Reclining in Coach

When people in front of me recline their seats, I let out a quiet but audible moan of pleasure, which increases in volume and intensity until they (inevitably) move their seats back to the original position (at which point I let out a disappointed sigh).

Alternatively, asking reclining strangers if you can braid or comb their hair makes them very nervous, in my experience, especially if you chuckle and point out that there isn't much they could do to stop you either way. If not, mentioning that you have over thirty different kinds of combs in your pocket, and that you didn't purchase a single one of them, usually does the trick.

Baby: flying projectile during takeoff and landing if not strapped in. If I were the captain on Little Miss Sunshine's plane, I'd boot them if they didn't heed a stern warning. Because at that point, the baby is a danger to other passengers.

It's kind of bizarre that babies (under 2?) fly for free if they are on a parent's lap, when as you say the parent couldn't hold onto them during an impact or severe jolt. Which is why car seats are required in cars. But how many people are going to buy an extra ticket if they don't have to?

Screaming infants and children hit right in the pain center of my hearing. Most parents are going to do their best to try and keep the child from doing this. I'm sure most of them don't want to hear it either. Doesn't mean I've got no right to be annoyed by the crying. I'm annoyed by a lot of things I can do nothing about. Usually it has a lot to do with why its so annoying. But I'm not going to complain to the flight attendant about it.

It's kind of bizarre that babies (under 2?) fly for free if they are on a parent's lap, when as you say the parent couldn't hold onto them during an impact or severe jolt. Which is why car seats are required in cars. But how many people are going to buy an extra ticket if they don't have to?

If you're involved in an impact in an airplane, the carseat probably isn't going to help.

As a former flight attendant, I was not troubled at all by crying babies who are uncomfortable due to the flight (seriously, if it's a pain for adult ears, imagine what's like for a baby!).

On the other hand, I did have a huge problem with parents who refuse to control their children to the expense of safety regulations - I still remember a flight to a holiday destination where a huge family was refusing the fasten one of the kid's seat belt for take-off and landing because "she cries and screams if we do so, can't you see that, you idiots?!" and then was passing her around (i.e. above rows) during taxiing - during which, no matter what people think, a million things can go wrong and passengers are still required to have their seat belts fastened!

I would like also to point out that, although (I repeat) I am not bothered by crying babies that are uncomfortable during the flight, not everyone can resort to earphones due to health issues (e.g. tinnitus). Ear plugs are another matter, though :)

(EFG)

As another former flight attendant, I completely agree. On my list of obnoxious behavior on airplanes, crying babies aren't even on it. It's adults who have the worst behavior.

I am amazed at the number of people in this thread who think people with children need to have some sort of emergency to justify traveling with them. It's public transportation, the days of glamorous airline transportation are long gone. Airlines are basically Greyhound with wings these days.

I loathe flying now, ironic considering my former profession.

If you're involved in an impact in an airplane, the carseat probably isn't going to help.

It would certainly help. It helps baby to not go flying through the cabin. It helps baby to not go splat against the ceiling in turbulence.

Of course there are crashes that are simply not survivable by anyone. But there are certainly incidents where people survive impact and if baby isnt strapped in his odds of being one of them is greatly reduced.

As another former flight attendant, I completely agree. On my list of obnoxious behavior on airplanes, crying babies aren't even on it. It's adults who have the worst behavior.

I am amazed at the number of people in this thread who think people with children need to have some sort of emergency to justify traveling with them. It's public transportation, the days of glamorous airline transportation are long gone. Airlines are basically Greyhound with wings these days.

I loathe flying now, ironic considering my former profession.

That makes two of us now :lol:

I just remembered another story: flight to Paris, little girl going through the aisle with a piece of bread in her hands and keeping herself entertained by throwing bits of the said bread at other passengers. We (the cabin crew members) were the ones who had to bring her back to her seat and ask the parents to make sure she behaved and didn't bother the other passengers, because they sure couldn't care less on their own initiative...

I don't fly anymore but when I did.. I never cared if people reclined because I'm pretty small. My legs just aren't long enough to care about the extra 4 inches. I never needed to recline but I imagine if I was tired enough and had felt the need I would just kindly ask the person behind me if they minded. If they did, I guess I'd suffer. I believe if we treat other people with kindness, we get it back. If someone won't let me recline, I'd just imagine they'll likely spill a drink themselves at some point in the flight and karma will have worked the Universe out again. On with life..

Woman arrested for refusing to stop singing "I will always love you" on a flight from LA to Kansas City. Super weird, but worthy of arrest? There's a short video of the woman being arrested in the following linked article:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/flight-makes-emergency-landing-because-woman-wouldnt-stop-singing-whitney-houston-song-i-will-always-love-you-8614146.html

Woman arrested for refusing to stop singing "I will always love you" on a flight from LA to Kansas City. Super weird, but worthy of arrest? There's a short video of the woman being arrested in the following linked article:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/flight-makes-emergency-landing-because-woman-wouldnt-stop-singing-whitney-houston-song-i-will-always-love-you-8614146.html

In this case, I say arrest her, then release her, and drop the charges later on. We don't want to risk this behavior becoming normalized, nor would I want to risk an acquittal in court, which might also give carte blanche to fanciers of Cold Play, Christian rock, or the Bee Gees.

Archived