MLB Offseason : Awards Abound

kairparavel

The problem is they're going to "make a stance" by keeping the so called "steroid players" out, but they will do no such thing and in fact raise nary a peep when the team owners who turned a blind eye to steroids and profited from their wide use start going in as "contributors to the game."

To say nothing of Mr. Steroid himself, Bud Selig, who's going in the second he's eligible.

So it's not a principled stance at all. It's transparent hypocritical posturing by the sportswriters with BBWAA votes, trying to advance their own personal brand names (generate clicks on their personal websites, etc.).

Also as David Ortiz shows, it's okay for a player to do steroids and have them make you better if you have a good relationship with the media. (Or if you cry your way through and apology and prostrate yourself before the media as you beg for forgiveness/"submit to their authority") You're only a badguy for doing steroids if you're already thought of as a jerk (Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod). He'll get voted in. You Watch. Principled stand My Ass.

I agree with you in regards to the owners and Selig in particular. That hypocritical fuck presided over the whole mess. You can't tell me he was in the dark regarding this. Fuck all of them. They are all complicit. Fuck the prostraters, (I'm looking at you McGwire) fuck the deniers, (Bonds and Clemens) fuck the rats, (Canseco can suck a bag of dicks) and fuck the owners who got rich off them. None of them belong in the Hall.

Dude only played half the game.

Well then it's a shame for Pedro, Randy Johnson, and every other AL pitcher because they only played half the game. Edgar was one of the best hitters of his time and the fact is that he is the best DH to ever play the game. If you are going to have the position, you have to recognize the best to play that position.

Well then it's a shame for Pedro, Randy Johnson, and every other AL pitcher because they only played half the game. Edgar was one of the best hitters of his time and the fact is that he is the best DH to ever play the game. If you are going to have the position, you have to recognize the best to play that position.

Not weighing in here, but to clarify MLB has the position, while the BBWAA has the vote. They're not the same organization.

Also as David Ortiz shows, it's okay for a player to do steroids and have them make you better if you have a good relationship with the media. (Or if you cry your way through and apology and prostrate yourself before the media as you beg for forgiveness/"submit to their authority") You're only a badguy for doing steroids if you're already thought of as a jerk (Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod). He'll get voted in. You Watch. Principled stand My Ass.

What about Andy Pettite?

He only tried it the one time he was caught. Just ask him.

He's into God...duuhhh.

Ok, but im asking do you think his relationship was strong enough with the media so that he will get into the HoF? Similar to what SDS is predicting will happen to David Ortiz.

What about Andy Pettite?

Combination of "Aw shucks, I sure am sorry I did it everybody" and effectively snitching on Clemens (he didn't actually snitch, but since Pettite went from New York to Houston and back to New York right along with Clemens, it gave the game away).

Snitching is sufficient submission to the power of The Man and will appease him if it nets a bigger fish.

Ok, but im asking do you think his relationship was strong enough with the media so that he will get into the HoF? Similar to what SDS is predicting will happen to David Ortiz.

He is not good enough I think. Also I was joking the treatment some get because the media like them is a joke. Especially the way Olney goes after Melky Cabrera compared to others.

Ortiz is a player with longevity who's apologized for performance enhancement. I grant that he's likely to get to 500 home runs, but the rest of his numbers aren't spectacular. He's been an all star, but never an MVP. Plus, again, he's a DH. He's lacking half the game for a position player.

He's not a slam dunk first ballot guy.

Pettitte doesn't deserve it. Ortiz is a tough call, he's played way less games at 1B than I thought, which is a hit against him. He's had some major clutch moments and some monster seasons but I think he will fall short. He was on the fence even without the steroid shit so that just basically eliminates him in my eyes but who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if he got in some day but definitely not 1st ballot.

I do agree with SDS that Papi's relationship with the media does absolute wonders with everything though, unfortunately. It's Papi, he's jovial and jokes with us...he's in.

So Josh Donaldson to the Jays for Brett Lawrie and an handful of mid-range prospects.

Definitely prefer Toronto's side of the deal.

But don't underestimate Franklin Barreto. He's far away from the majors, but is a very high upside prospect who should be ranked in the top 100 fairly soon.

Archived