Doctor Who Series 8; The time of the man that stops the monsters (v2)

Jon's Queen Consort

Speaking of the Doctors Daughter. I wonder if we'll ever see her again. And even though she has only been in one episode. that I know of.

I often wonder what her adventures are like. And how it is possible that in all those years and places the Doctor goes. How have their paths never crossed again. When there are people the Doctor regularly unintentionally bumps in to.

Really I just think it could be a fun story if they ran into each other again. Or decided to travel together, even briefly.

I used to hope she'd pop up again, but I doubt it's going to happen now.

I get that feeling too. But really it doesn't even have to be the same actress. It's probably likely that she has regenerated at least once by now.

This is pretty funny. When a drunk stranger texts a Whovian. Everyone has probably seen this already. I've only just come across it. It gave me a good laugh, so I thought I'd share.

Weakest episode of this series, I think. One of those times when they should have born the line about never working with children or animals in mind.

And yet it had a couple of lovely lines. The Doctor's "It would be really awkward if the world was destroyed right now," made me smile.

I liked the trees-take-over concept - I just wanted it in a different episode. Possibly one written by JG Ballard.

Weakest episode of this series, I think. One of those times when they should have born the line about never working with children or animals in mind.

And yet it had a couple of lovely lines. The Doctor's "It would be really awkward if the world was destroyed right now," made me smile.

I liked the trees-take-over concept - I just wanted it in a different episode. Possibly one written by JG Ballard.

Best line at the end of the episode. I think this one should have been left for the Sarah Jane adventures. Maybe it was an unused script?

Those child actors were atrocious. Thank the gods the GOT casting was so strong in that department.

What is the point of broody woman with her shitty side comments? Yes, we know it was cool. She's the Michael Owen of weird alien commentary.

Horribly boring episode. The mystery wasn't fun enough to make up for the lack of tension. I would still put KtM above it in terms of shittiness, because that managed to arouse some actual feeling in me.

As I've said before, children on TV are literally the pox. We should replace them all with adults and shoot everything Peter Jackson-style to compensate.

I would have preferred scary powerful trees.

Why would all the authorities on Earth obey a young child's request to stop burning the trees?

They shouldn't have bothered with Maeve having emotional problems and (caused by), not to mention her sister having gone missing; it was too much, a distraction from the main story and there wasn't enough time to develop either subplot to any satisfaction.

I didn't think the kids were bad actors, though, at least not terrible. And I enjoyed Danny Pink in the episode.

Interesting previews for next week!

Hate to say it, but it was a bad episode- it had a lot of promise at first, but then turned into a slightly less boring tv version of "The Happening". The preview for next week's episode was the best part, and had me going "wtf?"

And I enjoyed Danny Pink in the episode.

That's true. Especially if you ignore his ability to lose children and spend more time chatting to his girlfriend than keeping an eye on the kids behind them. You'd think after losing one you'd keep a closer eye on the rest. He still did a better job than Clara. Love how she decided the kids would rather be incinerated than separated from their mums (dads don't seem to exist in this episode) without ever asking them. Seems to be a theme with Clara emerging.

then turned into a slightly less boring tv version of "The Happening".

That is a brilliant review highlightied by a comparison that is akin to "More alive than a dead thing"

I personally think that Clara would make a better politician than a teacher; she is intelligent and strong-willed and has a talent for manipulation when it suits her.

I liked Danny's discussions with Clara this time; especially his faith in the wonders of everyday life (vs. her addiction to time/space adventures with the Doctor). I don't think they're going to be together long-term, though.

I think I'm officially over the schoolkids getting involved in the plots. I didn't think the actors were that terrible, but they also didn't add anything beyond one of them having a psychic link to what was going on, and you don't need a whole group for that. While other supporting characters can at least be put in danger in a creditable manner, nobody is going to believe for a second that something bad is going to happen to any of the kids, so there's not even the "I wonder which guest star will not survive the episode" game you can play to make things more interesting. No wonder their teachers seemed rather unconcerned for their safety.

Also, I know it's silly to criticise the science when the premise is "forest covers the world over night", but... the Tunguska Event 'should' have knocked the Earth off its axis? Really?

Though the worst crime of the episode was being really, really boring. I guess that's fitting since, as it turns out, there was no real threat.

Oh, and that tiger totally killed a bunch of people who didn't happen to have a powerful torch with them off-screen, didn't it?

Oh, and that tiger totally killed a bunch of people who didn't happen to have a powerful torch with them off-screen, didn't it?

Probably not as central london only seems to have a dozen people in it...

Maybe the kids had rubbish lines to deliver and the director didn't capture their best but Maeve running around flapping her hands was terrible as was the girl chewing the scenery with her questions about trees. Most of the others I guess were victims of shit lines where they just had to say "cool" or "stop calling us a team".

I'm also guessing the trees were pissed off at the weed killer in this episode which is why they couldn't be bothered when the moon explodes in 100 years time. Guess they already knew it was a moon-dragon and that the problems beforehand were minor.

Probably not as central london only seems to have a dozen people in it...

Oh yeah, in that case the poor thing probably starved to death.

I'm also guessing the trees were pissed off at the weed killer in this episode which is why they couldn't be bothered when the moon explodes in 100 years time. Guess they already knew it was a moon-dragon and that the problems beforehand were minor.

Well that didn't turn out to be an impact event, as the remains of the moon disappeared without a trace so the trees probably couldn't do much about it. But I'm looking forward to asking "why didn't the trees show up to help?" for every future global catastrophe in the show.

I've got a horrible feeling I know how the season finale is going to play out. I'll put it in spoilers for people who didn't watch the trailer

It shows Clara saying "I'm not Clara Oswald. She never existed" or words to that effect. So she was some kind of trap to lure the Doctor in? But I bet in the end her love for Danny overwhelms everything else, helping her to become "human" again to help save the day.

If that happens, I think I might throw up. But it's something Moffat would probably do.

Archived