[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion #2

Lady Fevre Dream

I just rewatched some of the invented scenes from season 1, like Jamie/Tywin and Viserys/Jorah about the dragon eggs. Man these are so awesome! I mean what the hell happened to D + D. Are they really the same people who wrote those scenes? Did they get brain damaged? Seriously.. they could write so well in S1 and then they went on to do.. Arya at the bloody gate! Burping whores! Nothing is nothing! Beetles beetles beetles!

I think you have all the gods covered. :lol:

The last season, I think they'll go with GRRM's outline. It's not like we'll suddenly miss all those good lines they have been using all along, or we'll suddenly miss all of the complex characterization. Cersei can't even remember she finds Jaime's stump replusive. Jaime can't even remember he spent much of the past two seasons becoming a better man. It's a good thing Brienne didn't meet Lady Stoneheart, how on earth could she have said, he's not the man he was? Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Probably I'm just fanwanking but there is a second before Cersei kisses the golden hand, where Lena's face is hard and her eyes flutter: as if Cersei is biting down her repulsion to do what needs to be done to entice Jaime. Total score - as shown by Jaime's immediate reaction. I bet, Jaime's White book page has now Cersei's buttprint on it.

Despite the fact that the whole scene made no sense - the character's motivations flip flopped all over the season and internal explanations have to be drawn from the book counterparts - I really liked finally seeing a glimpse of Cersei's seductress side.

At least cast and art department are amazing.

Script, direction and editing though are just off.

Probably I'm just fanwanking but there is a second before Cersei kisses the golden hand, where Lena's face is hard and her eyes flutter: as if Cersei is biting down her repulsion to do what needs to be done to entice Jaime. Total score - as shown by Jaime's immediate reaction. I bet, Jaime's White book page has now Cersei's buttprint on it.

Despite the fact that the whole scene made no sense - the character's motivations flip flopped all over the season and internal explanations have to be drawn from the book counterparts - I really liked finally seeing a glimpse of Cersei's seductress side.

At least cast and art department are amazing.

Script, direction and editing though are just off.

Cersei's buttprint. :lol:

It's true, it's baffling that they think they can't show thoughts. We're getting half the story, words, and that's often the most useless part of the story. Where's the rest? What's going on in their heads (and hearts), we need to know these things. It's what motivates them.

Hitchcock: "Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms."

I am looking forward to Darth Sansa with a light saber and a lemoncake death star.

:lol:

According to recent interviews with Turner she is gonna be more sexual next season. All I can think of is Jenna Maroney saying she is gonna use her SEXUALITY.

It's gonna be equally ridiculous, if not more so when you pair it up with Gillen's Batman voice.

Threesome or foursome or fivesome?

I was on Facebook and one of the people I have on my friends list posted a status, i don't remember what the context was but she referredto Game of Thrones...as Game of Hoes! :lmao:

Whatever she posted.she obviously doesn't like the show, but with all this talk of brothels I just felt obliged to share this hahahah

According to recent interviews with Turner she is gonna be more sexual next season. All I can think of is Jenna Maroney saying she is gonna use her SEXUALITY.

It's gonna be equally ridiculous, if not more so when you pair it up with Gillen's Batman voice.

LMAO. Batman and birdwoman. I agree, a sexed up Sansa could go really, really wrong. Once, I would have assumed it would be done with subtlety, but now I assume the worst. If the crazy dress reveal is a sign of things to come.......

I just rewatched some of the invented scenes from season 1, like Jamie/Tywin and Viserys/Jorah about the dragon eggs. Man these are so awesome! I mean what the hell happened to D + D. Are they really the same people who wrote those scenes? Did they get brain damaged? Seriously.. they could write so well in S1 and then they went on to do.. Arya at the bloody gate! Burping whores! Nothing is nothing! Beetles beetles beetles!

My best theory is that they had a ton more time to work on GOT season 1 and it shows in how well done everything was and how thoughtful even the invented stuff was in terms of being aligned with the characterizations from the book.

After that, just based on how they can no longer even put together the show without being short almost ten minutes an episode, the whole thing has become super chaotic to manage and they no longer have enough time to really polish and reflect on the writing. Also, the success and lack of criticism for obvious plot/logic problems has emboldened them to think what they're doing is flawless, when it isn't.

My best theory is that they had a ton more time to work on GOT season 1 and it shows in how well done everything was and how thoughtful even the invented stuff was in terms of being aligned with the characterizations from the book.

After that, just based on how they can no longer even put together the show without being short almost ten minutes an episode, the whole thing has become super chaotic to manage and they no longer have enough time to really polish and reflect on the writing. Also, the success and lack of criticism for obvious plot/logic problems has emboldened them to think what they're doing is flawless, when it isn't.

:agree: This is my favorite "nice" analysis of how they've managed to let the show become such a steaming pile.

LMAO. Batman and birdwoman. I agree, a sexed up Sansa could go really, really wrong. Once, I would have assumed it would be done with subtlety, but now I assume the worst. If the crazy dress reveal is a sign of things to come.......

And her own sexuality wasn't explored, so now it's all about what Littlefinger wants.

They hinted at her sexy book dream (faded to blur, although they must have thought it was important to show even that) but most didn't catch it. Other than that, she hinted that she wouldn't mind fucking Loras, a man such a "great manipulator" doesn't even realize is gay, despite many obvious hints, and that was it. Yet she's going to sexually manipulate Littlefinger, the micromanaging brothel owner, who is all too familiar with sexual manipulators.

And her own sexuality wasn't explored, so now it's all about what Littlefinger wants.

They hinted at her sexy book dream (faded to blur, although they must have thought it was important to show even that) but most didn't catch it. Other than that, she hinted that she wouldn't mind fucking Loras, a man such a "great manipulator" doesn't even realize is gay, despite many obvious hints, and that was it. Yet she's going to sexually manipulate Littlefinger, the micromanaging brothel owner, who is all too familiar with sexual manipulators.

I'm trying to stay away from book comparisons since the author so kindly corrected me that there is no "true" answer for what happens to his characters....with that said, the "inspiration" for Show LF does have a blind spot where Sansa is concerned, otherwise he wouldn't be teaching her all of his tricks, oblivious to the idea that the pupil could one day outstrip the teacher. And while I haven't read Sansa's later chapters in a long time, I don't really recall she was ever to the point of sexually manipulating him, though that could and probably will come later.

I do expect things in the show to be fairly overt, and I will wonder exactly what her purpose is to manipulate him....she may be much more active since everyone in the Vale knows who she is, and have a specific plan of what she wants to do in the show, where as her "inspiration" in the book has no such plan, she's still somewhat drifting along with LF.

I have read her chapters a dozen times, word by word. :lol:

I don't think Littlefinger is actually teaching her his tricks. He's holding back, he's not being straight with her at all. He's also not letting her in on all the things he does. This isn't teaching, this is manipulation. She even thinks, she knows better than to ask this or that, if he wants her to know, he'll tell her. So she knows, too.

What he doesn't know, because he's such a smug bastard, is that she knows, and she's manipulating him in her own way, by not letting on that she knows. That's the subtlety the show is tossing out the moon door. What she's doing, which is smart, is playing along, to gain his trust. She has the Catelyn kind of strengths.

You can see the Catelyn and Sansa responses to Littlefinger are the same, they both smell mint on his breath when he kisses them, and neither are impressed. In the books, she's playing it the way Catelyn would, and he never understood her, either, nor did he get what he wanted.

Sansa openly defied him once, when he kissed her, then saw her aunt fly out the moon door, and has a better understanding of the danger now. So she knows to keep the defiance to herself.

Two key things about Sansa, she's a romantic, and she wants to make her own choices. Put those two together, and she wants to choose who she kisses. That's the reason she butt heads with Ned over Joffrey, and now she's butting heads with Littlefinger (I think we'll see more of her story with Sandor on the show, too, check the link in my sig).

I could get into a bunch of book reasons for thinking all of this, but I tried to keep it show only...

Two key things about Sansa, she's a romantic, and she wants to make her own choices. Put those two together, and she wants to choose who she kisses. That's the reason she butt heads with Ned over Joffrey, and now she's butting heads with Littlefinger (I think we'll see more of her story with Sandor on the show, too, check the link in my sig).

You guys mean that Sansa isn't just a slutty and better looking version of Darth Vader? Man, I was looking so forward to seeing Sansa getting people to stand down their planetary defenses, by seducing them, so she could destroy them with the lemon cake death star. Next you're going to tell me that it would be out of character for Sansa to dress up as a scantily clad dominatrix, while she beats people with her light saber.
You guys have just destroyed all my thirteen year old boy fantasies. Thanks a lot.

You guys mean that Sansa isn't just a slutty and better looking version of Darth Vader? Man, I was looking so forward to seeing Sansa getting people to stand down their planetary defenses, by seducing them, so she could destroy them with the lemon cake death star. Next you're going to tell me that it would be out of character for Sansa to dress up as a scantily clad dominatrix, while she beats people with her light saber.

You guys have just destroyed all my thirteen year old boy fantasies. Thanks a lot.

I suspect you are still in luck, and the show will reward you with Sansa the manipulative sexed up teenage vamp. You may have to give up on the lemoncake death star though.

I suspect you are still in luck, and the show will reward you with Sansa the manipulative sexed up teenage vamp. You may have to give up on the lemoncake death star though.

Absolutely not. If we don't get to see Sansa operate the lemon cake death star while in lingerie, the show will disappoint me and millions of other fans. Clearly, the writers should know this. I am just young boy and know little of the ways of good writing, but I do know something about pointless cheap thrills.

:lol: One thing you can count on, this show will never destroy anyone's thirteen year old fantasies.

Also, I call her Fansa (Fake Sansa) - it really does help.

Although I usually find Sansa to be very attractive and as exciting as it may be to watch, I really don't like the show going down this path (her being more sexual). Someone noted that in the books Sansa, unlike Arya, has never really lost her innocence. This was definitely the case on the show in season #3 and for the most part season #4... until the sudden jarring change in her final episode. My main objection to the show writers taking this tack, aside from being reportedly a change from the books, is that we've already seen Dany, Cersei, Shae, Melisandre, Margaery, Osha and Ygritte using their sexuality to get ahead, and so did Olenna when she was young. Sansa's supposed to be different from them and that's the #1 reason that I ranked her as my favourite female character. This would seem to imply that in Westeros and Essos that all attractive young woman have to do this.

That's your idea of a scantily clad dominatrix? Really?! You must be some really sheltered 13-year old boy. :lol:

That could, I guess, pass as "scantily clad" if your idea of what women normally wear is a baggy dress buttoned up to the neck.

But oh, Sansa doesn't dress like a ten year old or a nun! She actually has a dress that isn't baggy and kind of shows that her body is not shapeless! And - oh the horror - it actually has a V-neck!!!! That's it, obviously she is a slutty Jezabel who and we have to denounce her wanton ways, or else end will be nigh. Oh and of course, her dress is BLACK!!!! And obvious sign that she is EEEVIL. Just like that bastard brother of hers and all those guys he hangs out with, who have been wearing black since season 1. Clearly EEVIL.

That's your idea of a scantily clad dominatrix? Really?! You must be some really sheltered 13-year old boy. :lol:

That could, I guess, pass as "scantily clad" if your idea of what women normally wear is a baggy dress buttoned up to the neck.

But oh, Sansa doesn't dress like a ten year old or a nun! She actually has a dress that isn't baggy and kind of shows that her body is not shapeless! And - oh the horror - it actually has a V-neck!!!! That's it, obviously she is a slutty Jezabel who and we have to denounce her wanton ways, or else end will be nigh. Oh and of course, her dress is BLACK!!!! And obvious sign that she is EEEVIL. Just like that bastard brother of hers and all those guys he hangs out with, who have been wearing black since season 1.

Ok, I was being a little over the top. Chill. I am just poking fun at the show a little. Her last dress wasn't that revealing. A bit ridiculous, yes. Over the top revealing, no. I was just poking a little fun at the show's propensity to show people doing things a bit out of character.

ETA:

Also, expressing my fear of the show fucking up her character. Because, I do really like book Sansa quite a bit.

Archived