The worst thing you've ever read.

peterbound

Ewwwww I once read Chris Bunch: Storm of Wings (Dragonmaster #1)

It was just so dull and boring... even as a younger pre-teen reader just still so boring...

Pretty sure I mentioned before but like DR2 I read SoT books in my younger years. I feel as if TG personally slapped me in the face with a shitty stick - when I think of lining his pockets... At least noble goats always give me a chuckle.

The last few books in L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series. Yes, I've read all 10 of them. The first were actually decent, but the last two were mindbogglingly boring and just plain dumb on all levels.

The series also features easily the worst case of a Gary Stu character ever who is annoying throughout, but gets absolutely insufferable in the last few books.

Thanks David! forgot to add:

L. Ron Hubbards Mission Earth #1

Like David said main character is a Gary Stu, I sort of gave up at the point when some crazy torturer lady falls in love with main guy... cos he's awesome? I never finished the first one because I just thought - there's no way ill finish the series and this sucks so shy bother.

Not counting fanfiction, the worst book I have ever completed is The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks.

I'll also confess to reading some Sara Douglass books, but I was trying to impress a girl who was really, really into them. So I have an excuse. Sort of.

That's how I ended up reading the entire Twilight Saga. I swear it by the old gods and the new, it was the worst thing I've ever read.

Thanks David! forgot to add:

L. Ron Hubbards Mission Earth #1

Like David said main character is a Gary Stu, I sort of gave up at the point when some crazy torturer lady falls in love with main guy... cos he's awesome? I never finished the first one because I just thought - there's no way ill finish the series and this sucks so shy bother.

The guy gets to be even more of a Gary Stu later on. Yeah, I know it's hard to believe.

He ended up saving both Earth and his own galactic empire pretty much single-handedly. For like 4 books he lived at an elite brothel and every prostitute there was in love with him, he had sex with any of them whenever he wanted, and of course he was a God in bed. He was killing whole groups of gangsters without any weapons - he killed eight thugs at once with his baseball shoes. Everyone he met started to worship him after about 5 minutes except the totally evil guys.

I've read some pretty awful dreck from 3rd-tier Dungeons and Dragons writers, but without question Eragon was the worst thing I've ever read. The fact that such hacky, derivative crap got published, and even made into a movie, makes me question the existence of a just and loving God.

Eragon probably, but I haven't read as many books as I'd like to. With Eragon I read the first three, with no desire to finish.

I see a lot of posts on the interwebs of how the Eragon movies was awful and they should re do it. No, they shouldn't, because the source material is awful. Some names are lifted right the fuck out of LotR, and the plot is basically Star Wars. If I want to experience LotR, I'd read it, and if I wanted to experience Star Wars, I'd watch it. I don't need some dudes mash up of the two with lots of dragons and bad characters.

Eragon. Its probably not the worst stuff out they're but I've managed to avoid most of the truly horrific shit cause I only really read things I get several recommendations for.

But holy shit it was just drivel with some of the most purple prose I've ever seen I mean why just say that it was dawn when you could go on a two paragraph attempt at some shitey poetry.

And at least most incredibly shit books are recognised as shit, this somehow though has a following who insist that its one of the great fantasy stories and if it wasn't for the studios "butchering" the film it could have become a franchise

Two pieces of well-regarded literature that I hated were The Waves by Virginia Woolf, and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Among speculative literature, I loathed Dune Messiah, and couldn't get into Tales of the Dying Earth at all.

The absolutely outstanding piece of complete dreck is one that I've mentioned on the Best Historical Novels thread. Vengeance is Mine (aka The Tudor Wife) by Brandy Purdy. It features a lesbian sex scene between Katherine Howard and Anne of Cleves, and Henry VIII asking Ann Boleyn "Honey, would you fix me some toast"

I've read some pretty awful dreck from 3rd-tier Dungeons and Dragons writers, but without question Eragon was the worst thing I've ever read. The fact that such hacky, derivative crap got published, and even made into a movie, makes me question the existence of a just and loving God.

And sold millions of copies.

Archived