(Spoilers) Boardwalk Empire: Why must it always be pandemonium?!

Mark Antony

Most of the reactions to the ep have been positive from what I've seen. AVclub and Hitfix both gave pretty glowing reviews. Thought it was a great ep personally.

Haven't seen any reviews outside this thread, I was just surprised by the couple people who said they felt underwhelmed.

RumHam: I was wondering the same thing. That little girl looked 11 or 12 and her mother standing outside looking like she wondered if she had made a mistake.

I was really wanting Chalky to put a bullet through Narcisse's skull. At least then he would be dying for a reason.

I think even young Nucky was surprised by the woman delivering her daughter to the Commodore. Either the woman is totally clueless, or she's looking to get something out of selling her daughter to the Commodore. Or at least those are the most likely options.

Regarding the deaths of Van Alden and Chalky: Van Alden, by the very nature of his character, wasn't going to get a neat, satisfying character arc that get tied up with a bow. Guy was always going to go out in some way that left him unsatisfied and unfinished, it was just a matter of how. Interesting and a nice touch that in his last moments he both reassumed his real name of Van Alden instead of Mueller, and he stopped living in fear. For all his talk an episode or two ago, he'd been living in fear since fleeing Atlantic City. Even moments like blowing up at his co-workers, busting heads in Cicero, telling off Dean O'Bannion, were at best momentary respites from it. But in his last moments he reverted to his true self and his "I am the judgement of the Lord" mode, and the fear is gone.

Also interesting that he gets put down not by one of the criminals that he judged and lived in fear of, but by another LEO just as ruthless, sure of his rightness, and with as little use for criminals as Van Alden had at the start. A rogue angel killed not by the demons he joined, but by those he abandoned and semi-rejoined at his penitent end?

As for Chalky, he went into Narcisse's place certain that he was on a suicide mission, and prepared to die for the sake of revenge. Instead of dying for revenge, he gave his life for the hope that his new family, Maitland and his new daughter, might live and prosper. It might be considered slightly contrived in that he may have been able to help Maitland prosper by putting a bullet in Narcisse, but then he would have also had to murder a man in front of the young girl and risk them being killed when Narcisse's men storm the room to get him. Also interesting that he gives the girl essentially the same advice he gave his other children: to stick with their mother's way, and not to get involved with or follow in the footsteps of men like him. Definitely has strong parallels to Maybele.

And as mentioned by others, the effect with the record was an absolutely brilliant touch.

Lastly, I just have to note that as much as Nucky told Jimmy that he wasn't looking for forgiveness or redemption for himself, a decent chunk of his character arc seems to have been about that, especially as Eli's kids grow up, Eddie Kessler died, etc. His confusion after being walloped on the head and mistaking the kid for a young Gillian, telling them not to trust him, his explaining his motives re: helping Margaret, his hope for Willie to achieve legit success, and more all point to it.

For the record, my money is still on Nucky either saying "Screw this" on the verge of his showdown with Luciano and letting himself get arrested, or being surprised but not unpleased when Willie shows up out of nowhere to arrest him at the end.

Fantastic episode in what has been a pretty great season of television. And I think it's pretty much confirmed that this point that 'Joel Harper from Indiana' is Tommy Darmody. My evidence for this? Well, for one thing, the way he states his name is very similar to what was happening with 'Francis X. Bushman' in the dive bar this episode. Second, the way 'Joel Harper' gets uncomfortable about the joke Mickey makes about his parents. And finally, the name 'Joel Harper' itself. Sounds pretty similar to Joe Harper, who is a character from Tom Sawyer, if I recall correctly. And young Gillian does a very similar thing when she says her name is the one from the title of the book she had nicked (can't remember it at the moment). Then there's the whole, "You think I don't know who you are?" bit when the kid finds Nucky waking up from being knocked unconscious.

I'd say it is a preponderance of evidence, actually.

Fantastic episode in what has been a pretty great season of television. And I think it's pretty much confirmed that this point that 'Joel Harper from Indiana' is Tommy Darmody. My evidence for this? Well, for one thing, the way he states his name is very similar to what was happening with 'Francis X. Bushman' in the dive bar this episode. Second, the way 'Joel Harper' gets uncomfortable about the joke Mickey makes about his parents. And finally, the name 'Joel Harper' itself. Sounds pretty similar to Joe Harper, who is a character from Tom Sawyer, if I recall correctly. And young Gillian does a very similar thing when she says her name is the one from the title of the book she had nicked (can't remember it at the moment). Then there's the whole, "You think I don't know who you are?" bit when the kid finds Nucky waking up from being knocked unconscious.

I'd say it is a preponderance of evidence, actually.

He looks like Jimmy in much the same way young Nucky resembles S.B. I think its a sure bet.

Most of the reactions to the ep have been positive from what I've seen. AVclub and Hitfix both gave pretty glowing reviews. Thought it was a great ep personally.

agree. the entire season has been superb.

Another voice who really enjoyed this episode. Chalky's death suited him... and Van Alden going bananas suited him quite well.

I expect to see more deaths coming in this next episode. Eli doesn't strike me as someone who's going to go the distance, for example.

Another voice who really enjoyed this episode. Chalky's death suited him... and Van Alden going bananas suited him quite well.

I expect to see more deaths coming in this next episode. Eli doesn't strike me as someone who's going to go the distance, for example.

I really like the actor who plays Dutch. History wise Dutch becomes a very powerful man in his own right, not the sort who would take shit IIRC.

Just watched the episode again, and have been thinking about the show as a whole in lieu of the series ending in just two episodes... Best. Cast. Ever. I've always loved Nucky, and I credit that almost entirely to Buscemi, but damn if this isn't one of the more under-appreciated shows of all-time. Every single character, from the main cast to the bit pars are excellent. It's weird, because it often feels like the show tries to keep the audience at an emotional distance on purpose, but when things hit, they really, really hit. I'm gonna' miss this show so damn much.

He looks like Jimmy in much the same way young Nucky resembles S.B. I think its a sure bet.

Yeah, this is what has me convinced the theory is sound. That and the framing of the flashback introducing Gillian blending into Nucky in the present and how his confusion constructs a sentence that works for young Gillian and her grandson.

I enjoyed the episode although I have to admit Van Alden's death left me somewhat distracted for the rest of the episode. It's not often the key scene is in the middle of the episode. It's a shame Van Alden couldn't go out hurting Capone a bit more or causing some carnage but sometimes it's nice to have characters go out in a shitty and pointless way. The situation was out of control and at least we know he indirectly lead to Capone's downfall.

Chalky's death I wasn't as impressed with. Mainly because he chose to go into a pointless situation - there was no fight left in him and I do wonder if the time spent on him this season was actually worth it. Mainly in the sense that we lost other scenes because of it.

I do hope at least one character gets out of the show alive, otherwise it will be very nihilistic as a show. Perhaps more than any other I've seen. Not sure if there are any "original" characters left but it would have been nice for one of them specifically to have a "nice" ending. All we have left now (i think) is the potential son of young Jimmy. Maybe Gillian (who's one of the least deserving) gets out ok?

A great episode in my opinion. I found Van Alden's death very satisfying actually, but very sad of course. He went out with dignity, instead of on his knees begging for his life (as so many others of Capone's victims, probably). And he inadvertently got to contribute to Capone's downfall as well. Can't wait to see Capone hauled off to jail on charges of income tax evasion… I had to chuckle when the undercover cop got the ledgers handed to him in a bag - and when he gives Eli money for the bus, then leaves him. What a great story this show has managed to tell over the course of five seasons. Can't wait for the final two episodes.

Archived