Aussies LXIII - Fear Inc

Stubby

Okay, what are people's plan for October? Horza and BeeTrix have (relatively) recently completed their Uni programs and we've been talking about a graduation party for a while now. So this October seems like as good a time as any. The venue is Queenies at Surry Hills, and the date is likely to be after the long weekend. So plenty of time, but it'd be good to get a date set. I am thinking the weekend of 11th or 18th. Feel free to drop alternative dates, or name your preference.

As always, noobies and anyone crazy enough to come from other state (i.e. Neal) is welcome!

:lol:

Did you report the duck as a terror suspect?

That Duckzilla is the true terror in Newcastle. I see it every day during my lunchtime walk around the wetland. I usually give it a wide berth and we eye each other as we cross paths. It hasn't charged at me again.....yet! But I did see it charge and fend off some other birds in the area :)

p.s. I found out that it has 4 adorable ducklings, which is why it is so damn aggressive lol

I can't do the 11th or the 18th. I can do Friday the 10th or the weekend of the 24th/25th. Otherwise I'll sit this one out and bug everyone for photos :)

24th/25th would be better if that's OK - I might drop dead from exhaustion on the 11th if we are out the night before :p But definitely doable if the other dates don't work.

:lol:

Did you report the duck as a terror suspect?

:rofl:

This picture is our media in a nutshell - it's perfect.

Also who can tell me anything about Adelaide? Out of all the cities I've applied for University in Adelaide's the only one that I've never been to. I assume it's more chilled out than the bigger cities which is definitely a good thing in my mind - then again Darwin was more chilled out than any of the other cities and Darwin is a shit hole (apologies if anyone lives in Darwin).

Also who can tell me anything about Adelaide? Out of all the cities I've applied for University in Adelaide's the only one that I've never been to. I assume it's more chilled out than the bigger cities which is definitely a good thing in my mind - then again Darwin was more chilled out than any of the other cities and Darwin is a shit hole (apologies if anyone lives in Darwin).

Adelaide is a nice city - a bit quiet but very livable. Well laid out and easy to get around in if you have a car or a bike, at least the inner sections. However the public transport system isn't the best. Night life is OK, lots of clubs / pubs to go to on the weekends, it's a bit quieter than it used to be now the 3am city curfew has come in. That doesn't really bug me much as I'm not really going out anymore.

Basically it's small enough that you're not sitting in traffic for 2hrs on the drive in to work, but large enough that there's still a reasonable amount on at times. If you're coming from Melbourne / Brisbane / Sydney you might find it a bit on the dead side in comparison though.

Not too crazy on the rent front unlike the eastern states - shouldn't be too hard to find some student accommodation within easy distance of whatever uni campus.

Can I ask where you applied to here? I work in research at a uni.

I've got awesome memories of Glenelg (a beachside suburb about 15 minutes from Adelaide CBD)- we lived there for a year when I was 10. If work ever takes me to Adelaide, I'd definitely go back to live in Glenelg. We still have some friends in Adelaide who wouldn't live anywhere else.

I'm greatly relieved to hear that the only thing to fear there in Australia is: giant nuclear mutant spiders, pugilistic kangaroos that attack for no reason, searing heat that would burn pale, blonde me to a cinder in five seconds, drop bears, etc., etc., etc.

Although, it sounds as though the politicians are as whacky as ours, so I guess there's no escape from that particular phenomenon.

Well I think if you were Muslim then the xenophobic bogans are probably quite scary at the moment.

I was gonna say, "thats no way to speak about our politicians", but then I thought about it...

Archived