Your friends grammatical/spelling errors and your witty corrections here.

Do you have similar problems with finite or infinite? Just curious because it's a common error and I'm wondering whether the disconnect tends to be with the root or the word itself.

On-topic, I can't think of any at the moment, but I imagine I've made a bunch before.

No finite and infinite are fine. It's just that one word.

I don't bother correcting people, but every single person who uses an apostrophe to make something plural instead of simply adding the S at the end of the word gets de-friended/put on ignore list.

I don't, really, but I should. I don't know if it's the increase in text-based communication or what the problem is, but I see this shit everywhere and it drives me batty. Like "Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!"

I see it here all the time, too. So if you are an offender, you should be ashamed. Yes. YOU. Get it together.

I worked with a guy once who when asked how he was answered 'superfluous'.

Another time I had to work on a conveyor that was too low on one end. He came to look at it and said 'It's condescending.' My reply was that I would have a talk with it and straighten it out.

GRRM does it a few times himself in the books. It was kind of like walking into a revered artist's house and discovering un-ironically displayed Thomas Kinkade paintings.

Ahhhh; I'm glad I never noticed those - would have taken me right out of the story lol. It's this, the defiant/definite and the ''could care less'' that are my three biggest and pretty much only real pet peeves when it comes to spelling or sayings.

I could always care less. Why, there are things I've never heard of that, in my ignorance, I don't care about at all! Compared to that, if I care enough to make any comment, saying, "I couldn't care less," would just be a lie.

So irregardless of what some people may of said, my friends and myself will just ignore it and keep using it from here foreword. Your just gonna have to take another tact, because for all intensive purposes its a loosing argument. I figure we're doing good, better then those who look down on my friends and I for are grammar give us credit for.

I correct my friends who take care of their spelling problems because I know they want to. They correct mine too.

One thing that kills me is the common comments in news sites or similar. They think they're making a big political/social statement but is IMPOSSIBLE to take them seriously when they can't write right. Argh... like this guy in twitter who was making insults about leftists and said (in Spanish): "they can't be taken seriously because they are anti-capitalism and they have iPhones with Chegue Bara cases!".

Chegue Bara... for God's sake...

So does the fact that the definition of "literally" has literally been changed - mainly due to people not knowing how to use the word correctly - enrage anyone else?

Look it up in most dictionaries now and it has something like this added to its definition:

informal

used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.

So does the fact that the definition of "literally" has literally been changed - mainly due to people not knowing how to use the word correctly - enrage anyone else?

Here.

The same with "solo" in Spanish. It was "solo" meaning "alone" or "sólo" for "only". Now, "sólo" has been eliminated because people get confused and should only be used in extremes cases of ambiguity, which no one would, of course. Now I'm meant to write "Iré solo hoy", which could mean either "I'll go alone today" or "I'll go only today".

I keep writing the "´", btw. I really don't care to follow THAT rule.

I don't bother correcting people, but every single person who uses an apostrophe to make something plural instead of simply adding the S at the end of the word gets de-friended/put on ignore list.

I’m way pettier than you. I de-friend people for using an inch-mark ' instead of an apostrophe ’.

I rarely, if ever, correct people on grammar or spelling. Sometimes I can tell they just had an unfortunate incident with autocorrect and a typo. That doesn't really bother me. When it becomes clear that a person does not know the difference between then/than or have/of, I hide them from my Facebook newsfeed. It makes my brain itch to read stuff like that without mental preparation.

I go lurk the pages that I have hidden sometimes for entertainment purposes. If I'm mentally prepared for bad spelling or general stupidity, it can be fun. The same thing goes for people who are decent spellers, but super annoying with the content of their posts. I hide and lurk when I'm ready for entertainment.

The change in meaning of "literally" is just one of a long line of words which are much weaker in meaning than they used to be because they have been overused by people who like hyperbole.

It seems to me that awful, terrible, and horrible now mean something like "definitely bad" and wonderful, amazing, awesome, brilliant, fabulous, fantastic, marvelous, and phenomenal just mean something like "pretty good" the way they get used in American English. And "terrific" has switched sides completely to mean "good" instead of "terrifying" -- something the online etymology dictionary says started happening back in 1888.

Not to mention that "bigot" now means "someone who has one unreasonable prejudice" rather than "someone who hates anyone who's different from them in any way" like it used to.

I don't think language changes like that are ever going to stop, because I think hyperbole is an ingrained part of the culture.

And in that vein -- are you really, truly "enraged" by this, or is it just an irritating nuisance? It would seem to me that someone who was truly "enraged" by such a language meaning change, in the classic sense of the word "enraged", would have somewhat of an anger management problem. :)

It seems to me that awful, terrible, and horrible now mean something like "definitely bad" and wonderful, amazing, awesome, brilliant, fabulous, fantastic, marvelous, and phenomenal just mean something like "pretty good" the way they get used in American English. And "terrific" has switched sides completely to mean "good" instead of "terrifying" -- something the online etymology dictionary says started happening back in 1888.

Ah. I have always problems with the meaning of the word terrific. When I learned English words I came across horrible, horrific, terrible, terrific. 3 are bad. 1 is good but I never fully memorized which one. Can't use it instinctively. This has always bothered me. Now I have an explanation.

And in that vein -- are you really, truly "enraged" by this, or is it just an irritating nuisance? It would seem to me that someone who was truly "enraged" by such a language meaning change, in the classic sense of the word "enraged", would have somewhat of an anger management problem. :)

I originally had the word "pissed" there instead of "enraged" but changed it just before I posted. Maybe it was better that way or just open up a different set of comments for a grammatical thread. :p

Well, if we're going in that direction, my favourite is "incredible", as it allows me to insult people and make them happy at the same time.

I tend to use "Extraordinary" for that.

As for "pissed" - that one depends on where you are, in the UK it's still "pissed off"; as "pissed" already means drunk. Of course, American TV/film is in the process of eroding this distinction, but it still generally holds and people need to re-evaluate what they've just heard into context to understand the mis-use.

Archived