The worst thing you've ever read.

peterbound

Much of that series sounds like Comedy Gold, according to this forum.

The hero shatters a young girl's jaw, rips out a man's spine, and slaughters unarmed peace protesters; lesbians get their nipples cut off for magical purposes; the heroine forces a man to eat his testicles; and, their all menaced by a demonic chicken.

Oh, me and a few others I know thought they were SUPPOSED to be funny for a long time. It wasn't until I saw some interview with The Yeard talking about important human themes and how his books are REAL LITERATURE that I stopped and went...what?

Honestly? LotR. I read every stinking word of every stinking book thinking that at some point I was just going to love it.

I was miserable. It took me forever to read them because they put me to sleep.

I know I'll probably get a lot of grief for this, please understand, it's a good story and I love the movies but I cannot for the life of me understand how people enjoy reading those books.

I'm somewhat amazed that there has only been one mention of Robert Newcomb here.

I reckon I tried four or five times to get more than four chapters into his dreck and just Gave Up. I chucked it in the recycling bin as I couldn't bring myself to inflict it on some poor sod through a goodwill store.

Honestly? LotR. I read every stinking word of every stinking book thinking that at some point I was just going to love it.

I know I'll probably get a lot of grief for this, please understand, it's a good story and I love the movies but I cannot for the life of me understand how people enjoy reading those books.

Its ok. I feel the same way about people who enjoy the LOTR movies.

I've been fairly lucky personally and havent really read any truly awful books. A few classic books I have disliked, true, but I wouldn't say they were the worst...I've read the first Eragon book, but don't recall much of it so I suppose this falls under the worst book umbrella.

Oh, I know. Blood of Requiem. It was free, I needed something to read, so I downloaded it. Never finished it but damn what an atrocious pile of crap that was.

Its ok. I feel the same way about people who enjoy the LOTR movies.

I've been fairly lucky personally and havent really read any truly awful books. A few classic books I have disliked, true, but I wouldn't say they were the worst...I've read the first Eragon book, but don't recall much of it so I suppose this falls under the worst book umbrella.

Oh, I know. Blood of Requiem. It was free, I needed something to read, so I downloaded it. Never finished it but damn what an atrocious pile of crap that was.

:lol: I'm not sure if I really enjoyed the movies or was just happy to not be reading the books anymore!

:grouphug:

I understand how you feel because I feel the same way about The Great Gatsby. It took me two years to finish it. I get that it's a complex tale and its awesome and a classic and no one is ever allowed to say anything bad about it, but dear gods it killed me. I know I sound ignorant and stupid but yeah, I really tried and failed to like it. It definitely doesn't belong in the worst-things-I've-ever-read list but it does belong in the classics pile I wish had never been recommended to me.

I understand how you feel because I feel the same way about The Great Gatsby. It took me two years to finish it. I get that it's a complex tale and its awesome and a classic and no one is ever allowed to say anything bad about it, but dear gods it killed me. I know I sound ignorant and stupid but yeah, I really tried and failed to like it. It definitely doesn't belong in the worst-things-I've-ever-read list but it does belong in the classics pile I wish had never been recommended to me.

TGG actually wasn't all that liked I'm its day.

I hated the fucking thing, and the whole 'gatsby cluster'

Wow, if lotr is actually the worst book you've ever read, you seem to be the luckiest person in this planet.

I don't find His Dark Materials *bad*, just incredibly disappointing. Pullman took armoured polar bears and a War Against God and made it boring.

I kept waiting for something. And then this happened:

Yeah it wasn't so much the writing as the fact that he turned my favorite character from the first book into a scared little girl that needed to be rescued by men. The fuck. I could go on for pages on that one.

All of you who think Goodkind is the worst there is are lucky. Not that he doesn't suck ass, but my god there is some real trash out there that defies explanation.

But overall, I thought it was an okay series with an okay ending. And I really loved his worlds. I will, however, conceded that it felt like he may have started the series with way too many plots and then the books ended up being plotless somehow. I don't know how to explain it, but I felt there wasn't really a plot in the end...yet there were too many...or that things were not as interconnected as I had hopped they would be, like a series of short stories with a common theme and a character who gets to visit all the worlds. To this day I cannot really say I could write a synopsis for those books.

Also, we were never told the name of the golden monkey daemon...one of those things that just occurred to me.

Ever heard of Chetan Bhagat ?

The dude who writes like a sexed up teen girl? Didn't someone make a movie based on one of his books or something?

Those Stormdance(er?) books, the japanese "inspired" (aka he watched akira and read a wiki article on japan, I shit you not its in an interview)steampunk books make me want to tear my hair(what's left of it) out and scream. I mean I don't expect historical accuracy in SFF but Good lord man, I;ve never seen someone butcher a culture that bad, even on purpose. Orson Scott Card is nicer to Muslims.

The ones by Jay Kristoff? I ended up buying the second book (didn't even realise it was the second) for £1 (which is why I bought it....) I just don't get the point in it. It's kinda hard to read. And doesn't feel remotely japanese to me either.

I think the whole Divergent series was just absolutely pointless. All that drivel only for

Tris to die in the end anyway. What was the fucking point? Felt like the series was for nothing.

I haven't really read many bad books but I'm guessing Stanek would be up there if I wasn't afraid of gouging my eyes out from the sheer agony I would get.

:grouphug: Exactly

Wow, if lotr is actually the worst book you've ever read, you seem to be the luckiest person in this planet.

The thing is usually if I start reading a book & it bores me to pieces I don't continue reading it. I kept reading LotR because it was supposed to be great.

I don't know if I'd call it the worst, and I don't even remember the name but whoever wrote and whoever edited it didn't know what a paragraph or period was. You don't realize how important those things are to reading until they're gone.

I'm somewhat amazed that there has only been one mention of Robert Newcomb here.

I reckon I tried four or five times to get more than four chapters into his dreck and just Gave Up. I chucked it in the recycling bin as I couldn't bring myself to inflict it on some poor sod through a goodwill store.

Good to know that i didnt suffer alone. I actually read more than 4 chapters thinking it would improve :bang:

@Wawa , no reason to insult teen girls,(;) ) and they're making 50 shades too.

It's not just that he can't write but he panders to the target audience and that's why he's books are selling

' India doesn't need engineers, we need lovers !'

'Big business is the bane of our villages'

'She was hot for a bramhin'

WTF!!! :rofl:

The thing is usually if I start reading a book & it bores me to pieces I don't continue reading it. I kept reading LotR because it was supposed to be great.

And just because you found it boring it was the worst book you've ever read? I can understand it when people say that they don't like the books, they have different expectations, other preferences, and so on. But saying it's the worst book you've ever read, just because you found it boring? The most boring book I've ever read is by far not the worst thing I've ever read.

Don't get me wrong, but I just want to understand why you find it the worst.

Archived