonder about hypocrisy of High Septon who allowed Margaery to be in custody of her father's bannerman (who by chance brought the army with him), and Cersei was forced to do Walk of shame because she had sex when she was a widow. As much as I hate Cersei, this was by far one of the most heinous acts in the books.

What exactly do you disagree with?

Archived