Football LXXXIV - Expecting League champions vs runners-up match tonight

baxus

Not sure who should be more embarrassed United or Celtic.Admittedly United fielded a second string but 4-0 was a shocker.

Though the headline-"Celtic knocked out of the Champions League twice in the same month" will take some out-doing.Not even sure how you'd go about it.

ETA-Especially since twice doesn't do it justice.They've had four cracks at this.

Yeah no, I don't buy that we can *only* play with a target man who can knock balls for the rest of the players. It will take time to adjust and adapt to a new player playing up there, I believe Sanchez is capable of playing up there on his own. We struggled against Everton for a few reasons, the main one being we lacked any sort of cohesiveness and were very sloppy in midfield. We also only came back into the game because Everton were sloppy. I also disagree with your assessment of Suarez/ Aguero only being useful after having that second striker beside them. Your opinion on that may differ, and that's fine.

Edit: If we don't buy anyone, the reaction from fans is going to be so over the top.

Yeah no, I don't buy that we can *only* play with a target man who can knock balls for the rest of the players. It will take time to adjust and adapt to a new player playing up there, I believe Sanchez is capable of playing up there on his own. We struggled against Everton for a few reasons, the main one being we lacked any sort of cohesiveness and were very sloppy in midfield. We also only came back into the game because Everton were sloppy. I also disagree with your assessment of Suarez/ Aguero only being useful after having that second striker beside them. Your opinion on that may differ, and that's fine.

Edit: If we don't buy anyone, the reaction from fans is going to be so over the top.

We still have to give Campbell a run. Anyone know how long Sanogo is out for? I think with Sanchez, Campbell, and a returning Sanogo, Walcott etc the team still has enough goals in it without another purchase. Even though he's not ideal, we also still have Podolski. But if anything happens to those guys, we really are screwed with a heavy fixture list.

I would be more comfortable with a short-term loan deal, preferably from within the EPL, rather than a big purchase like Cavani who would cost lots and still take time to settle in properly.

I know Gibbs and Theo are supposed to come in after the international break is over, also, are we sending all our Germans back to their teams? I certainly hope not!

Edit: Also worth pointing out that AW's best teams have been without a 'target man', he knows how that style has to come about, though the movement was a lot better then than it is now.

Also, this new Joe Allen to United rumour seems specifically designed to inflame Polish.

Did anyone watch the Lille game? How has Origi done?

ETA: Hey, I got to see United concede one of their goals against MK Dons, bonus.

He did okay I guess. I don't think the wing's really for him. Lille should have scored at least one goal but that was not fault of him, Roux had a shitty game.

But anyway, Porto was stronger. Brahimi had a beast game. Lille is solid but also one of the most unimaginative team throughout Europe, once they were one down, it was hard to come back.

A bit of an asshole move, but understandable.

It really is classless to kick your opponents when they're down.

On the matter of MK Dons domination in the last night's game, I've seen only the last 20-25 minutes and must say that United was nowhere near dangerous except for Januzaj hitting the bar.

Sure, the team was filled with youngsters but that's no excuse.

Having Hernandez, Jones, Wellbeck, Kagawa, De Gea, even Evans and Anderson should be more than enough to beat third-tier team.

Even Januzaj can hardly be counted as a youngster any longer, after having one full season under his belt.

United should have won this game, or at least should have given a better display but, to be honest, I don't think back line of Evans-Smalling-Jones would've been much better :lol:

Still, by the looks of the lineup one could clearly see how important this match was to United and they haven't really lost much by losing an opportunity to win the League Cup.

Long before this season is finished, last night will be remembered as the night when Utd signed Di Maria, rather than the night they got demolished by MK Dons.

Oh my god Baxus he was having a laugh ffs

I know he was having a laugh.

Dzeko is a very likable guy and I'm not saying he's an asshole, I'm saying his move was a bit asshole-ish.

It definitely was funny though ;)

We still have to give Campbell a run. Anyone know how long Sanogo is out for? I think with Sanchez, Campbell, and a returning Sanogo, Walcott etc the team still has enough goals in it without another purchase. Even though he's not ideal, we also still have Podolski. But if anything happens to those guys, we really are screwed with a heavy fixture list.

I would be more comfortable with a short-term loan deal, preferably from within the EPL, rather than a big purchase like Cavani who would cost lots and still take time to settle in properly.

Sanogo is back today I think. Didn't hear Wenger say anything about him. Ornstein is now legitimately saying that we're unlikely to get a striker, may or may not get a CB or DM so it's really sounding like this is going to be another transfer window failure, including the standard long term injury that seems to happen every year. I really really hope you and Raja are right. I personally don't see it at this point. I was fine when we had Giroud as I think there were enough goals with him but without him, I see us struggling to score unless Wenger adapts and I haven't seen much evidence of that lately. Hell, I'm just seeing worse decisions like putting Ozil on the wing like he does with Cazorla.

It would be cool if Campbell came in and did the job. What ever happened to Walcott's dream of being a centre forward anyway? Seems like the ideal time to put that into practice.

Man Utd - Can't really watch anymore, it's got to the stage where, like when Brazil were four down to Germany, I just feel a bit sick whenever I think about it. And I don't even like Man U.

Celtic - Very disappointing. Not sure they deserved to play this round in the first place but I would've cheered them in the champions, despite being a Rangers fan.

Rangers - Doing very nicely in the league cup thanks, apparently going into the pot as a seed, should we make round 3, to the uproar of all other scottish footy fans.

Campbell is probably the last one out of those strikers to play up there on his own. I think all our options come before him, except Podolski, probably.

He's the only one with experience doing it though but I agree, likely the last person. He, like all of them, make good 2nd strikers.

As for Walcott, he tore his ACL playing CF and hasn't entered full training again yet.

Archived