College Football 2014: The crowning of Mariota

Kalbear

Stop Cooper, stop Alabama. Arkansas, LSU, and Ole Miss limited Cooper's involvement by commiting help to his side or outright double teaming him.

Alabama's OL is not dominant, not like they have been. Teams can play base defense and contain Yeldon and Henry. It's Cooper who opens that offense up. They'll move him around to find the match-up they want and then crush you with him. Defense backs up, the running game gets going, and that's all she wrote.

As for the other side of the ball, attack the secondary. Nick Marshall is about a career 55 percent passer, and he broke the Auburn single game yardage record against them. 450 yards passing from a guy who only had one 300 yard game in his career at Auburn. That secondary is weak, and a mobile QB gives them fits.

Can Jones be the guy to light them up on a big stage? I don't know. What I do know is that Mariota would skin them alive. MM is a lot like Marshall. Not as quick, but probably faster in a straight line and a much better passer. Assuming Oregon makes it past FSU (fingers crossed on that), I believe they have a good chance to beat Alabama even with the IEO injury.

yeah, my contention was based on the fact that tOSU is using a 3rd string qb and will be made one dimensional and thus null and void by a superior defense. tOSU has a really good defense too but I have to believe that bama will do just as mike said upthread a ways. the buckeyes will get a steady dose of cooper all over the place. if they fail to stop that or overcompensate to stop that then the yeldon/henry show gets started. tOSU is good enough to slow the tide down on offense, i believe, but the tide D is going to shut the buckeyes down...totally. i really don't see them scoring any more than 13 points (a guess, i know) and i just don't see bama being held to 12. OTOH, baylor/bama has all the makings of a shoot out because of baylor's passing attack, an area in which the tide D is certainly deficient. i just feel that it would have been a more satisfying game.

as it stands, bama is going to coast to the championship game while either the seminoles or ducks are still going to be licking wounds from the slobberknocker at the rose bowl. i think it will be the ducks but shame-us winston just seems to not be capable of losing no matter who they play or, more importantly, how badly they play.

yeah, my contention was based on the fact that tOSU is using a 3rd string qb and will be made one dimensional and thus null and void by a superior defense. tOSU has a really good defense too but I have to believe that bama will do just as mike said upthread a ways. the buckeyes will get a steady dose of cooper all over the place. if they fail to stop that or overcompensate to stop that then the yeldon/henry show gets started. tOSU is good enough to slow the tide down on offense, i believe, but the tide D is going to shut the buckeyes down...totally. i really don't see them scoring any more than 13 points (a guess, i know) and i just don't see bama being held to 12. OTOH, baylor/bama has all the makings of a shoot out because of baylor's passing attack, an area in which the tide D is certainly deficient. i just feel that it would have been a more satisfying game.

I think that Baylor-Alabama would have been a relatively dull shootout, with Bama taking it something like 45-28. Ohio State is probably the weakest team in the championship, but they are playing better and better as the year goes on, and they have dominated the two legit teams they played. The quarterback is a big mystery because Bama won't have much to go on scouting wise, which might mitate the weakness of starting a 3rd stringer. Who really knows what's going to happen in this one, I'm looking forward to it.

Sports Illustrated did a piece on third string Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones. I knew he had academic difficulties but didn't know his background. Now I'm really pulling for the guy, both on and off field. I hope he succeeds.

Here's the link:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/22/cardale-jones-ohio-state-buckeyes

that was a nice article and it always warms my heart to see triumph over adversity. thanks! i'll be pulling for them as well. i'm certainly about as far away as you can get from a tOSU fan but hating bammer is in my blood. :cheers:

Alabama has been hit and miss against good offenses. In 2011 they could have crushed anyone. In 2012 they got beat by a&m. 2013 had them struggle against auburn and Oklahoma, and they had to race a&m.

Ohio state is going to be a very interesting challenge. I tend to be pessimistic about a 3rd string qb getting their second start ever against the best defense in the country, but it's possible he's just a stud who is slightly less studly than miller or Barrett.

Alabama has been hit and miss against good offenses. In 2011 they could have crushed anyone. In 2012 they got beat by a&m. 2013 had them struggle against auburn and Oklahoma, and they had to race a&m.

Ohio state is going to be a very interesting challenge. I tend to be pessimistic about a 3rd string qb getting their second start ever against the best defense in the country, but it's possible he's just a stud who is slightly less studly than miller or Barrett.

I find it tough to buy the "they'd crush anyone" for 2011 Alabama when they faced an endless procession of brutally awful offenses.

Look at the total offense ranks for the teams they played:

Arkansas: 29

Mississippi State: 84

LSU: 86

Penn State: 95

North Texas: 96

Vanderbilt: 98

Auburn: 100

Tennessee: 104

Florida: 105

Ole Miss: 114

Kent State: 119

Still a travesty that that Bama team played for the championship.

Central Michigan made a huge comeback but were still down by 7 when they got the ball back deep on their own territory with 1 second left on the clock. They pulled it off with essentially hail mary followed by 3? laterals. Then because it´s a stupid bowl game on Bahamas on Christmas eve they decided to go for 2 and failed. 49-48 Western Kentucky.

I'm fine with going for two. The issue was they chose to go with a fade as the play call. Dumb.

Ben McAdoo disagrees.

Just saw the highlights to that game and it was awesome. The last TD was incredible. Down 35 entering the 4th quarter and 21 with 3 minutes left...and all ruined by a fade call.

Ben McAdoo disagrees.

Just saw the highlights to that game and it was awesome. The last TD was incredible. Down 35 entering the 4th quarter and 21 with 3 minutes left...and all ruined by a fade call.

Yup, one of the lowest percentage plays in football and yet some OCs are obsessed with it.

Archived