Constantine Season 1 [Spoilers]

Sci-2

The Mysteries of Laura is total crap. I've tried to watch it but it's just horrific.

I'm loving how Constantine is so similar to Supernatural. It's got the same road trip-y, embattled hero sort of feel, and it also jumps around geographically. I'm hopeful that it will be picked back up - it's so good. I was a little put off by the first 2 episodes. They just seemed too predictable. The episodes after those disappointing ones have been excellent.

The Mysteries of Laura is total crap. I've tried to watch it but it's just horrific.

I'm loving how Constantine is so similar to Supernatural. It's got the same road trip-y, embattled hero sort of feel, and it also jumps around geographically. I'm hopeful that it will be picked back up - it's so good. I was a little put off by the first 2 episodes. They just seemed too predictable. The episodes after those disappointing ones have been excellent.

I wish they'd infuse a little bit of humor in it, like Supernatural and Grimm. It's just so bleak.

I'm loving how Constantine is so similar to Supernatural. It's got the same road trip-y, embattled hero sort of feel, and it also jumps around geographically.

That's really no surprise, given how heavily Supernatural is inspired by Hellblazer.

On the humour - I don't think John Constantine would suit the same type of comedy stuff that happens in Supernatural; I'm finding amusement in it, but it is pretty cynical, snarky stuff. But remember, it took Supernatural a while to find its feet in terms of the lighter part of the tone as well.

Anyway, another good episode, but I wish they'd find a better name for the mysterious evil than 'The Rising Darkness'. That's a crap name.

Manny is cool.

Felt that way about The Librarians premiere when the secret brail code on a painting's frame told them to go to a much more public location for the all-important final clue found on a sundial along major sidewalk that anyone just walking by could have read at any time over the last 300 years. There were also ~75 more instances of egregious shitcraft, almost more breakdowns in the plausibility of their world than there were lines in the script. I don't feel that way about Constantine. They do rely on pat phrases a bit much. But it's nice to not have him going on about family all the time.

Looks like the chances for season two is looking pretty good. The ratings have really picked up. There was a rather large twitter campaign

#SaveConstantine and a movement to like, favourite and follow the show on social media as a show of support and audience interest.

Now NBC has responded saying that they are baffled by talks of cancellation. (But - Renewal decision in January)

A link

or two

Haven't started watching yet but glad to hear people are enjoying it. If it is genuinely good I really hope they renew it for a second season. Got lots of uni work and stuff at the moment but will definitely start watching tgis soon. Am really surprised at myself that I haven't started already considering how much I adore Hellblazer.

Haven't started watching yet but glad to hear people are enjoying it. If it is genuinely good I really hope they renew it for a second season. Got lots of uni work and stuff at the moment but will definitely start watching tgis soon. Am really surprised at myself that I haven't started already considering how much I adore Hellblazer.

I was curious if you've seen it. It's not bad. I like the guy playing him.

• 1 month later...

Argh that's pretty bloody upsetting.

I actually enjoyed this return episode. It was a bit intense. Chas' smile at Zed when he made it in too. Was pretty hilarious. I was thinking - that was your plan? Meanwhile he is looking a bit pleased with himself.

I think it was the first time I clicked with him. Him as a character and his role beside Constantine.

• 4 weeks later...

Finale tomorrow. Was last week the first time that he actually lit up a cigarette?

WRT renewal:

"I am very, very, very hopeful," he told me. "Obviously he's such an amazing character and I feel like we've got so far to go with it. I think there's so much potential with the series, with the source material, with the character and it's something that I would really love to continue exploring. Yeah, I'm very, very hopeful. Obviously it's out of my hands. It's in the hands of the Gods, as they say, but I'm very hopeful, very, very hopeful."

Ryan isn't basing his hope on any tangible renewal negotiations, but at least he hasn't been told to abandon hope, which is the important thing.

Premiere episode was the strongest. I wanted it to keep being awesome, and they did a couple more interesting things like the fallen angel, but it did kinda flounder overall. They didn't give the demons any sharpness, no good characters or lines or agendas came out of the Meandering Darkness. It's a bit undefined so all you feel is like you're wallowing in dark depression for an hour, which I guess doesn't add new viewers that much since most people are on anti-depressants these days and are not seeking out a downer per se. I think in order to sell people on this boat ride through hell you need to offer them something particularly crisp as a reward that makes it all worth it. This could take the form of high quality "hell content" (plot and visuals) like the Constantine movie had, or something highly distinctive and memorable, etc. I think they've been trying for distinctive but not quite nailing the memorable. For example, it's kind of a surprise each week when I see the DVR is set to record this again. And I couldn't list the monsters they've had on either. Wait, there was the coal mine ghost.... and the recent killer's alternate dimension mind-domain pocket realm which got transformed from dank to sunlit garden of infinite possiblities. So they've been including interesting things, it just isn't "tight" like what you get from Hannibal and such.

Archived