Constantine Season 1 [Spoilers]

Sci-2

I'm suitably engaged for now that I will almost certainly see the first season through. But I am looking for some more depth. I don't want just a string of episodes following the formula of small town has freaky deaths, Constantine rocks up with snarky one-liners, minor chaos ensues, demon(s) gets banished. The mythology and the greater struggle needs to be center stage. I am always a bit skeptical of the feasibility of plots based on "the one big evil rising". Stories are always more interesting and intricate when the evil(s) are people and their machinations, rather than some external evil force.

Of course people who actually believe in big bad ol' Satan actually can invest in such plots, because to these people such things contain a touch of reality.

Anyone see the second episode yet? Much better than the first, helped greatly by the presence of Zed.

Yes, a definite improvement. I like how hard they're pushing the boundaries of what they can show of his smoking habit.

I wasn't too fond of

the 'it must be the Romany because all gypsy magic is eeeevil resolution though.

No, that aspect wasn't wonderful, though I did like

the way the spirits were turned against her. At least his first assumption was the old white christian guy did it, and he had reasons other than her ethnicity to suspect her (she made it clear it wasn't the happiest marriage, and was generally behaving oddly).

As a big fan of Urban Fantasy novels, I must say that I'm loving this paired back-to-back with Grimm.

I only watched the pilot and didn't think much of it. Is it worth a second chance? I'm similarly unenthused with the flash.

I think it's fantastic, with the pilot being the weakest episode thus far.

Not sure if it is on purpose. But I enjoyed the small Doctor Who parallels. Bigger on the inside and the psychic paper/card.

Like some others here. My only experience with Constantine is the movie. And I was under the impression that Constantine and Papa Midnight

aren't exactly buds but aren't enemies. But have the comradeship of men that have fought together on the same side for the same thing.

I got a different vibe from this episode.

I can definitely see Supernatural in this show. I had no idea that Hellblazer was what the show is based on. And now there is Constantine. The similarities kind of smack you in the face. Not a bad thing IMO. I still watch and love Supernatural. It makes me more interested in how Constantine will handle and spin the material.

*sigh* The speculation is it looks like the chopping block might be brought out for this show. a link

Constantine: Not pulling its Grimm lead-in weight; No decision yet

Hopefully it picks up soon. I know the pilot was a bit weak sauce. But I really want to see it grow into itself. I definitely see the potential and there are already little story arc curiosities that have my interest.

I know it cost money to run a show. And if it's not pulling revenue I understand why it's beneficial to cut their losses. Before it becomes a total money sink hole.

But as a viewer. I wish that there was such a thing as a full season commitment for new shows. A lot can change in the course of a freshman show first airing and the subsequent episode that earn their audience.

Not to mention that people are consuming TV differently. I'm not sure how valuable the airing viewer rating system actually is. Or relevant to whether a show becomes a hit or not.

It premiered against the World Series, week two was on Halloween, and week three had improved ratings from week two, so I imagine NBC will give it more time before deciding its fate. IIRC, Grimm was pretty shaking ratings wise when it first started (and its first six episodes or so were pretty much rubbish).

This week's episode is by far the best one yet, and the first one that's genuinely really good. Based on the first issue of the comic, and it really got into who John Constantine actually is.

If it keeps on improving at this rate, it won't be long before this is genuinely great telly... hope NBC don't get jittery and cancel too early.

This week's episode is by far the best one yet, and the first one that's genuinely really good. Based on the first issue of the comic, and it really got into who John Constantine actually is.

If it keeps on improving at this rate, it won't be long before this is genuinely great telly... hope NBC don't get jittery and cancel too early.

Agreed

The heart was definitely there. Like it's finding it's rhythm. I really felt the improvement. It was there last episode. But this one really showed me what this can be. And how it can achieve engaging storytelling.

I think Manny came in at that right moment making the choice, sacrifice and repercussion just that much more poignant and effective.

And I was originally thinking his popping in an out would get old fast. But I appreciated how it all worked in this episode.

I am really enjoying this show. I do find, though, that Constantine's constant 'hard-boiled hero who can handle anything' schtick is getting a bit old. The character is too one-dimensional for me. I wish he were a bit more human. As it is, he appears to be almost as supernatural as the things he does battle with.

I was under the impression that Constantine and Papa Midnight

aren't exactly buds but aren't enemies. But have the comradeship of men that have fought together on the same side for the same thing.

I got a different vibe from this episode.

Moving a bit more in that direction with the latest episode 8)

Moving a bit more in that direction with the latest episode 8)

Just saw it. And yes, I agree. I like the potential.

This was a bit like kids feeling powerful while playing with matches. Until they have to battle a real fire.

Just getting ready to post that myself. At least it's not full on cancelled. :ohwell:

ETA: This gets cut but The Mysteries of Laura gets 9 more. What the fuck? It's also getting better ratings than Hannibal did, so as long as their mid-season pickups aren't all winners, there's definitely a chance of it coming back.

ETA: This gets cut but The Mysteries of Laura gets 9 more. What the fuck? It's also getting better ratings than Hannibal did, so as long as their mid-season pickups aren't all winners, there's definitely a chance of it coming back.

It's because Constantine started late in the season so they haven't got as much to go on as they usually do, but the network had to decide now. Hence the decision to hedge their bets, cutting short but not cancelling which is what that would usually mean.

Archived