Would Robb have executed Jon?

sj4iy

Robb would not have killed him. That much is certain. The more important question is What would the other lords think about Jon?

If they see Jon as a great fighter and comander, then they would be fine with him and probably contribute to placiating the NW with men.

If the majority are jealous or otherwisely upset, than Robb would have to let him go, perhaps by arranging an "escape" before Jon's trial. Perhaps then he joins the BWB or forms his own group.

The fallout of all this would be that Robb would not be able to justify executing Karstark.

Robb would not have killed him. That much is certain. The more important question is What would the other lords think about Jon?

If they see Jon as a great fighter and comander, then they would be fine with him and probably contribute to placiating the NW with men.

Why would they think that? What had he done at this point to show any such qualities?

They would probably think he was a dumbass. Joining the Watch voluntarily, then deserting few months later and getting caught - it doesn't look good.

Lord Stark was there to execute him. I've never heard of any lord giving some other sentence than death to deserters.

That was the presumed outcome but if he was there just to execute him they could have done so themselves so there is en element of judgement at least. I don't think him choosing to do otherwise would exactly precipitate a revolt.

That was the presumed outcome but if he was there just to execute him they could have done so themselves so there is en element of judgement at least. I don't think him choosing to do otherwise would exactly precipitate a revolt.

That's not the First Men way. The First Men lords execute people themselves and do not use paid headsmen like the Andals do. Like or loath it, that's their style.

And you can say it was judgment, but judgment that was already done in Eddard's mind when he heard they had caught a deserter. He heard the man's last words and the sword went down.

Robb would have just given the NW a load of men.

In exchange Robb is adding his brother and Ghost. Grey Wind would be very happy, and you can imagine the opposition fleeing in absolute terror at the prospect of having two huge direwolves set on their asses.

Also Ghost would defend Jon. Robb would have to kill him too, and Grey Wind would not like this.

It wouldn't have made Robb a kinslayer, I think. Because he wouldn't have acted as "Robb, half-brother to Jon" out of some base motive, but as "King, ruler of the realm and upholder of the law". In his role as King, Robb would be expected to do his duty, because he would have to put his realm and its safety and laws FIRST.

In no alternative universe does Robb execute Jon for coming to help him... He would do literally anything else, from sending him back to trading with the watch for him to hiding him to accepting him in his ranks, but kill him? It would be extremely unethical. I don't even think Stannis would be so rule-abiding.

That's not the First Men way. The First Men lords execute people themselves and do not use paid headsmen like the Andals do. Like or loath it, that's their style.

And you can say it was judgment, but judgment that was already done in Eddard's mind when he heard they had caught a deserter. He heard the man's last words and the sword went down.

I didn't mean a headsman I meant whoever it was that captured him first. The only reason they wouldn't IMHO is if they don't have the authority to administer King's justice like Ned does as the Lord of Winterfell. Ned might already have a judgement in his head ready, but he still could have changed his mind if there was, say, compelling evidence absolving the man in question. It's not very likely, Ned being Ned, but I don't think all the Lords would be up in their arms about it if he did.

Good question... I've been wondering this, too, and here's my answer:

Kinslaying is a horrible sin in Westeros, but I don't think that is the main reason why Robb would not execute Jon. (He does execute Karstark.) It would be a case of conflicting duties for him - the king's duty towards the NW and the brother's duty towards the brother who has come to help him at great personal risk. In a similar conflict in the book, Robb chooses what he regards as his personal duty and responsibility (rather than the king's duty and responsibility) and marries Jeyne. Although honour is important to him, he chooses Jeyne's honour instead of his own. He would probably choose Jon's life and honour over his own reputation, too.

Whatever decision he would make though, it would be likely to attract criticism.

I somehow imagine that Jon would try to join Robb's army in disguise and fight as one of the many nameless soldiers (he does not seem to hope for more than a chance to die for Ned and be remembered as Ned's true son); but I admit it would be difficult to remain nameless with a direwolf following him everywhere. :unsure:

Archived