UK Politics: Referendum day!

Corvinus85

I'm Canadian.

Canadians in general love the Scots, but knowing separatism as well as we do, I'd say more would be inclined to hoping "NO" wins this thing.

Our own 1995 referendum national-brush-with-death is not fondly remembered, and this one seems so similar, it's truly depressing. The implications for the world are nothing but bad news as well.

Strangely emotional voting today.

Whatever the result I just hope that people get on with it. I'm sure that there will be some sadness from the losing side, but at the end of the day whether 'yes' or 'no' life goes on and we all just need to do our best to build a better society.

Whatever the result I just hope that people get on with it. I'm sure that there will be some sadness from the losing side, but at the end of the day whether 'yes' or 'no' life goes on and we all just need to do our best to build a better society.

Whatever the result is, it will most likely be so close this can never be the end of this.

Wb!

"Some sadness" is putting it mildly. I've a gloomy feeling there will be bitter recrimination from the losing side whenever something crappy happens.

I don't doubt that there will be recriminations, and some anger and bitterness on the losing side, but we'll see. To have got to this stage is absolutely remarkable. Decades of peaceful campaigning for independence and then an actual referendum taking place without serious violence is a rarity in European history. Fair play to the campaigners on all sides, as well as those who have pushed to get the referendum and the UK government. There have been occurences of people being rude or ill-mannered but comparatively with other situations around the world it's relatively minor. Gives me hope that after a while things will settle down. Of course if it is a 'no' it's quite possible there may be another referendum sometime in the future, but it would probably require time to pass and the political stars to align once again (eg following a 'I'm a little Brit get me out here' referendum on Europe, or polls showing 60 percent in favour of independence in a decade or two)

I've seen a few people reporting feeling unusually emotional about voting. My sister apparently had a few cries before she could even get herself out the house.

I feel more tense than emotional. It's not like anything's going to happen for a while. I'd probably feel emotional atctually at independence. Och it does fair gie me the heebie jeebies though.

hi Zak, btw.

BBC reports only two arrests at polling stations (Shettleston, Glasgow, and Clydebank - quelle suprise) which is pretty good considering parts of the media acting like Scotland had fallen into anarchy.

Eta shettleston's part of Glasgow incase it looks loke I've said 2 but listed 3 :P

Of course if it is a 'no' it's quite possible there may be another referendum sometime in the future, but it would probably require time to pass and the political stars to align once again (eg following a 'I'm a little Brit get me out here' referendum on Europe, or polls showing 60 percent in favour of independence in a decade or two)

Good to see you around here again, Zak.

It's a good point that it may not be all that easy for the SNP to hold another referendum even if they want to. The Scottish Parliament electoral system was explicitly designed to make it extremely difficult for a party (one in particular) to ever get a majority, they managed it back in 2011 but there were some special circumstances then. From what I remember Labour had a lead in the polls at the start of the campaign and the SNP gaining a majority relied heavily on a spectacularly inept campaign by the Labour party and a concurrent Nick Clegg-inspired meltdown in the Liberal Democrat vote. If Labour had a vaguely competent leader and the Lib Dems hadn't committed Scottish electoral suicide by joining up with the Tories then the SNP wouldn't have got a majority and even if they'd been the largest party they still couldn't have passed their referendum bill. They might not get another opportunity to have a majority for a while, unless Westminster really manages to antagonise the Scots.

Any word on results yet?

Probably nothing for the next couple of hours.

A final opinion poll has been released by YouGov saying 54% No / 46% Yes.

Well, as long as Call Me Dave is in charge...

Mind you, the Tory's next leader could well be Boris. I'm not sure I can imagine a world where he's potentially Prime Minister.

I'm definitely not saying it's implausible that Westminster might antagonise the Scots enough to prompt another vote. Probably the most obvious way would be if they don't deliver on some of the promises they've made about new powers for the Scottish Parliament.

The CBC just interviewed one of the many Quebec separatists in Scotland as an observer, and he said he was amazed how quiet the streets are, unlike the passion exhibited on the streets of Quebec during our referendum. He says there are more Quebec and Spanish flags being flown than Scottish flags.

I'm a bit puzzled why the rest of the UK doesn't have a vote as well. After all, everyone sits in parliament, don't they?

Archived