The worst thing you've ever read.

peterbound

I have a Blood Meridian inspired tattoo. I own what I like instead of dick waving about liking/not liking stuff on the internet. Ha!

I have been thinking about getting a silhouette of the Kid walking into the Judge's embrace.

I'm kidding… maybe I'll get a dancing bear.

Not including other people's research papers, The Scarlet Letter was pretty awful. Lame plot, lame characters, and having 3 pages dedicated to explaining the appearance of a door is not on my list of fun things to read about.

Folks, I don't like popcorn. Can someone hand the big bag of nachos around?

Iin order to stay on topic, one of the worst writers out there historically was probably Herodotus. One of the most famous 'historians' and travellers and one of the most gullible people ever. His stuff is mildly amusing at first (apparently, crocodiles have pig's ears and are tamed by Egyptians as pets and made to wear earrings) but its multiplicity of absurdities makes it wearying after a while. Awful writing style too.

My Greek teacher quipped that Herodotus was somewhat like 5th century BC yellow press... But still he hardly deserves mention in "the worst" thread (which of course will always turn to "bashing classics" to some extent); I think he is entertaining and readable. And I loved the use of Herodotus in "The English patient".

If we're on the subject of snacks...

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/672348/Horse_Collar_2.0.jpg

The Unremembered is worse than Stanek you say? Haha, good one. Let me check this out....

Good. GOD. :ack: :stillsick:

From page 1:

The water is cold and ruthless, lapping against my cheek.

Slapping me awake. Filling my mouth with the taste of salty solitude.

I cough violently and open my eyes, taking in the world around me. Seeing it for the first time. It’s not a world I recognize. I gaze upon miles and miles of dark blue ocean. Peppered with large floating objects. Metal. Like the one I’m lying on.

And then there are the bodies.

I count twenty in my vicinity. Two within reach. Although I don’t dare try.

I have a Blood Meridian inspired tattoo

kickass, ep. I'd love to get a tattoo of "the howl of such outrage as to stitch a caesura in the pulsebeat of the world," but dunno how that would work.

I'm pretty good at conveying the obscure into an art medium. Give me second.

Yep. Add some red.. That should do it.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20500000/Fluttershy-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-20524085-570-402.jpg

Your welcome.

If we're on the subject of snacks...

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/672348/Horse_Collar_2.0.jpg

The Unremembered is worse than Stanek you say? Haha, good one. Let me check this out....

Good. GOD. :ack: :stillsick:

From page 1:

The water is cold and ruthless, lapping against my cheek.

Slapping me awake. Filling my mouth with the taste of salty solitude.

I cough violently and open my eyes, taking in the world around me. Seeing it for the first time. It’s not a world I recognize. I gaze upon miles and miles of dark blue ocean. Peppered with large floating objects. Metal. Like the one I’m lying on.

And then there are the bodies.

I count twenty in my vicinity. Two within reach. Although I don’t dare try.

The truly scary part is that it was popular, had actual praise from real people, and even won a few awards(or was on a few best of lists at least). I feel like that guy at the cult meeting who forgot to drink the koolaid.

The Unremembered is truly heinous. I could only get through the prologue and part of the first chapter.

McCarthy's writing can range from tedious to brilliant. Personally, I find his peak to be Suttree (the 'back to the mountains' part being among the most stunning prose sections I've ever read) and Blood Meridian. He was 'discovered' and became famous with rather minor books, IMO. His style is very deliberate and conscious, though, and when it works it can really, really work. Fans of short declarative sentences and boilerplate structured books may want to stay away.

He lives less than an hour away from the town I'm in, but is reportedly extremely private--no book signings etc.

The "Herodotus" in The English Patient was actually Lyall Watson IIRC. I bought Herodotus off the back of that and was v disappointed at the lack of that passage about the winds; ended up having to spend vast amounts of cash on Watson's Heaven's Breath instead (stoopid out-of-print books in the days before Amazon Marketplace)

Archived