Looking for funny books

KalibakCruel

Know it's been referenced already, but I just wanted to reiterate how much I love Pratchett's Discworld novels. I remember reading it while in the office at work one day and my boss came over to ask me what was so funny because I was laughing out loud.

Have not had a chance to throw out Martin Millar's name for a while. He has re-released his old Thraxas books which are a fantasy detective comedy series with real short books. And his more recent stuff is not pure comedy but still hilarious at times- The Good Fairies of New York would be a great place to start.

Yes, the Thraxas books are awesome.

You could also read the Stainless Steel Rat series.

Robin Lynn Asprin - MythAdventures series is one of the funniest things that I have ever read in my life. I know this is blaspheme and heresy, but I liked this series for humor more than The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Do yourself a favor and pick them up.

Harry Harrison - With the publication of Rouges this year as an anthology dedicated to the scoundrel, it is a shame that we lost Harry Harrison a couple of years ago. The Stainless Steel Rat is one of my favorite characters of all time, and these books are tremendously funny.

Here is a wikipedia link that has a list of comic sci/fi as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_science_fiction

Little Big Man by Thomas Berger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Big_Man_(novel)

I thought the movie was funny but after reading the book my chest and abdominal muscles hurt for days.

I just tried this after seeing the recommendation in this thread but it wasn't particularly funny. A minor chuckle here and there but no more than that.

Also, the foreword sets it up as some amazingly insightful and nuanced history of the period. It is not.

It's an OK read: a light, irreverent and unvarnished re-telling of the westward expansion in the late 19th century, occasionally humorous but largely scattershot as it tries to move the protagonist around a large area to experience as many significant historical moments/characters as possible.

Pratchett: Disc world books, but you probably know them already

PG Wodehouse, especially "Jeeves and Wooster" and the earlier "Blandings/Lord Emsworth" books. But they are very "old world", mostly written between the '20s and '60s, but often "Edwardian" in spirit; the author was born in the 1880s. The setting is a timeless idealized Britain, usually without any reference to the war. No shell-shocked veterans. They also recycle very similar themes (something the author admitted freely), but the best ones are absolutely hilarious, although some readers may find them very old-fashioned. They are short novels and short story collections.

For black humour with SF elements: Kurt Vonnegut, especially Cat's cradle and Slaughterhouse Five

Wodehouse is a fucking genus. There are other funny authors, but IMO he's on a plane of his own.

I tried that literary map thingie - that's pretty cool.

I put in Pratchett and it offered me HP Lovecraft, Agatha Christsie and Umberto Eco.

It might need some fine tuning.

Yes, it actually isn't similar style and tone as I stated earlier. It is instead the authors that users have self-reported enjoying in addition to the one in question.

So you get "Dr. Seuss" from "Ian Fleming", or HPL from Pratchett, or Robert Silverberg from Michael Pearce.

Robert Asprin +1

Also I'm currently making my way through Steven Brust after being yelled at to do so for over a decade, and not only do those books rock, they are pretty funny at times as well, although their not really, "funny" books, per se. I just mention them because there's a lot of stuff in the Myth books I read growing up that makes sense now. :P

Robert Asprin +1

Also I'm currently making my way through Steven Brust after being yelled at to do so for over a decade, and not only do those books rock, they are pretty funny at times as well, although their not really, "funny" books, per se. I just mention them because there's a lot of stuff in the Myth books I read growing up that makes sense now. :P

Thirded on the Asprin. MythAdventures might be just what you're looking for. Really light, fast and fun. Follows an apprentice mage and his demon teacher through some fairly harrowing yet lighthearted adventures. Solid cast of characters throughout the series.

And another vote for Steven Brust, particularly To Reign in Hell. Not exactly light, but extremely funny. Novel retelling of the story of the War in Heaven. Good stuff, Maynard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Reign_in_Hell

Good Omens is an absolute must read.

So I actually fell into this book a few days ago and started it. Loving it.

I've also asked my library for some of the recommendations from some of you to read after, so I'll update on those when I get to them.

Again, a million thanks for everyone recommending!

So I just tried the literary map thing...tried a few authors...Stephen King got me an Ayn Rand recommendation...wtf? No. Just no. Is that a cruel joke?

I guess people who liked King also said that they enjoyed Rand.

Archived